Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTomGo and WinOV2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTomGo and WinOV2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: TomTomGo and WinOV2 Reply with quote

Have the new TomTomGo (with 512Mb SD and the latest 4v40 update installed).

Want to get into POI creation so tried the WinOV2 programme on it.

Seems to work OK on small/medium POI's but when I tried to decode George Spanellis' Codesearch POI I get an error message saying "...more than 10,000 entries" and the programme then closes itself down!

Am I correct in assuming therefore that there is a limit to what the programme can handle and if so is there an alternative?

Appreciate the TTGo is new so may be a compatability problem - any thoughts anyone?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with my program WinOV2 not TomTom Go Embarassed I placed an arbitrary limit on the size of the file that can be read into it.

The limit in my POIConverter program is 15,000 but off-hand I cannot remember the size of the largest of the George Spanellis OV2 files.

I will hunt out a copy of WinOV2 version 1 for you as there was no limit in that version.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look for WinOV2 in the programs area on my websit http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com you will find version 1.02 which does not have the 10,000 record limit.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply - didn't know you were the author of the programme!
D/loaded version 1.02 from your site.
(Like your site - nice clean, uncluttered look to it!) Smile

Will have a play and let you know how I get on.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Thanks for reply - didn't know you were the author of the programme!
D/loaded version 1.02 from your site.
(Like your site - nice clean, uncluttered look to it!) Smile

Will have a play and let you know how I get on.

OK - had a play and am pleased to report that DumpOV2 and MakeOV2 both appear to work perfectly with the TomTomGo.

Many thanks Oldie!
jregau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTomGo and WinOV2 Reply with quote

[quote="pushandpull"]Have the new TomTomGo (with 512Mb SD and the latest 4v40 update installed).

I also have a TomtomGO and a 512 MB SD card.
Did you manage to copy your favorite destinations (not the POI's) from the original 128 MB card to the new one? . I tried a backup from the old card and a restore to the new one but it seems that favorites are not stored on the SD card but somewhere else, the question is where? and how can you transfer favorites from one card to the other?
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jregau!

Yes, when I transferred everything to the 512 card it was all there.
However - I didn't do it by using the backup/restore facility.
I did it as follows:-

1). Connect TTG to the PC then open Windows Explorer.
2). TTG will show up as a new 'Removable Disc'.
3). Create a new folder on one of your drives (call it say, TomTomGo).
4). Copy everything from the TTG to the TomTomGo folder created above.
5.) Switch off the TTG and insert new card. Switch on TTG.
6). Copy everything from the TomTomGo folder created above back onto the TTG.
7). Switch off the TTG and disconnect the USB cable.
8). Switch on the TTG, wait approx 30 to 60secs and everythiing should be A OK.

Don't know why you can't find your favourites. According to the TTG manual (page 16 para 6.2 'Backing up') it should backup/restore Home and Favourites locations plus preferences.

You could try putting your original 128 card back in and see if your Favourites are still there. If so then follow the procedure above.

Hope this helps!
jregau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I forgot to mention that besides updating the version of the application (from 4.200 to 4.400) I also changed the map. Originaly the map of Spain (Spain Navigator Map) was instaled in the SD card, but since I had much more free storage in the 512MB SD card, I loaded the Iberia map (Spain and Portugal). Favourites and home are associated with each map and are included in a file whose name is "name of map.cfg" . So, if you change the map and want to use the same favourites you already had added in the old map, you should copy and rename this file and place it in the folder with the name of the new map.
Janice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donwloaded all the area postcodes into a file on the PC, then unzipped them and copied them into the TomTomGo gbmap file. I have a 256 card and it holds them all, but not all show up when using the TomTom GO. My husband wanted Nottingham thismorning and NG wasnt in the POI database on the TTGo, but when i plugged it into the PC, it does exist in the files on the 256SD card, along witht lots of other areas of britain which dont show when using the unit. Ive checked that all the POI's are ticked in the Manage POI box, but even in there only half of the postcodes are displayed.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice,

Can't speak for the Nottingham area as I only loaded the NorthWest codes.

HOWEVER - TTT only displays a couple of them on the screen, which makes it seem as if the other aren't there.
What you have to do is use the keyboard and type in "Co" and they will all appear listed as "Codesearch XX" arranged alphabetically. Just scroll down the list 'till you get the one you want and then select it.

Hope this helps.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I donwloaded all the area postcodes into a file on the PC, then unzipped them and copied them into the TomTomGo gbmap file. I have a 256 card and it holds them all, but not all show up when using the TomTom GO.

It seems that the TTG can only manage a maximum of 81 POI files, so you will need to remove the areas you are least likely to use.
jregau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose not all POI's that you can download from internet are reliable. I don't know how postcodes are arranged in Britain, but it looks like what you are looking for are AREAS of interest and not POINTS of interest which is exactly what POIs are. As far as I know there's no accurate way to add areas of interest in the TomtomGO, because any area, small as it might be, has an infinity number of points. I suggest you use a POI's editor and check if it can open all the ov2 files, specially those that don't show in the decive and eventually check there's no error in any of the coordinates defined.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jregau wrote:
I suppose not all POI's that you can download from internet are reliable. I don't know how postcodes are arranged in Britain, but it looks like what you are looking for are AREAS of interest and not POINTS of interest which is exactly what POIs are. As far as I know there's no accurate way to add areas of interest in the TomtomGO, because any area, small as it might be, has an infinity number of points. I suggest you use a POI's editor and check if it can open all the ov2 files, specially those that don't show in the decive and eventually check there's no error in any of the coordinates defined.

jregau,

The UK is quite unique in that a postcode will resolve to a point with just a few houses in it. This makes it much more reliable to locate a destination.

All ohter countries in Europe use a postcode to identify a town so it doesnt have the same significance. The same is true of USA where a big city like Princetown only has 10 zip codes.

So for us in the UK a full postcode search is eally useful.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jregau wrote:
I don't know how postcodes are arranged in Britain, but it looks like what you are looking for are AREAS of interest and not POINTS of interest which is exactly what POIs are ... I suggest you use a POI's editor and check if it can open all the ov2 files, specially those that don't show in the decive and eventually check there's no error in any of the coordinates defined.

George Spanellis' UK Postcode OV2 files work ok. In the UK, postcodes define a very small area, typically no more than a few addresses/houses, that's why getting them all into the TTG is a problem. But they do of course give a very good satellite navigation destination.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: