Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 - In depth review now available Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comRarely has a new device been so eagerly anticipated as has Satmap's Active 10. Combining all the features of a traditional handheld outdoor GPS with full colour mapping from Ordnance Survey, the Active 10 is waterproof and hailed by Satmap as 'the ultimate sports GPS'.

We first made mention of Satmap's Active 10 back in March 2007 having seen it on display at the NEC Outdoors Show. Shortly afterwards we had another opportunity to see it when Satmap attended our GPS Expo at Sandown Park in April. Even though the halls were filled with GPS users all used to seeing all manner of devices it still caused many ooh's and ah's when shown. The device was still at an early stage in its conception and the software was far from complete but it was clear even then that Satmap were onto a winner.

So has it been worth the wait? The Active 10 went on sale late last year and such was the demand, Satmap had problems fulfilling orders let alone supplying units to press for review. However our turn finally came and PocketGPSWorld have had a review unit for a few months now. We have tried to cover every facet of this device in our review.

Click here to read the full review...

Last edited by Darren on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the review which was most thorough in the areas it addressed. I would like to have seen more hard facts on the start up time and the ability to hold lock in dense tree coverage. It would also have been good to have these parameters compared with the corresponding ones for the Garmin 60 CSx, a set which many of us regard as the benchmark receiver. It was underperformance in these areas that made me abandon the Active 10 and go back to my Garmin (in spite of its inferior mapping).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly add those findings, although I don't have a 60 to directly compare with I can compare start-up against a SiRFIII GPS which may be useful.

In my experience (and I did mention this briefly) whilst the Active 10 is slow to achieve an initial lock, once it has done so it is well able to hold on to the fix even in very trying and marginal conditions and will quickly re-acquire a fix if you enter then exit a building for example.

Part of my testing was a route under relatively dense tree cover and I never had an issue with lock being lost in those situations. The initial fix does take far longer from cold than other devices which is surprising. Perusal of the satellite status screen suggests it may simply have a higher threshold for determining a valid satellite as other testing suggest no issue with its actual sensitivity.

Whilst the slow initial start-up is an issue I have mentioned, it quickly became something I adapted to, whilst preparing a for a walk I would give the unit time to acquire its initial fix as I donned gear etc.
SteveActon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just read the review on the active 10 which has just been posted. I've been looking at this unit with the intention of investing in one in the very near future.
I have come to the conclusion that its well worth the investment, after readig posts on this Forum ( by the way a big well done on all who post their advice and views).
One quick question can I purchase directly from Satmap?
Keep up the good work, i'm sure I'll be asking help over the next few months as a newbie soon on Active 10. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveActon wrote:
One quick question can I purchase directly from Satmap?

Keep up the good work, i'm sure I'll be asking help over the next few months as a newbie soon on Active 10. Very Happy

Indeed you can:

http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good review...your last 'Cons' comment...'No anti theft device'. How would you achieve this ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Very good review...your last 'Cons' comment...'No anti theft device'. How would you achieve this ?

I was thinking along the lines of an Owner Screen that could not be deleted or changed unless you knew the PIN No that secured it? It could have a backup where you could supply ownership details to Satmap who could then supply an unlock perhaps?

I know this won't prevent theft but it'd make subsequent identification of a stolen unit easier and perhaps dissuade others from misappropriating it?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an incredibly poor review....not one photo of someone in a red coat waving around a unit that hasn't been turned on saying nothing more than we knew from press releases a year ago!!! Laughing

But seriously, a good review....funny how we all seem to start with how good the packaging is!! Very Happy
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, you have sold me the unit! Like SteveActon I have been umming and aahing whether to buy one and have been studying the reviews and comments made in this forum almost daily. My Garmin Vista is dying on me and my 12XL is too bulky and heavy, so I have been looking for a replacement for a while and when I read about the launch of the Satmap I was excited but hesitant to dive right in until there was sufficient feedback to convince me of a purchase. Your review has done just that and to echo SteveActon's comment thanks to everyone that contributes to the forum. All I need is to find a local supplier that actually has one in stock! Probably go the mail order from Satmap route. I will have a go at the the Ffordd y Bannau (Beacons Way) again with it!

Looking forward to the box too robs1972, as that has had many good reviews!! I hope it doesn't disappoint ( the box I mean)!
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Darren, I've also been considering one of these for my walks, the mapping will be ideal for this of course. A bonus for me is if anything should go wrong this company is local.
If anyone is seriously that enamoured of the box, go and buy a Motorola RAZR V3i, it has exactly the same packaging and it costs less that the Active 10
Now where did I put my credit card ?
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruggen wrote:
If anyone is seriously that enamoured of the box, go and buy a Motorola RAZR V3i, it has exactly the same packaging and it costs less that the Active 10

My tongue was firmly inside my cheek about the box! Wink
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here cwmboy!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just a gentle reminder that we'd welcome any routes for inclusion in the 'Walks' thread (see the 'Related Articles' link at the bottom of the review), all I need is the .map file and if possible a description of the route, brief or otherwise.

If we can get the ball rolling here we can create a very useful resource for all Active 10 owners.
ANDYatPGPSW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review of the bits covered, but I would have liked to see some comments on using it in a car. How good is the routing in this respect? I can see that it must be usable, but I would like to have seen some hands-on feedback
I still use my Garmin GPSmap60CS (my 4th Garmin over 20 years). It's great for walking, but also excellent in the car, but I didn't upgrade to the 60CSx mainly because I don't like the portrait screen. My old GPS11+ & GPS111+ both offered landscape mode as well. But the possibilty of colour OS mapping on the SatMap is very tempting to make a change, especially as the display is better anyway
p.s. Should the comments on the on/off position also be in the 'Pros/Cons' section at the end of the review?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANDYatPGPSW wrote:
Good review of the bits covered, but I would have liked to see some comments on using it in a car. How good is the routing in this respect? I can see that it must be usable, but I would like to have seen some hands-on feedback

Not covered because it's not designed nor intended for such use, it has not routing functionality?
Quote:
p.s. Should the comments on the on/off position also be in the 'Pros/Cons' section at the end of the review?

Noted

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: