Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommend Auto-Geo-Tagging Camera or Camera Phone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend Auto-Geo-Tagging Camera or Camera Phone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsoncpu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Recommend Auto-Geo-Tagging Camera or Camera Phone? Reply with quote

I would like my next digital camera to auto-geotag my pictures (so much simpler than the add-on processes, or - heaven forbid - trying to remember to write down where each pic was taken while on vacation!).

Even better would be a camera phone that did this, as long as the pictures taken were of good quality (5 Megapixel, nice lens), although I'm a strictly amateur photographer. (If it was a camera phone, one less thing to carry.)

Even better would be a camera phone that works in the US and Europe. (I bought a separate phone for Europe, pay-as-you-go.)

Any recommendations? Do any of the Nokia models I've heard a bit about do any or all of this?

Again:
Must take auto-geo-tagged pictures.
Better if phone.
Best if US + Europe phone.

Thanks!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this with a number of HTC based phones, the Artemis and Touch Cruise both do this with certain limitations, the Artemis uses the correnct Deg, Min values but messes up the seconds values, the Touch Cruise will not work correctly between zero degrees and one degree West for some strange reason. In both cases you need the reg edit the phone to enable the GPS Camera mode, oh and the cameras are not that good in terms of picture quality.
It is possible to use the Nikon Digital SLR (I cannot remember the exact model) with an accessory to do this and get stunning pictures - at a price - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wilsoncpu,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

I too would also like my next camera to have GPS capabilities for Geo-logging. Currently the Nikon D3 and D300 can do this when you use addition hardware. For further information have a look here.

Personally, I'm going to wait a bit, as I'm sure that a lot more cameras (SLRs and Compacts) will get GPS built-in, once the manufactures see that GPS is a requirement of more and more people. Hopefully prices will also drop! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already a couple of compact digital cameras with GPS. Ricoh even offer one that has GPS AND is waterpoof.
wilsoncpu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There are already a couple of compact digital cameras with GPS. Ricoh even offer one that has GPS AND is waterpoof.

Could you provide any details? Such as other brand names, or even recommended models? One Ricoh I see is $1800 and only 3 Megapixel; GE is coming out with one later this year, but that's no help now. What do people think of the Nokia phone/cameras? Or do those not really have auto-geotagging?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh 500SE
Ricoh G3
Altek GPS camera

I'm sure Casio have one but can't find reference to it now!
wilsoncpu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ricoh 500SE
Ricoh G3
Altek GPS camera

I'm sure Casio have one but can't find reference to it now!

Better and better... Unfortunately, from what I read the two Ricoh cameras are actually "GPS-ready", not ""GPS-enabled", in the sense that they have connectors allowing the attachment of a GPS device, but have no GPS chip already inside. Which raises the question: how much extra would the GPS device be? (Plus it's another thing to pack/forget/break, Laughing Out Loud)

And the Altek article says "when it hits the market", and "if the image quality is up to snuff", indicating it's not yet available, so we don't know how good the shots will be.

So it seems right now the Ricoh's are the closest now available, just with an unknown extra cost for the GPS add-on.

(Unless someone with a Nokia can clear up their geotagging potential.)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, my bad, I hadn't realised the GPS was clip on on the 500SE Crying or Very sad It retails at £674.98 inc VAT.

Your other option and one that works very well is to use a Geotagging Bluetooth GPS. See a review of one we did recently here.
wilsoncpu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ah yes, my bad, I hadn't realised the GPS was clip on on the 500SE Crying or Very sad It retails at £674.98 inc VAT.

Your other option and one that works very well is to use a Geotagging Bluetooth GPS. See a review of one we did recently here.

I've seen those mentioned before. Of course, I'm lazy, so I'd rather the camera do all the work, tagging the shots as I go, rather than me having to do two separate data downloads. (Plus, I have a Mac, so that's one more irritation.) I suppose I'll wait until I find a fully-integrated model of some sort. (Who knows, a random Nokia owner may give us the low-down on their qualifications!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: