Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - truvelo cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

truvelo cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: truvelo cameras Reply with quote

Hi

Are there plans to distinguish these from other cameras in the data base? I've submitted a few but they just show as normal gatso in the icon and description.

Thanks
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello rentech,

Why do we need to know what type of camera it is, there are many different types of fixed camera, and more are being added, as far as i'm concerned i just want a warning, at the end of the day they all 'DO' the same basic job, 'US'. Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People might want to know because Truvelos take a picture as you approach them, while Gatsos take your picture as you depart the scene. If you knew it was a Truvelo it might affect when you react to its presence.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a car driver, it makes little or no difference to me whether the fixed camera, is a Gatso, Truvelo, or something else.

However, if I were a biker then that might be different! ;)

Richard (Oldie) will make a note in the master database saying whether a camera is a Gatso or Truvelo, if the person who submits the details of the camera tells him.

I suppose that it is theoretically possible to have yet another database, but I don’t think that it would be practical – nor would there be much of a request for it. However I may be totally wrong on what people want!

If you want a camera spotting guide then visit the UK SpeedTrap Guide.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than 3500 entries in the pocketgps_uk_gatso file and only 26 of these have been identified as being Truvelo cameras. It would be nice to know how many Truvelos there are out there.

Anyway if you identify cameras as Truvelos when you send in updates then the position can be reassessed at any time.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I think that Richard does a fantastic job with all these cameras and checking them all out before entering them into the data base, surly at the end of the day we just need a warning, and to start more different databases is complicating the issue, we have just seen an example of this with the separate speed files, even people who have been using the safety camera files for some time have not understood that they need to remove there existing data and not over-write as normal if they want to use the speed files instead.

I know for some users that this information could be useful, but it just complicates it for most users who (to repeat myself) just need a warning.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Truvelo camera triggers at approximately 50yds, if you haven't reacted and reduced your vehicle's speed before you are within 50yds then you're asking for trouble! The default in TT v4 products is 273yds which should be sufficient warning for these.

Whilst it is useful to know what the particular camera type is we have to draw the line somewhere and so for now they remain in the same database as the all the other fixed cameras.
Gordon68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Just a name Reply with quote

Here's a simple solution (if you're a perfectionist)

Rename pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv to pocketgps_uk_fixed.csv
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time prior to the release of the speed zoned files I had set up the means of extracting them from our database. As it was clear that a few users were extracting speed sets for themselves we decided to include them in the ZIP file in the last release. It is clear from the influx of updates that now contain speed values that it was a popular decision. And of course Lutz worked wonders by enabling TomTom Go users to have a set of speed related warnings.

Personally I do not use the speed zoned files. I do however use the Gatso/Relight/Mobile/Specs/Temp files. Temp was introduced when users were asking for more frequent updates of camera sites associated with roadworks. In fact I get very few updates during the course of a month.

SPECS cameras are of course very different and it is useful to be made aware of "average speed" checks.
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked, was that I am new to sending in my updates and there is a specific code for truvelo gatsos. Thought those details maybe used in the updated releases. I'm not asking for and extra category. I appreciate the hard work done by all Wink .

At the moment I do not use the audible warning and prefer to just be aware of cameras from the icons on screen. The truvelos by me are on a left hand bend. If you are not aware of them, or think they are standard gatso, you come around the bend to be immediately faced with those lovely glass lenses staring straight at you 8O .

Thanks for the continued hard work.....hopefully my next update should be on the way to Oldie soon :D
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I for one had started breaking down the Pocketgps_uk_gatso and mobile files into speed related ov2 and bmp with the December 2004 release and emailed them to Richard. I was very pleased to see that Richard released them in that format with his latest release.
I had thought about doing the same for the Redlight cameras as well until I started to take a close look at my XDA 2 and the amount of files and there size that were being used.
As Dave & Darren know the XDA 2 has a considerable amount of program and Storage memory available, but this is not always the case for other makes of PDA's

With the Gatso and Mobile speed related files, Gatso and Mobile TBA, Temp, Specs and Redlight files as well as a Favourites and Work file.
I have 38 .ov2 and 38 .bmp files. 51 sound files in .wav format.
As more cameras become active the various .ov2 files are going to increase in size.

Using Sprite backup every day to backup the whole of the XDA 2 and it's storage card to the PC the size of the backup file is 153Mb.

Whilst what I'm running works perfectly for me, no lockups or freezes, all the cameras being announced correctly, this may not be the case for others with other makes of PDA's. Some are having problems just running the original database without the speed related files.
Some of the software can't handle that many POI files. CP5 can only manage a Speed camera + 5 Custom POI's.
I think the way the Pocketgps Speed camera database is at the moment is sufficient for those that just want to be alerted to a Gasto, Mobile etc. and advanced enough for those that want the to know the speed limit for Gatso and Mobile.

Just to add for Dave and Darren with all this running I still have:-
Program Memory Free Taunt
48.63Mb
Storage Memory Free Laughing
39.71Mb
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: