Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - THE END for conventional 'Speed Camera Detectors' ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

THE END for conventional 'Speed Camera Detectors' ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: THE END for conventional 'Speed Camera Detectors' ??? Reply with quote

Hello,

Firstly, just like to say how great the 'Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database' is !! Thankyou to all involved, and keep up the great work !!! :D

As per title, now that GPS Speed Camera systems/databases are becoming a popular choice, as with the 'Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database, does this now make the original "speed camera detectors" obsolete (the units that you fix to your windscreen/dashboard that actively detect radar)??

To strenghen this theory, with the introduction of digital speed camera technology, ie: Specs and TruVelo cameras, the detector units will not detect these anyway, as there is no 'radar' to detect :| , so it appears we have reached the point where GPS systems are the only way forward? 8)
....Or will there always be an advantage to owning/using a conventional detector? Question
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Just to progress this, :P as confirmed, I am already using the 'Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database', on my Dell Axim PDA, but have recently been interested in also purchasing a 'Speed camera detector unit'.

Considering the units can never provide 100% coverage of all camera systems (as detailed above), is it worth splashing out a few hundred pounds, when the GPS system on the PDA is doing the same job? Question

Thoughts and advice welcomed :D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DanielJ,

I have had a number of radar detectors throughout the years. My current one is a Bel Euro 550. It’s interesting to know which radar controlled cameras are active but is definitely not the best line of defence anymore.

I wouldn’t actually buy a radar detector now, for two reasons. The authorities are making much more use of mobile cameras that use laser, and secondly there are talks about banning radar detectors.

Your best bet is to use our camera database (fixed, mobile, specs, temp, and red traffic light). Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 'Snooper'.
I would not recommend this type of detector in the future. It does not 'see' the mobile police units. However, if you live in a City or travel to new City areas, then it does tell you which GATSO or REDLight camera is active!
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Thanks for the feedback. Thumbs Up

I dont think that anything can replace my Dell Axim, with CheckPOInt, and the Pocket GPS World Safety Camera Database... it's working spot on! :D 8)
(after all, the expensive GPS Camera devices do exactly the same job - ie 'Road Angel 2').

Was looking around at the speed camera detectors, more as an additional device than a replacement. Wink
The Two that I narrowed it down to, are the 'Snooper S3 Neo' or the 'Original Road Angel with Laser attachment'.

Which version Snooper do you have Strumble? Rate it?
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

secondly there are talks about banning radar detectors.

Interesting! Definately something to keep an eye on!? Police
Was thinking I could print off that law, thats on the internet somewhere, and keep it in my car incase I get targeted by the police for using one... Rolling Eyes Smile

"Law: 3943252352:1981: It is not against the law to use or make use of a speed camera detector for safety purposes, providing it does not restrict your view through your windshield/screen..... blah, blah"!
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

you might also find the information at the following site very useful, a sort of "everything you ever wanted to know about speed cameras" etc

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Home/Menu1.htm

Best Wishes

Steve
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielJ wrote:
Which version Snooper do you have Strumble? Rate it?

Snooper SD 8151S
If you live in a City or travel to new City areas, then it does tell you which GATSO or REDLight camera is active! It has never picked up a mobile unit!! It will drive you crackers at cameras at RedLights and the Security Alarms on premises set it off!

I'd love to sell it!!! Who would want it???

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: