Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing speed cameras on M25
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing speed cameras on M25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Missing speed cameras on M25 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tried out the speed camera db on my ICN 630 V3 s/w. On the M25, some listed speed cameras on the db weren't physically there and others that were there didn't appear on the db. How do I let you know of the location etc as I don't know how to record camera info?
Home 2.7.3.1894
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edwin,

Please send any camera updated to

Cameras [at] PocketGPSWorld [dot] com

Here is the format to send them in:

Please remember to include the type of camera and the speed limit of the road when sending in an update. Text entries in the following format will help me.

Longitude,Latitude,Name:m@nn,"Information #AA" where

Longitude and Latitude in decimal degrees if possible (but any format will be accepted)
Name is your surname
m is a unique id (1,2,3,...) or existing camera ID,
nn is the speed zone (30,40,...)
Information is explanatory text
#AA denotes camera type (#G Gatso, #GT Truvelo, #R Red light, #M Mobile, #S S.P.E.C.S, #T Temporary/Roadworks)

For example
-0.12345,51.23456,Davies:1@40,"A325 Farnborough Road. Northbound #G"
GATSO:1234,"Does not exist"
GATSO:3456,"Redlight camera. On A325 #R"

HTH.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,

Is there any way I can record POI on my icn 630 V3, rather than having to write the information down manually?
Home 2.7.3.1894
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sseems a bit fiddly, but saving your position as a favourite is described on p23 of the Manual which came with your V3.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think so wouldn't you, but the V3 software I got from Navman came with a install guide just 3 pages in English!
Home 2.7.3.1894
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manual should be in your Navman Desktop directory, in the docs subdirectory, as a .pdf file.
Gordon68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: M25 Reply with quote

Having recently driven the west part of the M25 (the part with all the speed cameras) I have noticed that :-

The location of the mobile speed cameras change often.

The PocketGPSWorld database is listing gantry cameras where there are only lines on the road. The current M25 camera list needs an update and this would be easier if there was a separate M25 database.

So my suggestion is a separate M25 camera database that can be updated independantly of the main database.

There could be other separate databases for other regions where cameras change frequently.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the complexity of the database as it stands I doubt the practicality of producing a seperate M25 centric update. The same problems you highlight could apply to any major toad or motorway especially those with long term road works.

If you have corrections for the database records then as always, cameras @ pocketgpsworld.com is the address to send them to, use the existing GATSO ID if your information refers to a non-existant ot incorrectly sited camera in our current database Smile
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday I recorded the positions of the yellow Gatso camers on the stretch of M25 between the M3 and M1 junctions. There are now only 3 on each side and these are located in the roadworks section near the M3. I will put the latest reported positions in the pocketgps_uk_temp file in the next release.

The majority of the warnings on that section of road are associated with the gantries that straddle the road. I would like to know if there are speed checking cameras mounted on these gantries. After most of the gantries the road is marked with short white lines at right angles to the lane markers, but these do not look at all like the usual Gatso road markings.

Richard
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to sort out the gantries on the western part of the M25. Mainly because of the speed you pass them. The original gantries are solid things and the cameras are most easily seen from the back on the opposite side of the road.

I used to travel the road each way every day and the rule of thumb was that the cameras were on the gantries that spanned both carriageways and not on the ones that only went to the central reservation. Unfortunately things are changing down there and so I can't say for sure, anymore.

But there are lines on the road at every gantry - most serve no purpose.

If the cameras are installed they seem to be set at nearly 10 mph above the indicated (variable) speed and they do not seem to operate when the speed signs are switched off and the limit reverts to the national 70 mph.
Gordon68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
The majority of the warnings on that section of road are associated with the gantries that straddle the road. I would like to know if there are speed checking cameras mounted on these gantries.
Richard

I'm no authority, but it looks like the gantries with cameras have a grey flat rectangular box with a few holes sitting above each lane. They photograph the rear of the car. They are best seen from the other direction. Not every gantry has a camera, although it looks like most gantries have white distance timing lines on the road.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we certainly need to be warned that the gantry cameras exist. Like Darren I do not favour a separate file but I will mark them in the database so that I could separate them in the future.

I understand that a lot of cameras may be appearing on the M42. Perhaps they will be of a similar type.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live close to the M3/M4 stretch of the M25 and trying to keep an up-to-date record of where each camera is on that stretch at the moment is well nigh impossible. Things should improve on the J11-J13 section soon as the roadworks here are nearly complete but the J13-J15 bit will be bad for another year. I am sure that once all the work is complete and they return to the variable speed limit regime then most (if not all) of the gantries will have cameras mounted above each lane with the trigger speed set by the indicated speed as is the case from J15-J16 and the yellow boxes by the road will go
Gordon68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Like Darren I do not favour a separate file but I will mark them in the database so that I could separate them in the future.

There are a lot of cameras to manage in one big file. Would another column that shows the road name be useful? I'm not sure if town or county is useful, but they could be added as well.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that I read (but can't remember where) that the variable speed limit cameras are only active when the limit is below 70 MPH.

I thought that they were all switched off for the duration of the current roadworks, but that may be wishful thinking.

I think that the variable limit cameras should go into their own speed-rated file, as otherwise we won't be able to display the correct icon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: