Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Baffled by map exclusions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffled by map exclusions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Up_North
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Baffled by map exclusions Reply with quote

I've had a number of factory fitted SatNav systems before so was expecting some compromises when I got a TTG for Christmas (how can a 128mb SD card compete with a CD or even DVD ROM?). But so far I've been genuinely impressed with it. On previous systmes I used to hate the Heads Up view, much preferring the North Up view. But combined with the 3D view of TTG it's very effective. And because the unit can be places closer to the "eye line" I think it may well be a bit safer.

I think the first thing most people do when they get a Sat Nav system is check out their own locality! And for me, this is where the compromises start to show a little bit. There is a huge estate being built in phases to the north of Hartlepool - at the moment it has about 1200 homes and is growing. Most of the completed roads on this estate are actually on the TTG map (many were completed over 4 years ago) , but all except one are listed as "Unnamed Road" and I can't see any logic to wy that one is named and not the others. It wasn't the first road, or most recent, isn't a main road in the estate, isn't in the centre. There is another estate close by which was complete over 8 years ago - again the roads are on the map but not a single one of them has a name.

So I'm just wondering what logic TT/Tele Atlas apply in deciding what gets named?

Also, given that the SD card which comes with the TTG has less than 1mb of free space on it, how will TT be able to present better maps in the future without forcing everyone to a bigger card?

Great forum by the way - postcodes POI are excellent.

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply a question of Surveying. The TeleAtlas geo surveying team may have had a bad day or was in a hurry or what not, so some streets have names, some don't . Especially in new developments TeleAtlas (and NavTEQ) are hesitant to officially accept the street details until they get confirmation that the road is public. ("Unnamed" mostly means private road, not fit for drive-through). THere are a number of cases in Germany when whole city districts are inaccessible simply because a few crucial access roads are officially marked as "For inhabitants only, no through traffic" - making it impossible to navigate into that district, or finding a route out of it.

Keep sending your map updates to TeleAtlas, and over time the situation will improve.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent several mapping errors to TeleAtlas and whilst I will continue to do so, what is most annoying is the length of time it takes for them to acknowledge receipt.

My oldest submissions have been at the 'Under analysis' stage since they were submitted almost three months ago!

Given the fact that TA are getting all this info for free the least I would expect is for something to be done with it.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's frustrating, isn't it?

They will have to acknowledge the issue, re-survey it (they don't trust us and verify each report separately), and then QA check it in a new map compilation, then need to sell this compilation to TomTom, and then you'll need to shell out for the upgrade. This can easily take in excess of two years.

But it's like voting - if you haven't voted you have no right to complain.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole area is very confusing. Do TeleAtlas actually do their own surveys? Of the whole of Europe and USA??? I doubt that very much...they probably rely on local agencies (like the OS in UK) to supply them with data.

And, just because a road is built, doesn't mean it is on the maps. I used to live in Swindon on a new estate, and the road was built, post office delivered there, everyone knew where it was. But it was what they call 'unadopted', meaning the local council refused to take responsibility for it. Even though we had refuse collection, street lights etc etc, it still belonged to the developer of the site, and so didnt appear on any local maps for almost 5 years!!!!

In that kind of situaution, how can you expect a global company like TeleAtlas to have accurate info, if the local council don't?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff wrote:
I think the whole area is very confusing. Do TeleAtlas actually do their own surveys? Of the whole of Europe and USA??? I doubt that very much...they probably rely on local agencies (like the OS in UK) to supply them with data.

Nope. They may get the data from local agencies, but they don't trust it. Every single meter of road must be re-surveyed by the TeleAtlas crews. That's why it's taking so long, and mostly is a losing battle against time.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Up_North
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

What you're saying is fair enough - but these roads were complete and adopted over 4 years ago - and the bit I couldn't work out is why one particular road on the estate IS marked even though there is nothing special about it.

Maybe this year's map update will see an improvement (if they can fit it on the card!!!)

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: