Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder - the drop downs use the css pseudo-class 'hover' which is essentially unusable on a pda as there is no cursor to 'hover' over the link text! clicking on the menu item itself will take you to a new 'sub menu' that gives 'normal' links to all the items in the dropdown menu.

however, i just remembered that if the site detects a mobile browser you get shown a (relatively old) pda version of the menu!!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I have a mouse on the Ameo and Artemis (I know PPC is different to PC so I can see why this won't work), either way any faster load up of the pages when mobile is a most welcome addition - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you will never please everyone and it would be unrealistic to believe otherwise.

My setup is a 12" tablet laptop at 1280x800 resolution. Because of the portable size, the minimum font needs to be cranked up to within Firefox, 14pt being my preference. Unfortunately, this gives the results below where to vertical spacing of text (where an entry creates a second line) becomes merged.

This is not particular to PGPSW but several other sites also. It is something that I have accepted. But since these smaller laptops and UMPCs are getting more popular, it just may be something to consider when your priority set is complete. Maybe a setting for vertical spacing?

BTW I experience the same as Mike with pocket IE Plus.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mullet, i may be able to get round this by setting the dropdown width in 'em' rather than pixels. this would set the width relative to the font size but it may take a bit more fiddling than just changing one value.

i'll pobably get chance to take a look next week, but if i forget then feel free to send me a PM or an email!

MaFt
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
I think you need to open up the news section a bit. Not everyone likes forums. While a great many of the website visitors are only browsing, most likely as a result of a google search, (notice how so many of the gps related searches on google come here) many probably won't post.

Give visitors something to browse outside of the forum, like a better News page layout something akin to the bbc news front page, with easier links to the reviews, videos, pictures, wallpapers etc.

Example:- If I were a new comer how easy would it be for me to happen across the tomtom cursors, or poi's which are at the bottom of the page. Things like this are what make pgpsw what it is so put them at the top and make them visable.

Maybe it's time to look at a few new forum suppliers.

Thanks mostdom, hopefully you'll agree that we're moving in the right direction in reference to the extra news, reviews and freebie links in the top menu and the reviews and article links on the left of the page. The Full Listing page should also prove useful.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Thanks mostdom, hopefully you'll agree that we're moving in the right direction in reference to the extra news, reviews and freebie links in the top menu and the reviews and article links on the left of the page. The Full Listing page should also prove useful.

Spotted that! Took me a bit by surprise this evening to get the dropdown menus and such, quite impressive and very smart.

A good gauge for these thing is how intuitive they are. So after several clicks to try and get to my usual favorite starting point for checking the forums I realized that something had changed and had to re think my navigation. (almost got my navman out). I'll avoid making too strong a comment at this point, because as a seasoned user I'm biased to the site working in a particular way so I'll have to put my novice head back on and report later.

Thanks

Will you guys be making those dropdown menu options bigger and bolder later, as they don't stand out enough from the google advert. Better still if you can turn them into buttons of a sort!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new drop down menus don't work with Iphone! I just tried the site on my iphone and the top logo is tiny with no menu options. Even if I stab at where the buttons are I simply get the return to home page result.

I just thought you needed to know, keep up the good work! Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play around with the top nav text size and presentation later today and, as MikeB and Darren both have iPhones, I would suspect that issue will be resolved (or allowed to fail more elegantly!) soon Smile
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l ola wrote:
How about mailing companies (M&S, Shell etc) and ask them to supply a list of stores with GPS coordinates. Many of the Shell VPower sites for example are out of date (so is the Shell website I may add). I hope forward thinking companies would assign this little task to the office junior in the hope of raising business.

Thanks for your suggestion l ola, we have taken our first step towards this. Your idea spurred:
Your Organisation on 1000's of SatNavs for Free! and we have just added it to our top navigation menu.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much clearer and easier to use now. Thanks for PGPSW's work! Very Happy

Might it be worth adding the 'News and Latest Information' forum as a specific forum sub-item?

Last edited by BigPerk on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockin_plumber wrote:
Here is one.......
Its not a problem........
But it might cut down on duplicate threads Confused
Every time a new database is released we get a new threads thanking you for the free lifetime membership.....
And them maybe another few thread requesting status is changed to lifetime member.......
And maybe mention that lifetime membership will only be credited for 20 years then re-applied after this time as the software only allows 20 years to be credited to the accounts.
Now I dont know if this is included in the e-mail you send out to break the good news, but how about.........

To thank us for our generosity & to request your status changed to lifetime member for all to see please visit THIS THREAD
You may also notice your membership has only been extended by 20 years, but rest assured if we are still here in 20 years your membership will be extened again at this time.

Or words to that effect Very Happy

Thanks rockin_plumber.

When we extend membership to life, an automatic email acknowledgement is delivered in exactly the same way and using the same system as a normal year's subscription.

I have therefore added your points to the standard mail-out, so at least everyone is prepared at sign-up and then reminded when they 'get life' Smile
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Would it make things clearer if all the icons and other clickable items which are down the left hand side of the (quite long) page be put across the top as either text, icons, both, or as tabs with possibly just the main item, eg Members Area, on the Home page and all relevant sub-items coming up on the topic, (eg) Members Area, page (and remove any duplicates, such as the entry into the camera database mentioned earlier)?

If so is this easy or difficult with your current website product?

Cheers BigPerk, hope you like your own bespoke navigation system Smile
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reviews - making it better Reply with quote

Riggar wrote:
You really do need to do something about your reviews - the way they are laid out, access (perhaps by manufacturer, date of review at least) – besides the broad (and useful) categories you already have.

Many thanks Riggar, the reviews links are now in the top and left hand menus along with a new index page.

Is this the type of thing you had in mind? Can you suggest any more improvements?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Might it be worth adding the 'News and Latest Information' forum as a specific forum sub-item?

Thanks again, I've added it. Keep the suggestions coming Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: