Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trafffic Warning / Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trafffic Warning / Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Trafffic Warning / Update Reply with quote

Following the problems with the Traffic service at the weekend, I have had an update from TomTom which confirms a number of important points. In summary the Traffic service was unavailable from Sunday until Monday. TomTom responses c

1. There is no monitroing or alerting installed on the TomTom traffic infrsatructure. This is confirmed by the fact that their service was unavailable for two days.
2. There are no staff on call out, for this service.
3. TomTom do not respond to critical support calls. It took four days for them to answer my call.
4. TomTom have refused to extend my subscription by two days, becase the problem was not with their servers, but the TMC data provider.

One important thing to remember is that we are not purchasing a product, but a service, and clearly at times this will fail or become unavailable. However TomTom do not feel they are responsible for this, but as usual are very happy to accept our money.

I'm asking them for details regarding the SLA (Service Level Agreement) for the Traffic service, which should give details regarding acceptable downtime and response time. I work for a retailer and even 2 hours downtime would not be acceptable, so why should TomTom think two days is OK?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck - though remember that relatively cheap services aimed at the end user often don't have formal SLAs.

To give an example, there's no formal SLA for ADSL provided over the BT Wholesale network - unlike for more expensive leased line connections. If I lose my ADSL on a Friday night, it's BT Wholesale's fault and they don't notice and fix it, the earliest my ISP can report the fault to BT is 8am Monday morning. I'm paying 35 pounds per month for this, too.

Details of the contractural relationship between TomTom and the data provider (iTIS for Traffic UK, unless I'm mistaken) is almost certainly commercially confidential.

David
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have stated on another thread, my traffic subscription is currently useless and not working at all. I have it saying it is expired when it is not. This has been the case now since 3/12/4.

Do I want some money and apologies back????

I should think so. :x

A service that is unavailable for a month of the whole subscription is getting ridiculous. I will be threatening them soon with cancelling my subscription accompanied with an email for a full refund.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two different issues here.

The first was an approximately two day outage that affected everyone in the UK - maybe other countries as well. I was merely pointing out that I doubt there's a Service Level Agreement that stretches right down to end-user level.

I can understand the argument that TomTom should extend the subscriptions of those that complain, but we're only talking about two days. (In a similar light, I subscribed slightly before the end of my trial period back in the summer, and my expiry date was 12 months from the date I subscribed, not 12 months from the end of my trial - though the difference was only a few days).

Your situation is quite different, Paul - it's rather sad that TomTom can't sort out your issue and get you going. I would pursue them for a full refund on the basis that you can't use the service you're paying for - offering them the alternative of getting you working and extending your subscription for a month if that's what you'd prefer.

David
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to TomTom, its taken them a very long time but I've just had an update to say they haven't been able to identify the fault but have extended my subscription by one month...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: