Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 Toll avoidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 Toll avoidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: M6 Toll avoidance Reply with quote

Has anyone got any ideas on this little problem.

When planning a route from south Birmingham to North Birmingham... The TTG takes the route via the M6, then the M42 and then the M6 TOLL for ONE junction!

I agree with the TTG that this is the best route... except for the one junction of the M6 Toll.

However, when I tell the TTG not to use the M6 Toll... I expected it to re-route me down the A road that runs parrallel to the M6 Toll. However, bizarely it completely changes virtually the whole route and avoids using all of the motorways!!!
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say... Is there anyway around this daft problem?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the first leg of the M6 Toll was free, if you are coming from the south.
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... errrm - Yes and No

The first bit of the M6 Toll is technically free when comming from the south... but really this "free stretch" of the M6 Toll is just part of the old M42 that has been made wider. So it is a bit of a con really!

Anyway, when I said the TTG takes me up one junction of the M6 Toll, I was refering to the one junction of the paying bit! (very daft indeed)
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll avoidance Reply with quote

mickmills wrote:

I agree with the TTG that this is the best route... except for the one junction of the M6 Toll.

!!!

So why is it a daft problem??

You said yourself, You AGREE with the TTG, that it gave you the BEST ROUTE.

You don't HAVE to go via the toll section, just stay on M6, but that defeats the object of having a " Navigational AID "
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll avoidance Reply with quote

mickmills wrote:

When planning a route from south Birmingham to North Birmingham... The TTG takes the route via the M6, then the M42 and then the M6 TOLL for ONE junction!

However, when I tell the TTG not to use the M6 Toll... I expected it to re-route me down the A road that runs parrallel to the M6 Toll. However, bizarely it completely changes virtually the whole route and avoids using all of the motorways!!!

Try this. Create a POI somewhere on the section of A road you want to go along. Tell TTG to find an alternative - and tell it to go via your POI.

Roger
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll avoidance Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
mickmills wrote:

!!!

So why is it a daft problem??

You said yourself, You AGREE with the TTG, that it gave you the BEST ROUTE.

You don't HAVE to go via the toll section, just stay on M6, but that defeats the object of having a " Navigational AID "

Its a daft problem because the M6 Toll has fixed prices, no mater if you travel 27 miles (or 1 mile). That 1 mile on the M6 Toll (suggested by the ttg) would cost me £2 each time I use it ( £4 return trip). The A road that runs along side it is a 60 mph road... and is a very slight diversion (basically runs parallel to the M6 Toll)

I also don't understand why it completely ignores abou 15 miles of motorways (M6 and M42) when I ask it to avoid that small bit of M6 toll (which is about 5% of the journeys motorway useage!)
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll avoidance Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
mickmills wrote:

Try this. Create a POI somewhere on the section of A road you want to go along. Tell TTG to find an alternative - and tell it to go via your POI.

Roger

You clever sod!

The Belfry Golf course is on the A road I wanna use... this is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

I shall try it tonight, and let you know how I get on!
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Avoiding M6Toll Reply with quote

Quote:
The Belfry Golf course is on the A road I wanna use... this is a brilliant idea. Thanks!

Mick, sorry I'm late responding to your query, but I did exactly as Roger suggested, but still found that TT-GO seemed to send you a 'stupid' way.

I often tow my caravan from from N. London to my mother's Nr. Rugely. I've done this route for years, and so I've worked out how to avoid the Toll section, when going via Lichfield, to Rugely.
As you say, it involves going along the A446, past the Belfry and Canwell, but trying to get TT-GO to work out this sensible alternative was hopeless.

When going N. on the M42/M6 get off into the left-hand, dedicated, lane to take the A446 to Lichfield. {If 'Tim' is on, I ignore the instruction to 'keep right'}. By the time I've exited the big traffic island at the top of the exit road to go on the A446, 'Tim' has re-calculated the route all the way to Rugely OK! Why he can't do it to start with, I don't know.
You can see the M6 Toll road for most of the way from the A446 as it gets to the junction with the A5. No way am I going on it and paying extra for the caravan!!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding M6Toll Reply with quote

DocL wrote:

When going N. on the M42/M6 get off into the left-hand, dedicated, lane to take the A446 to Lichfield. {If 'Tim' is on, I ignore the instruction to 'keep right'}. By the time I've exited the big traffic island at the top of the exit road to go on the A446, 'Tim' has re-calculated the route all the way to Rugely OK! Why he can't do it to start with, I don't know.
You can see the M6 Toll road for most of the way from the A446 as it gets to the junction with the A5. No way am I going on it and paying extra for the caravan!!

So what happens if you create a POI or favourite on the bit of the A446 you want to go along, and tell TTG to navigate via your POI?

This method has always worked for me - as long I don't need to specify more than one 'via' - 'cos it can't cope with that! For example, the 'obvious' way from Warwick to Warminster is straight down the A429 & A350 but, left to it's own devices, TTG tries to send me either down the M5 or down the M40 - both of which are miles further. It will eventually find my preferred route if I keep asking it for alternatives, but a much quicker way is to tell it to go via Gatso:371 - and it finds it straight away!
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding M6Toll Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
. . . . .
So what happens if you create a POI or favourite on the bit of the A446 you want to go along, and tell TTG to navigate via your POI?

This method has always worked for me - as long I don't need to specify more than one 'via' - 'cos it can't cope with that! . . . . .

The 'one via' will get you off the Toll Road for a bit, say one jcn-jcn section, but then TT routes you back on it again a bit further up!! I guess this is because the Toll Road runs nearly parallel to A roads for quite a bit of the way and TT 'thinks' you'll need to continue on the speediest route, after the one via.

This 'one via' limitation can be another 'blooming nuisance' with TT.
mickmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I must say that setting an POI did solve my unique problem. However, I am only avoiding one junction of the M6 Toll until I reach my destination. I can imagine that trying to avoid a long streatch of the M6 toll would be a pain in the bum using the TTG.

Hopefully a future TTG update will have the option of avoiding Toll roads?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding M6Toll Reply with quote

DocL wrote:
The 'one via' will get you off the Toll Road for a bit, say one jcn-jcn section, but then TT routes you back on it again a bit further up!!

Ah, I see!

'Fraid I can't think of a way of fooling it then, until such time as they let us use more than one 'via' in a route - or give us some routing preferences, like Autoroute.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: