Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3590LMT map and speed problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3590LMT map and speed problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
That's why it's renamed that way then, MapInstall does that. Note it's not a good idea to use MapInstall as that doesn't install things like junction view etc.

If you've installed it once then the reinstall should be much quicker, as the files installed by Garmin Express that are used to compile the map that's sent to your nuvi will still be there, unless you've deleted them, so all that will be needed is for Express to compile the map from data already on your PC.

I am just installing the UK portion with GE, could Basecamp be another way to load maps although BC reports my 2016.30 map as locked and cannot unlock it.

I will re-download all the map when in the UK where BB speeds are much quicker.

I have a OSM Cyprus map I am going to try using to see what that does, I will load that as a supplementary map if there is enough room.

If I delete the garmindevice.xml will it create another one automatically? I have read that could be causing the issue with errors in it.

I have this error now using JaVaWa
This device will not function optimally, because it doesn't contain a basemap, how do I get a basemap in there?

Thanks for all your time and advice its really appreciated.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no Basemap you must have deleted it somehow. Did you back up your files when you got your nuvi? If so find the Basemap and copy it back.

Using BaseCamp simply launches MapInstall, so no, not a good idea to use that either. Both are really aimed at handheld devices which don't have things like junction view, voice files etc.

Yes, deleting the xml file will cause your Garmin to recreate it but I'd be surprised if that's the issue.
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that it was backed up, I have found a file called Gmapbmap.img, would that be the one? If so where do I put it and does it require any other files with it?
I was going to post a screenshot of the system folder contents but cannot find where to put that on here

Found another file gmapsupp.img ? I have not deleted any .img files I have them all in a folder

Garmin express, does that not back it up?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Gmapbmap.img is the Basemap. It needs to go back into the .system folder.

gmapsupp.img is probably your Cyprus OSM map.

Express only backs up user data (favourites and trips)
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, does it require any other files with it? Do I just copy and paste it the folder?

I am downloading the full 2017.10 map again to my sd card using GE, I renamed the Garmin folder on my computer to _old, so hopefully I might get a non corrupted map this time. I see it created a new Garmin folder under the C:\ProgrammeData folder.

You have been really great I cannot thank you enough for your help. I will post my results tomorrow, thanks again for all your help. Very Happy Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeyman wrote:
That's great, does it require any other files with it? Do I just copy and paste it the folder?

No. Yes. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: