Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTGo: Customised sound files for speed camera warnings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTGo: Customised sound files for speed camera warnings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ade_ttg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: TTGo: Customised sound files for speed camera warnings? Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anyone advise whether it is possible to create and use one's own sound files for the speed camera warnings?

I seem to remember reading something last night in a user's review of the TTGo on a shopping site, which stated that it is possible, but have been scanning this fine forum here which seems very authoritative on the whole GPS thing, and this topic doesn't seem to have been covered.

There is an AT&T 'natural speech' website where you can make your own sentences which would seem to lend itself nicely to this purpose! I am totally PC literate just not TTGo literate yet. Hit me with the complicated terminology, I can handle it.

I have not yet purchased the Go, having not been aware it existed until yesterday, but am already hooked and intend to order within a day or two.

Ade
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ade,

Welcome to the forum.

You can read MikeB’s review of the free TomTom GO 4.40 software update here. I recommend that you read it, however to answer your question, the answer is unfortunately no:

MikeB wrote:
There is a range of 15 sounds that you can have played ranging from bells and beeps to a bugle and a cukoo (TomTom's spelling not mine). These are pretty limited, but they do have the desired effect of catching your attention.

You can set different sounds for different POI databases, so you can have a range of alerts blasting your eardrums as you approach these POIs.

At the moment there is no capability to have your own sound file played. This is one request I made to TomTom during the beta test. I don't know what the outcome is at this time.

If you want an alternative to TTGO, then you could use TomTom Navigator for the Pocket PC and a free POI Detector like CheckPOInt 2.0.2 then you can use your own sounds, such as Natural Voices.

What ever you choose, there’s somebody that can help here.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade,

Welcome to the world of GPS and the Forum. Welcome

At the moment there is no capability to have your own sound file played for warning you of a POI, but this has been requested by a number of people.

An excellent article on the GO product can be found here:

http://pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-poi.php

When TT do actually support this function I have set up a number of predefined warnings for speed cameras which were done by using natural voices, URL below.
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it Robert! Laughing
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beefy,

No problem, I was actually just looking for your website link, so I could recommend it, so you beat me too. ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Ade_ttg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps,

It's nice when people are falling over one another to help a newbie! Thanks for that and the welcome.

I suppose it comes down to how receptive TT are to those important 'little things'. Meanwhile has anyone tried hacking it, i.e. replacing some of the pre-set sound files with their own? Or maybe TT use some weird proprietary sound file type, in which case one would need someone at TomTom to release a little proggy to do the conversion from a .wav or at least let on how to do it.

Anyhow, I did consider getting a PDA and the TT software 6 months ago but I much prefer the idea of a simple one box solution. I was concerned about low volume with a PDA (must be very quiet), and clutter. So the ttgo is most likely the one for me.

Thanks
Ade
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio files are not stored in wav files like TT, I believe that they are kept in VOB files. There is a discussion about this somewhere.

Also, the Audio is too quiet to use in a car for my PDA, but you either buy a PDA holder with an amplifier/speaker integrated into it, or do as I did and buy a cheap car phone kit (£8.00) and modifiy it. I now have a clip that goes over the speaker outlet on the PDA that is then amplified.

As to cables even with my wired setup I have hidden all of the wires in the dash creases so there are no cables visible. I mounted the PDA holder on the air vent and and all you see is about 2 inches of cable going from the dash to the bottom of the PDA.

Anyway TTG is ahead in builtin functionality at present from TT, although this functionality can be achieved by POI-Warner or CheckpOInt etc.

I sure you have weighed it up Smile
Ade_ttg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deed is done, have ordered a GO. Was late for three appointments early this week due to my directional ineptitude so something had to be done quickly to stop the steam coming out of my ears!

Ade
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't expect to take the same routes that you would when you drive. SatNav will get you from A to B in one piece, but sometimes it will take strange routes depending on routing algorithms. That's the same with all systems, but it will get you there.

Common sense by checking the route/destination before you leave and leaving as much time for traffic hold ups and I think you'll get to love SatNav!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: