Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should give the details of the previous route to which I referred in my most recent post, above. They are as follows:

ROUTING TYPE: Shortest
START POINT: Station Lane, Scraptoft, Leicester (52deg 38’ 31.5” N; 1deg 2’ 42.1” W)
END POINT: Mill Road, Rearsby, Leicestershire (52deg 43’ 26.7” N; 1deg 2’ 23.0” W)
CP 5 MILEAGE WITHOUT WAYPOINTS: 10.3 miles

Arrow 1st waypoint: on Queniborough Road, South East of Syston/ North East of Thurmaston (52deg 41’ 13.6”; 1deg 3’ 30.4” W). CP 5 mileage: 8 miles, still through built-up areas.

Arrow 2nd waypoint: on unnamed road, immediately North of Hamilton (52deg 39’ 39.3”; 1deg 2’ 54.7” W). CP 5 mileage 12.6 miles. Route includes about turn.

Arrow 3rd waypoint: on Hamilton Lane, North of Scraptoft (52deg 39’ 3.1”; 1deg 2’ 54.0” W). CP 5 mileage 7.8 miles. Route even more strange.

Arrow 4th waypoint: on Hamilton Lane further towards Scraptoft (52deg 38’ 49”; 1deg 2’ 54.5” W). CP 5 mileage 18.4 miles. Even more ridiculous route.

Arrow 5th waypoint: on Scraptoft Rise, Scraptoft (52deg 38’ 40.1”; 1deg 2’ 49.3” W). CP 5 mileage 16.4 miles. Abandonment of any further attempt to produce route.

Notes:

1. Previous waypoints were not removed; i.e. a total of 5 waypoints existed by the time waypoint 5 was inserted.

2. Results on PC and PPC versions were identical.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that I spoke too soon. Further experimentation shows that whether Optimize Stops acts as a workaround depends on where the waypoints are on the route. It does not work with Waypoint 1 only on my example route. Onthe other hand, a single waypoint at Waypoint 2 on my example route will work without Optimize Stops.

Thus, it's a case of back to square 1. CP 5 will occasionally produce a reasonable route if you are lucky, or are able to sit and fiddle around for as long as it takes to find Waypoints that work.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I thought I should give the details of the previous route to which I referred in my most recent post, above. They are as follows:

ROUTING TYPE: Shortest
START POINT: Station Lane, Scraptoft, Leicester (52deg 38’ 31.5” N; 1deg 2’ 42.1” W)
END POINT: Mill Road, Rearsby, Leicestershire (52deg 43’ 26.7” N; 1deg 2’ 23.0” W)
CP 5 MILEAGE WITHOUT WAYPOINTS: 10.3 miles

Hey! That's a wacky one. I haven't tried it on CoPilot yet, but Garmin's Mapsource on my PC gives this:

Fastest 10.4 Miles 19:46 (Goes via A607)
Shortest 6.6 Miles 12:36 (Goes via Barkby)

Adding the first via point makes the fastest route go the same way as the shortest.

Very strange. :x
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy, but I'd be grateful if you, and others, could try it on CP 5 and feed back the results. Perhaps you could also try some other rural routes to confirm that this is not a one-off.

What I would like to do, for the sake of everyone concerned, is to try to curtail the recurring argument that because someone has found the occasional route that seems OK, then it can be taken as disproving the existence of any problem with CP 5's routing.

As Darren rightly suggests, all that seems to have been achieved so far is confusion as to the nature of the problems with CP 5. On the other hand, Darren incorrectly suggests, that the existence of these problems is a matter of opinion, and it seems this is the basis on which he defends the retention of the original review in it original form. These faults are matters OF FACT (unlike the question of whether we should just put up with them), and until that is established, this argument is likely to be interminable.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to increase the volume of postings, but I incorrectly asked Skippy and others to try out some rural routes. I don't know why, as the problem is not exclusively rural.

For example, I could not get CP 5 to take me away from the ring roads around Middlesbrough the other day. However many waypoints I inserted, it took me all the way round the ring round from the South to the North of the town then all the way back South through the centre to reach an address that was only a street or two away from the Southernmost junction on the ringroad.

I apologise for this, but I suppose I am striving too hard to try to make concessions to those who defend CP 5.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the Scraptoft to Rearsby routing on my TomTom3 and it routes via Barkby in 6.7 miles.

Happily, having got a refund on my CP5 after using it for 4 months (utter garbage) I can sit back with a smug grin and enjoy proceedings on the CoPilot forum. Laughing

Oh what fun

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
Happily, having got a refund on my CP5 after using it for 4 months (utter garbage) I can sit back with a smug grin and enjoy proceedings on the CoPilot forum. Laughing

Thanks, Bazzer - you have cheered me up no end. Confused :x Crying or Very sad
rich_gt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the Rearsby to Scraptoft route on my CP5 & like most others got the distance as 9.9 miles for both shortest & fastest.

I then added 1 waypoint on an un-named road north of Scraptoft & the new route shows 6.6 miles going via Barkby.

I think the key to making waypoints work is the correct placement
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_gt wrote:
I have tried the Rearsby to Scraptoft route on my CP5 & like most others got the distance as 9.9 miles for both shortest & fastest.

I then added 1 waypoint on an un-named road north of Scraptoft & the new route shows 6.6 miles going via Barkby.

I think the key to making waypoints work is the correct placement

But the point is that you should not have to enter any waypoint to enable CP to find the "shortest route", especially if you are on the way and don't have time to study the map yourself to find it.

I get the same results for Rearsby-Scraptoft. Both quickest and shortest come up with a capital "C" for the route, where any fool without a GPS knows that the capital "I" through Barkby is the correct shortest route. CP in the Help file claims to choose the shortest "reasonable" route, but the result is unreasonable to many of us.

I still have V4.0 installed on a laptop, and I find that CP used to be much better at finding the small direct roads that form the shortest route.

But I am still a mostly-satisfied user of CoPilot since it continues to be excellent if you travel the Interstate Highways (motorways), and if you have gotten yourself lost on the smaller routes.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
rich_gt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you BMWBiker. CP should be able to work the shortest route out without having to rely on waypoints. I was just pointing out that some people were having to use upto 5 waypoints when I managed to get the route with 1.

I too have had very few problems when using CP on routes I don't know & would trust it rather than trying to rely on my poor sense of direction & map reading skills. It has always managed to get me to where ever i'm going and corrected me when i've missed a turning. I know its not perfect, before I get flamed but, it beats sitting in a layby trying to find where you are when your completly lost. And yes this is my first attempt at using GPS so I can't compare it to other GPS software such as tomtom etc.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_gt wrote:
And yes this is my first attempt at using GPS so I can't compare it to other GPS software such as tomtom etc.

Sure, if you are used to reading maps then CoPilot appears to work quite well and yes it does get you there (albeit via the long route sometimes). But then again, if you are used to using DOS then Windows 3.1 looks quite good too. Wink

Likewise, compared to other GPS units out there (which can calculate routes correctly and don't crash frequently) CoPilot performs quite poorly.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_gt wrote:
And yes this is my first attempt at using GPS so I can't compare it to other GPS software such as tomtom etc.

Sure, if you are used to reading maps then CoPilot appears to work quite well and yes it does get you there (albeit via the long route sometimes). But then again, if you are used to using DOS then Windows 3.1 looks quite good too. Wink

Likewise, compared to other GPS units out there (which can calculate routes correctly and don't crash frequently) CoPilot performs quite poorly.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_gt wrote:

BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_gt wrote:
...some people were having to use upto 5 waypoints when I managed to get the route with 1.

Again, entering any waypoint is not a desireable option for those of us who want the GPS to find the shortest route while driving or especially riding.

CoPilot prior to version 5 was excellent in finding the quickest or shortest route, and in having very accurate ETA. I have high hopes they will regain that at least in V6 if not in a patch for V5. I like the other features very much, though some of them were also broken in V5 such as navigating to an Outlook contact.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
rich_gt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to comment any further on my thoughts about CP5 as whatever I say someone will disagree Sad

Has anyone tried the latest patch on the USA site 5.0.1.61 i think it is & has this made any change on CP's ability ( or inability) to determine the true shortest route?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: