Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My experience of TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience of TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Perhaps i am missing something here but this link is for a full TomTom set up not maps. I have rummaged around the whole site and can seem to find updates for most other brands but not TomTom seperately.
Now i wonder why that could be so?.

yes you're right. I already was wondering about the price of the maps.
except the maps for europe, all are with a TTGO.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god for that, can you imagine the uproar if there were updated maps available at £500+ Laughing
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Thank god for that, can you imagine the uproar if there were updated maps available at £500+ Laughing

here you have an updated map. as a side dish we include a TTGO Wink
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
I have rummaged around the whole site and can seem to find updates for most other brands but not TomTom seperately.
Now i wonder why that could be so?.

I think Mike explained...

"Both TomTom and NavMan and all other PDA providers need to manipulate the data to provide the most compact but accurate (hopefully) representation of the data. This process takes up to 2 months per release of data to do the compression and then do the regression testing on that data."

Maybe TeleAtlas 'could' do this on their behalf but my guess is it would bump up the cost?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at some Ordnance Survey maps on the web (www.multimap.co.uk). There's a dotted by-pass on the map labelled "Due to open in 2001" !!!!!
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: map data Reply with quote

mutant wrote:

rob-bob

You are being unreasonable again. The A4 has only been there for 30+ years !

Michael

I would say the TT2 has more memory and space for mapping. The LITTLE TT Go does a darn good job with the hundreds of thousands of miles of roads in it's memory. I, as a Tourist to London decided on trying Rob's route, just for the fun of it.

After TT Go got me exactly to Weltje Rd, i plotted in the route to Upper Mall. Horror of Horrors i thought, i can't go that way, so i turned left. Low and behold, my Little TT Go re-routed me, and in a second, i went down A4, under a flyover, back up the A4, and ended up in Upper Mall.

So common sense prevailed, i couldn't go straight on, i couldn't turn right, even if "jane" tried to tell me to go over the barrier. I had the final say., and can put up with "Jane's" little errors.

On the way back to Blackpool, the M40 was blocked, due to a serious accident, I asked " Jane" to re-route me,, only problem or Error of GPS Rolling Eyes the junction i was to come off at was beyond the accident, maybe the TT2 might have got me around the accident Rolling Eyes or am i expecting to much of GPS.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mike explained...

"Both TomTom and NavMan and all other PDA providers need to manipulate the data to provide the most compact but accurate (hopefully) representation of the data. This process takes up to 2 months per release of data to do the compression and then do the regression testing on that data."

Maybe TeleAtlas 'could' do this on their behalf but my guess is it would bump up the cost?[/quote]
This is not what i was refering to.I was refering more to the fact that most other brands are available seperately but not TomTom, it only comes supplied with the Go unit. Whilst i understand what Mike said, what is the difference with Navman or perhaps Garmin? they are the same sort of system that must have the same limitations when it comes to map preparation and storage yet they are readily available.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: maps Reply with quote

delboy
not about memory and as you have also seen the maps are not an update if it works on tt2 and the same problem is on the tt3 on a pda......and if you went under the flyover you must have gone around the non existant roundabout.....i would love to own a company and sell products to the likes of you...would not have to worry much about how good they did the job just as long as i have got your money......
Cheers
Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: