Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman F20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman F20
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Navman F20 Reply with quote

Hi All,
ive just got a f20 from santa, for sum reason it tells me to go straight on at a road i use when infact you have to go left the go round a roundabout to come back on yourself, its as if it dont see the bend and roundabout, this bit of road has been there for years as well, ive also noticed that there are old raods showing up that are not there anymore, Do i need to update my maps ? ive only had it since xmas and thought it would be up to date. im not even sure how i go about updating it.

Thanks for your time

Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to PGPSWorld and welcome to SatNavs!
Normal peoples' idea of what "up to date" means and ALL satnav makers idea are very different!!

If you have a look through the forum topics, you'll find lots of reports of missing or out of date roads. The maps are generally 2 years out of date at any time, but there are often errors that are much older than that.

All the major manufacturers use mapping data from only two companies (Tele Atlas and Navteq) and the debate ranges endlessly about which is best. They are both about the same although TeleAtlas seems to get more flack for their slowness in adding changes that people have reported.
My feeling is that if one WAS significantly worse than the other, then there would only BE one by now, if you see what I mean?

Finally, if you can find the map version you have from an on-screen menu (sorry I don't know Navman at all), you can probably check it against what is being sold on their website.
Unfortunately it is usually near impossible to get specific information from the makers about what has been updated in "new" maps, so the best way is to ask on forums like this one... Give exact details of a location that is wrong on your map (preferably Lat/Long co-ordinates) and if there is someone with the latest map for your device they will usually let you know.
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back.

when i turn it on it says version 4.20 the build is 4.10.1029 built on 2007/02/12

can you buy map updates ? im after the camera updates as well not sure if they sell the both together or not.

another thing i noticed was on 2 outtings i did it took for ever to get the satalites up i drove about 10 mins befor they kicked in.

thanks again

Tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyhaz wrote:
another thing i noticed was on 2 outtings i did it took for ever to get the satalites up i drove about 10 mins befor they kicked in.

Satnav works by triangulation of your location to three or more moving satelites and takes a period of time to achieve 'lock' depending on whether you have moved location since the last lock. (GPS device knows where you are) and the length of time since last lock (GPS device knows where the sats are). With everything moving, the triangulation takes longer. The moral of this is that it's always best to wait until you have a satelite 'lock' before venturing forth onto the road. This should only take a few tens of seconds with modern sat nav systems.
For the purists; Sorry for my over simplification.
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making that point, i understand what you said, and it makes sense now.

thank you

Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look on the Navman site, and it seems they are as bad as TomTom used to be at admitting the version number of the map they are trying to sell you.
Western Europe Map £99 - out of stock

Over twice as expensive as TomTom's map too!

Looks like you might have to give them a call to find out the latest version number.
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that info, i really am gutted.

also found out today that the estate near me still has the old street name and roads even though they been gone over a year.

i am in 2 minds if to take it back to the shop ?

thanks again

Tony
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just ordered the conectivity kit for my navman, that way i should be able to update the maps or am i wrong ?

tony
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F20 came quite a while ago(late 2006), i know the F10 is the more resent model and that has 2007 maps, you may well find yours has 2006 maps. I'd be tempted to take it back. By the time you add on the extra cost of the connection kit you could get something a bit better and upto date.
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info, i only paid £65 from toys r us, and i think your right about the 2006 maps, my mates just bought the garmin 320 and went went over the the play i mention and his dont show up the roads on the est thats been up a year of more now and he`s got the 2007 maps, but his one did take the right route unlike mine on one part Laughing Out Loud
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyhaz wrote:
...and went went over the the play i mention and his dont show up the roads on the est thats been up a year of more now and he`s got the 2007 maps, but his one did take the right route unlike mine on one part Laughing Out Loud

As a rule of thumb almost all satnav maps are concidered to be at least two years out of date as of publishing. Anything better than this is a bonus!

There is a section on the teleatlas website where you can inform them of mapping errors. This won't help you now, but what goes around...

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that info dom. its taken onboard.

will check the site out

Tony
tonyhaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my conectivity kit, ive installed it but i havent a clue wot to do now. its not very easy to use is it ? it dont seem to be doing anything really just opens a page up and thats it

tone
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyhaz wrote:
just got my conectivity kit, ive installed it but i havent a clue wot to do now. its not very easy to use is it ? it dont seem to be doing anything really just opens a page up and thats it

I'm not entirely sure of the f20 so forgive the lack of detail. Almost all the Navman products use a peice of software called Smart ST. With this software you can add and remove installed maps and install custom poi's (speed cams). Although I can't see details of this for the F20 in the F20 manual, it doesn't give any other details on how to use the connectivity kit. Sad

The F20 should install and load up Microsoft ActiveSync. Then if you have it, install and run Smart ST.

It might be a good idea to contact Navman support to confirm what I'm saying as you might also be able to blag a copy of Smart ST if you need it. Twisted Evil

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the F20 respond to the PC connection by showing a screen that says USB Connecton on the device - it should do, if not please make sure you have the USB lead connected to a PC USB port directly rather than a Hub such as a monitor connection etc. - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: