Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some Questions on Capabilities of TomTom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Questions on Capabilities of TomTom Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikereeve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Some Questions on Capabilities of TomTom Go Reply with quote

I am in the situation that I have recently had my second speed ticket due to a speed camera. I have been looking at buying Road Angel as a means of combating the situation. However , I have recently read about TomTom Go and the fact that it has the same functionality as the Road Angel , once the GPS World speed camera database is downloaded. Could someone tell me if this is a fair assumption. Will this database be as good as the database that can be downloaded as part of the Road Angel subscription?

In addition to the above I am looking to having a go at geocaching with my 11 year old daughter. This is where you go to a website and get the coordinates of a cache hidden by someone else. You are given the rough area in which the cache is hidden and put in the coordinates to a GPS instrument and start the search. A more up to date version of a treasure hunt. I know that the TomTom is a map based system, but can it perform this function.

Any comments on the above two questions would be appreciated
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the Road Angel question. With the number of travellers providing new data to PocketGPSWorld and the resultant frequent updates, I would have thought it difficult to find a better database though.

On the geocaching question, the TTGO is unsuitable. You need a normal basic handheld GPS receiver, like a Garmin etrex or Magellan, that will give you the ability to enter waypoint coordinates (can't do that on a TTGO). You then need a bearing and short range distance to waypoint indication. TTGO doesn't do that either. Mapping in geocaching is generally about footpaths, and the like. This is outside the content of commercial SatNav maps which will therefore not help you. Where the TTGO is very useful, is getting you to the cache area, which is often well off the beaten track. There is a very comprehensive POI UK Geocache database available.
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Some Questions on Capabilities of TomTom Go Reply with quote

mikereeve wrote:
I am in the situation that I have recently had my second speed ticket due to a speed camera. I have been looking at buying Road Angel as a means of combating the situation.

Mike, as a way of combating the situation, you could always try sticking to the speed limits! Laughing
mikereeve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke,

Thanks for information

Sniff,

Get a life!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: