Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi range
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi range Reply with quote

Hi.

I have just bought a Garmin nuvi 2508 for my wife, who is a new driver.

The reasons for buying was traffic alerts, camera alerts and lane guidance.

We tried it out last night and weren't impressed. I have now found out that lane guidance is only available in certain places, but it didn't even show that there were 2 lanes. The pink direction line covered the both lanes. I realise that it won't always tell you which lane to be in, but it would be nice to see the layout properly.

She needed it for this morning, but it is not working. It keeps searching for satellites. If it doesn't start working I'll be taking it back.

Are there any others that have traffic and cameras, but show the proper layout?

Thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi range Reply with quote

deuce wrote:
It keeps searching for satellites. If it doesn't start working I'll be taking it back.
Are you trying to get a sat lock whilst you are driving? If so, it will likely take a while. Let it get a lock before you start driving.
Quote:
Are there any others that have traffic and cameras, but show the proper layout?
You asked the same question, which was answered, in your previous post on the subject so I can't see why you are asking it again. Are you expecting a more favourable answer?

The short answer is 'no'. The longer answer is that it depends on the map data and how the device manages this data. In the main, only large or busy junctions are covered by lane assist and not all junctions.

A good rule of thumb is that if the satnav tells you to turn left, then get into the left hand lane etc.
deuce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8TJT.

I was sat in my house and it said the same thing for an hour. I turned it on and off a few times as well.

When I say "proper layout" I just mean that the thick direction line doesn't cover all lanes. It would be better if that disappeared when coming up to the junction. I'm not expecting the split screen with lane guidance on every junction.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that all my Garmins have only acquired a satellite fix indoors when the unit is near a window and preferably vertical, not just laid flat. If you're having issues in the car then check you haven't got one of these athermic windscreens or whatever they call them as they can block the signal.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those windscreens on my Focus and no issue with my GPS, or on my Mondeo before that.

You're unlikely to get a fix inside, and as already mentioned if you drive off before getting a fix it takes longer to acquire one as it's trying to shoot at a moving target.

I plug mine in when I get in the car. By the time I'm belted up etc it has obtained a fix. Note also that if you switch it on at a different location from when you switched it off that will also lengthen the time to acquire a fix.

As for the direction line, try switching the Map theme to Navigon, some folks find that better than the Garmin one (which is the default). It's under Settings, Map & Vehicle.

As for the lane to be in if the magenta line covers the road normal rules apply. Lane 1 if turning left. Lane 2 if turning right. Either if going straight on. If your wife is a new driver that should be fresh in her mind Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: