Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Keyhole : Google enter the mapping market
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Keyhole : Google enter the mapping market

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Google Keyhole : Google enter the mapping market Reply with quote

Google keyholePocketGPSWorld.com reporting live from the WebmasterWorld conference in Las Vegas. Dominic Preuss a Strategic Technology Evangelist from Google gave us a demonstration of the new product Google Keyhole, a satellite imaging application including integrated overlays for roads and POIs.

Google recently acquired a company called Keyhole giving it the opportunity to release a product that has been branded as "Google Keyhole". Why is a Google product of interest to PocketgpsWorld.com? Because it provides World Wide geo-referenced satellite images, these are searchable in the same manner as products like Microsoft Mappoint, Mapblast.com etc.

Click here to find out what Google's mapping is all about...

Last edited by MikeB on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an utterly stunning application - though I can find little use for it whatsoever !

It really is quite brilliant - albeit there's no useful information for anywhere outside the USA. In particular, there's nothing of any use for the UK.

Nevertheless, it's a jaw-dropping piece of eyecandy.

Clap
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a little similair to World Wind, which is a free-open source program you can download from NASA.

Quote:
World Wind allows any user to zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth, leveraging high resolution LandSat imagery and SRTM elevation data to experience Earth in visually rich 3D, just as if they were really there.

Particular focus was put into the ease of usability so people of all ages can enjoy World Wind. All one needs to control World Wind is a two button mouse. Additional guides and features can be accessed though a simplified menu. Navigation is automated with single clicks of a mouse as well as the ability to type in any location and automatically zoom into it.

Check out this screenshot I took of LA using it. Well worth a download, and free too! Smile
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started to download WorldWind (I thought Keyhole was great so worth seeing what this is like), and it's 260MB - if you have a dial-up, don' t bother!
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have mentioned that you definitely need broadband for World Wind. Even one you have downloaded it you still need to connect to the internet to download the LandSat data. After all, satellite imagery of most of the earth down to 100m takes up a few terrabytes of disk space, so you just download what you need on demand (it is cached locally, though, once downloaded).
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a complete load of crap! The ‘Address’ panel doesn’t recognise anything outside of the US (nothing unusual for the Americans there then..) and merely goes to the country of choice. I tried a number of UK and European addresses and each one was unrecognised and when zooming in, all you got was a ‘pea (or pee?) green soup. And they really expect people to subscribe to this!
CharlieM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countryman it tells you most of that information on the home page mate so you could have saved yourself a download. I personally think it's an excellent piece of software that shows the potential for this type of system. I'm quite intrigued to try out wirlwind but think I may get into trouble if i download it at work as it'll hog the bandwidth. Keyhole was around a while ago as Keyhole Viewer and had a higher priced subscription which I see has now come down quite a bit probably thanks to Google taking it over.
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Countryman it tells you most of that information on the home page mate >so you could have saved yourself a download.
I know, but it was fun finding out the hard way and I needed a rant having had a stroppy IDS playing up all afternoon Twisted Evil (Thats an Intrusion Detection System and not Ian Duncan Smith I hasten to add!) I was impressed with its picture of one of our offices in the US though. However, like 'Lost Cause' I struggle to think of a legal use for the App. :D
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Northampton and it shows that in good detail.

Unfortunately though my house is just outside its selection.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: