Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Air vent mount drive smart 50 lmt-d
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Air vent mount drive smart 50 lmt-d

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Air vent mount drive smart 50 lmt-d Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend an air vent mount for a drive smart 50lmt-d , the only ones I've seen on Amazon / EBay seem to have poor reviews , and I'm struggling to find a sensible place to use the windscreen sucker mount on my 3 series
Thanks[/b]
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Brodit - they can be a bit pricy but well made, sturdy and last. The basic mount is car specific and then you buy the bit for your Garmin etc. and screw it in to the vent mount. You can then just change the adaptor/holder when you move to something else.

I had a specific mount for my car and the Garmin adaptor which has worked well for 6 years. I have moved to a tablet and now have a Multimove clip and a holder for the tablet. I can swap between the Garmin and the tablet in about 5 seconds. Brill!
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Allan , I've been on the Brodit web site , and as you said they are expensive! , I wonder if the windscreen pillar mount would be ok for a five inch
Screen , how do you know ?
I would be reluctant to spend £35 not being sure
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Subaru and it hooks over the centre part where the vents and in-built satnav are. I don't like them in my line of sight though that's a personal thing.

http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=653346&pn=prod&brand=Subaru&model=Legacy&year=2007
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can see that , a five inch screen blocks out quite a bit of vision, I'll probably go for the air vent mount in the end , coming from tomtom I find the garmin windscreen mount too long to get the the screen more out of the way
And also very awkward to use
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an issue with a Garmin windscreen mount, I always mount my satnavs bottom right and even with a deeply raked windscreen it works fine. I wouldn't want it any lower as then it would be well out of my eye line.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Garmin beanbag-type mount. It just sits there on the dashtop RHS and it doesn't budge except under the most severe provocation.

Dales.
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Never had an issue with a Garmin windscreen mount, I always mount my satnavs bottom right and even with a deeply raked windscreen it works fine. I wouldn't want it any lower as then it would be well out of my eye line.

I've tried that , but the shape of the dash means I have to mount it higher than I want, as there's not enough space between the instrument binnacle and the windscreen pillar , I have it there now but it obscures my vision more than I like , when I had a tomtom I could get it much lower down with their mount design, I could get it much nearer the windscreen enabling it to fit better
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one of these mounts,

http://tinyurl.com/hd84n95

remove the clip part and cut off the recessed section. Use good quality double sided tape to stick the mount in a suitable location on the dash.

Alternatively, remove the plastic suction cup from a windscreen mount and use double sided tape to stick the mount to a suitable position on the dash Mine overhangs the dash edge centrally with the cable (fine twin cable removed from an extendable reel) held with black mini clips.

BTW Garmin circular clip mounts can be bought on fleebuy for pennies
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b33jay wrote:
Buy one of these mounts,

http://tinyurl.com/hd84n95

remove the clip part and cut off the recessed section. Use good quality double sided tape to stick the mount in a suitable location on the dash.

Alternatively, remove the plastic suction cup from a windscreen mount and use double sided tape to stick the mount to a suitable position on the dash Mine overhangs the dash edge centrally with the cable (fine twin cable removed from an extendable reel) held with black mini clips.

BTW Garmin circular clip mounts can be bought on fleebuy for pennies

Thanks I'll see where I can put the mount , doing it as you suggest
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Air vent mount drive smart 50 lmt-d Reply with quote

jrleeming wrote:
Can anyone recommend an air vent mount for a drive smart 50lmt-d[/b]

I got the Garmin air vent mount from Halfords for my DS50 and it is absolutely fine in my Volvo. It is a little low but much better than obscuring the windscreen.

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
jrleeming
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Air vent mount drive smart 50 lmt-d Reply with quote

JoeGriffin wrote:
jrleeming wrote:
Can anyone recommend an air vent mount for a drive smart 50lmt-d[/b]

I got the Garmin air vent mount from Halfords for my DS50 and it is absolutely fine in my Volvo. It is a little low but much better than obscuring the windscreen.

Thanks , i'll have a look at weekend

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: