Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go or Pocketpc?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go or Pocketpc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiplex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go or Pocketpc? Reply with quote

Well I bought my TomTom Go a few months ago and really love it...but since I don't really go anywhere that often I've been wondering whether I should sell it on Ebay and buy a pocket pc + tomtom software instead??

Is there any advantage to having a TomTom Go because I really like the idea of having a pocketpc as well now!

If I did get a pocketpc...does anyone know which pocketpc is best suited to Tomtom software?

Simon.
redd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi iv a iqpac pocket pc 1700 gps and i love iv even attached to my moterbike and will not go anywhere with out, but trouble is the soft is good but i am after route 66 to go with it........ good luck with urs

ps dixins has them for £229.99
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would urge you to veer away from the iPAQ rz1710 if you can afford something more capable, simply because you want to use the Pocket PC for other things and the rz1710 is rather limited.

If you like the software that is on your Go, that's available in Europe only as part of the HP Navigation Pack. Within the next couple of months, I expect a further development of that software will replace TomTom Navigator 3.

So, if you want the HP Navigation Pack, consider the iPAQ hx2110 version of that bundle - which is very new. That gives you a Bluetooth GPS, and a 64MB RAM Bluetooth Pocket PC (the rz1710 has a rather small 32MB of RAM and no Bluetooth). Details on this bundle are here.

With a Bluetooth PDA and a Bluetooth mobile phone, it makes using GPRS on the move easy. Not only does that open up the possibility of TomTom Traffic (though that will require a future version of Navigator that supports Traffic, or buying Navigator 3 - there's no Traffic support in Navigator 2004 HP Edition), but you can have mobile email and mobile use of Pocket Internet Explorer.

As you can probably guess from my use of the expensive iPAQ hx4700, I use my Pocket PC heavily. I use it as:
  • a music player (including listening to web radio over Wi-Fi, also listening to MP3s)
  • an ebook reader (one application where the hx4700's VGA screen comes in useful)
  • my diary, address book and notepad (Pocket Outlook is fine, but I use Pocket Informant, which is much more feature rich - Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 provides repeating alarms, and PIToday to show me as soon as I switch on what's happening for the next few days)
  • as a way of carrying my financial information around with me (Spb Finance Money Edition - which links to Microsoft Money on my main PC)
  • as a mobile word processor and spreadsheet in my pocket (again, the built in Pocket Word and Pocket Excel applications are OK, but I have both TextMaker and PlanMaker, which are both stunning examples of what a Pocket PC can do - for fast text entry with a stylus I use Fitaly, also I have a folding keyboard)
  • for mobile email (again, the built in Inbox is fine, though I'm using WebIS Mail, which has a richer feature set)
  • for carrying around photos and for manipulating photos from my digital camera (using Resco Photo Editor and a CompactFlash card reader for my camera's card)
  • for satellite navigation - of course!

I can even print on the move using HP's free Pocket PC printing application and my Bluetooth battery powered DeskJet 450wbt.

There are applications for which I carry and use a laptop, but often my Pocket PC suffices. My disabilities mean that I struggle with heavy books and can hardly write, but the Pocket PC allows me to do so much with a tiny machine that remains clipped to my belt much of the time when I'm out and has a much longer battery life than my laptop.

David
Multiplex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply!! I'm going to do as you suggest and get an hx2110 with bluetooth gps. Seems better suited to my needs since I don't really use the Go enough on its own for me to justify having it.

I've just put the Tomtom Go on Ebay if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75327&item=5755553435&rd=1

Simon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: