Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go Maps Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go Maps Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
Maybe it's time to review the criteria for the appointment of moderators for these forums?

It does seem a little odd that someone can get to moderate a group about a specific device like TTG without actually having access to one!

Here here,

And ALSO to Lock a thread up in the TomTom GO forum,

Owing to the Moderator not actually owning a TT Go, and "Flying Blind", can i request the "Fugawi" thread which was locked by the said moderator be un-locked.

Also request that moderators stick to their own forums to which they own, and use, and know the hardware "inside out".
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, can we please stop this now...

The forum moderators ALL do a good job and to say that someone has to own (and be an expert on) a product to be able to pass comment on it is ridiculous and unnecessary.

I personally do not own and have never owned any forum of GPS equipment in my life. I do not even have a PDA - only a desktop computer and AutoRoute. That is the closest I come to owning any map software.

Does this mean then that the many POI files I create and submit to this website free of charge for your use are any less adequate than someone who owns a GPS system? If you think that then I would please ask you not to use them!

We moderators work on this forum for free and in our own time. We do not get given free 'company equipment' or even reduced cost equipment for being a moderator. (Although if any companies are reading this, want to consider it? Wink ) I don't know anyone who has the whole range of products available, but does this mean then that only people who have TT Go may comment on it? Certainly not.

Us moderators are all picked for our general knowledge of all things GPS. Yes, we do consider ourselves to be knowledgeable on this subject. We read information from other sources and we talk to each other about the different products we have. Therefore it is very narrow minded to say that one of us knows little or nothing about a product just because we don't have it.

I have helped many users with TTNav 3 despite never physically owning the product. Many users of this forum have PM'd me saying how grateful they are for my user-friendly and helpful advice, which I am only too happy to give to anyone who needs it. If someone is unsure about something but wants to have a go at helping another forum member, they usually say in their post: "Look, I don't have this specific product but I think this is the answer..." Anyone who knows differently can also jump in. That is what a forum is - a place where everyone can learn - moderators included.

Moderators are not just here to answer technical questions, we are also here to make the forums a friendly and helpful environment and to stop unnecessary back-biting and unhelpful comments.

At the end of the day, if you disagree with or don't like our moderating methods, no one is forcing you to use this forum. However I do feel that you would be in the minority.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment, but to come out with,
DavidW wrote:
I don't know how easy it is to make use of the Go's touchscreen or GPS hardware.

and
DavidW wrote:
I do not believe TomTom Support are an authority on developer level technical details of TomTom Go. I cannot prove this, but it's very unlikely.

Says to me he doesn't know the TT Go properly,

and if we have a problem with the Go, TomTom know sod all about it either.

Bo Peep wrote:
The forum moderators ALL do a good job and to say that someone has to own (and be an expert on) a product to be able to pass comment on it is ridiculous and unnecessary.

He wasn't just passing comment though. He was saying the Go Wasn't capable, when TomTom ARE saying it is, so does he know more about the GO than TomTom.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Also request that moderators stick to their own forums to which they own, and use, and know the hardware "inside out".

No, and that will never happen!

I (We) hand picked some of the best and knowledgable people from the forums which are extremely knowledgable in GPS whether they own or don't own a particular unit and who were keen to give something back to everyone and to help take PocketGPSWorld.com forward in keeping it a great, friendly and knowledgable place to hang out.

I have given Moderators full reign over ALL Forums, and that will continue. Each moderator has skills in various areas, there is nobody that has every single piece of hardware out there, not even myself, Mike, or Darren come close to any of this, but it won't stop us commenting or helping people with other equipment. We also do share our experiences with each other and the moderators so at the end of the day we make sure that everyone has as much knowledge as possible to provide support.

I also place my full support in not only the entire team but especially the moderators who do a FANTASTIC job here and spend many UNPAID hours in their evenings, weekends and lunch hours just to help people out. They stick their neck out on the line for EVERYONE here, and I for one am grateful for all the help they put into the website and helping users, especially over the holiday period and especially on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day when they should be spending quality time with their families.

Last edited by Dave on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
lulu33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: moderators..we need them Reply with quote

How can anyone really criticise the input that moderators give to these forums.These guys do it for free and that should be appreciated without question.OK they might get some things wrong but I certainly would prefere to get help easily and quickly than to have to contact faceless companies who end up steering people to the FAQ page and finding nothing there that remotely helps with there problem.I know I've done it.I have posted questions up on the forum and moderators are the people that have got me sorted in no time.Agreed I am a newbe so my problems may be minor but I am commenting on my personal experience with moderators. :D
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Maybe it's time to review the criteria for the appointment of moderators for these forums?

It does seem a little odd that someone can get to moderate a group about a specific device like TTG without actually having access to one!

In the light of subsequent posts from Bo Peep and Dave Burows, I'm more than happy to withdraw these remarks.

All I would ask is that - in the light of the status afforded to moderators, whereby many people would assume their statements to be definitive - when moderators offer opinions which are not backed up by personal experience, that should make this clear.

Perhaps also, in the light of recent events, it may be a good idea if moderators didn't lock threads in which they had personally become embroiled, but should request a different 'neutral' moderator to do it.

I am offering these suggestions not as a criticism - but with a view to maintaining the highest standards in these excellent forums, and avoiding the type of pointless arguments which have recently taken place.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put rkh_rm

Can i also add that moderators don't give the idea they know more than the support teams of any gps equipment,wether it be technical,software development,or marketing.

I wrote to TomTom in good faith wanting information,and posted the reply on here,for others to benefit. Knowing that the Go unit "could be capable"of running other types of software "If it became available",either from them or anybody else.

Dave wrote:

especially the moderators who do a FANTASTIC job here and spend many UNPAID hours in their evenings, weekends and lunch hours just to help people out. They stick their neck out on the line for EVERYONE here, and I for one am grateful for all the help they put into the website and helping users, especially over the holiday period and especially on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day when they should be spending quality time with their families.

I'm not disputing this.

I, as well as six others are moderators on various forums, we do it because we where asked,. We also are unpaid, we do it because we want to, We moderated the forums over the Christmas and new year holidays with our families around us.

As for locking,or deleting forums,We only do this if the posters get abusive to others.

We ALL have knowledge but nobody stops learning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: