Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux GM-270 Ultra CF Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux GM-270 Ultra CF Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux GM-270 Ultra CF Card Reply with quote

We have just completed the review of the Holux GM-270 Ultra CF Card.
Last month we covered the Holux GM-270, and this is the new XTrac High Sensitivity version of it's older brother. In this review we are going to look at the new Holux GM-270 Ultra and how it compares with the older GM-270.

The full review can be read here.
gpsfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think there's a future for "single mode" Xtrac receivers when there are dual mode receivers like the Fortuna Pocketxtrack that was tested on GpsPasSion http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=69 and that costs only 149 euros, i.e. less than the Holux Ultra?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a future for them. The tests we have carried out, XTrac works extremely well in most environments, sceptics will probably go for a dual mode card, but you have to power down, switch, power up the card, which is a manual process and cannot be automated or software driven.

Although we haven't opened up a Pocket Xtrack yet, I suspect you'll see that the manual switch is a to switch a gate across the circuit board between a SiRF chip without XTrac firmware loaded, and to one with XTrac firmware loaded. Like all sorts of almalgamations, there's probably going to be other problems that are seen a little further down the road.

Personally for walking or driving, I'd much rather have an XTrac receiver. Now if I was trying to get pin-point accuracy with WAAS support, then I definately would want to use a regular GPS Receiver over XTrac.
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Interesting review...CF card over cabled? Reply with quote

Hi again Dave. Once again, thank you for a very informative review. I am new to the PDA market and purchased mine recently with a view to assisting with my business travels across the country. I had almost decided on the TomTom bluetooth until I read the article on your site about bluetooth receivers dying (albeit under warranty). The only person I know who currently owns a GPS (Socket Bluetooth) has also had several replacements.

It is with interest that I read your CF review. It is a form of GPS I hadn't considerd. I liked the bluetooth option due to the possibility of mobility. Walking through those London streets for example. It would appear that the CF option would give me that option. 99% of usage would be in car. I note your comments regarding high speed driving (and must confess that most of mine is at high speeds (all legal of course!)). I have several questions and would value your opinion:

1. What kind of usage time would I lose from my Ipaq 2210 given that the CF GPS is obviously sharing the Ipaqs battery?
2. Given that I want the unit primarily for driving and using the TomTom package, what option would you choose. Bluetooth, in car cabled or CF?

Thank you in advance for your valued opinion. Once again....thanks for superb site. Really is first class!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You would probably see up to a couple of hours less using a CF card over BT GPS.

2) My ultimate selection would be Bluetooth and a Cabled mouse, that way I have backup for when I forget to charge the BT GPS :D But if you're just after one, my option would be Cabled for in-car only use as you get the charger cable all in, or BT GPS which would give you the ability to use it out of car. CF is good, but if you plan to use it extensively for long periods of time outside the car you will need a battery charger to take a long with you to charge/replenish the Pocket PC battery.

Thanks for the great comments Chris!
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave. Thanks for your prompt and informative reply. And your welcome to my comments, just tells it as it is!!

I think I have almost ruled out the bluetooth option based on the longevity issue. I really do want my investment to be able to last more than a year and with stories of BT GPSs failing reguarly, this does not fill me with confidence. This is a shame as it would have pesented me with an ideal option.

My needs to me mobile out of the car are really very low. It may be that I never use it in this manner. However, I would like to know that I could if I needed to! Given that the majority of my usage will be in car, I think the power consumption may not be a major issue as the Ipaq with be powered from a car adapter.

I get the impression from your reply that you beleive CF adapters to be good. Your review states that the Xtrac receiver may not be ideal for me due to the speed of driving and possible inaccuracies that could occur. Are standard adapters still suitable for in car use? Would I get satisfactory fixes from in car? Is there a current CF adapter that you would recommend that gives better performance in car?

Thanks again. Your advice is always very valuable.

Regars, Chris.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, you certainly would get a fix in-car, but not if you have a heat reflective windscreen.

Personally the best CF card I've seen work in-car is the SysOnChip CF Plus, but this is XTrac too, and you may notice lag/snapping to the wrong roads depending on the amount of satellite locks you have.

If you would still like in-car and outdoor use, then you may want to consider the Haicom 303MMF, this is a CF card that folds up into a mouse and you can get the best of both worlds. We should have a review early next week on this. Thumbs Up
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave. I look forward to the Haicom 303MMF review and will hold off any purchases until then.

Regards, Chris.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: