Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go / POI / Speed Alert !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go / POI / Speed Alert !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gypsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go / POI / Speed Alert !!! Reply with quote

guys , Have ordered myself a tomtom go (was using ipaq 2210 & tt3)

Although my ipaq was cool , i found i was only using it for sat nav , and wasted as a pda , pain to fix up as well , bluetooth didnt always work , so anded up with a bulky cf gps card etc......anyway , not ideal for me , and think tomtom go wil be lot less bodged....

just got a letter today , 39mph in a 30 , £60 and 3 points is my prize.....

bought myslef a Laser Alert thing as well (i always buy a new gadjet when i get done !!!)

So sob story over , back to my question , there is a device on the market "speed genie" that lets you know you are traveling over the speed limit once set....

I know how to get speed camera database set up etc once i get me unit , but never looked into speed warning stuff , (want to curve my driving habbits) , GPSassist is suposed to be able to handle such a job ,but cant find any info on it working with tomtom go.......

Does anybody use any ove speed /speeding alert options with there tomtom go ??????

If so , how and what please , before i go out and spend another £70 just for this option , should be able to do it some how with a gps unit i would have thought....

Cheer , guys , new on here , put use it daily...!!!!
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, You cannot use any third party software such as gpsassist, check-point, etc on the tom tom go at this stage. wether they will in the future who knows. I recently has a ticket, didn't realise my car would go that fast.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity you decided to ditch the PDA. There is a free application called Travel-i which gives speed alerts if you exceed the set limit (and camera warnings too for those who still don't have this feature).

I have been using this piece of software for several days and it works remarkably well!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
martinleebriggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Travel i Reply with quote

icsys I had a look on the travel i site and you are right this looks a good little program but it is not free or have I done something wrong.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the Travel-i LE ... this is the lite version.
It is free but the speed warnings and safety camera alerts are fully functioning. Wink
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fantastic device on the market and it comes with a car as standard, completely free. Its called a speedometer, you look at it and it tells you the speed you are travelling at. Link this up to the free service provided on most roads (speed limit signs) and you've got a free speed warning device!!

Further still the highways boffins also offer free plug ins to this service in the form of repeater speed limt signs and markings on the road!!
gypsy666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm nice , thanks very much for your help....

Not sure everybody would agree , you could say the same about speed cameras , big and yellow etc....but people would still like a reminder to watch there speed...

reason i ask , is that a few days ago i got catch doing 39mph , in what turned out to be a 30...

I'm going to contest it obviously , as the road was a 40 1 month ago , signe are up but i joined the road between them , i.e. t junction ....no signes to be seen....

I want to be able to set a 30mph beep , to remind me to check my speedo , not check my speedo and see i'm doing 40 , get me !!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gypsy,

gypsy wrote:
GPSAssist is supposed to be able to handle such a job, but can’t find any info on it working with TomTom Go.......

Ugly-Kid-Joe is right, TomTom Go does not accept plug-ins, although it may possibly do so in the future. However you can use GPSAssist with TTNav 3.xx on a PDA. And yes there is a speed alert section that allows you to set what the local speed limits are in your country and then select one so that you are alerted if you exceed the limit that you have set yourself.

Good luck in contesting the tick, please let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichXDA2 wrote:
There is a fantastic device on the market and it comes with a car as standard, completely free. Its called a speedometer, you look at it and it tells you the speed you are travelling at. Link this up to the free service provided on most roads (speed limit signs) and you've got a free speed warning device!!

Thank you very much for your input.
I take it from your response you are a cautious motorist. You never speed, unintentionally or otherwise. This is to be commended as there are too many dare I say, idiots on the road.

However in order for you to never exceed the limit you must be constantly looking at this fantastic device which suggests that you are not paying attention to whats happening on the road ahead. This I would suggest is more dangerous than driving the occasional 2-3 mph above the limit.

I dont mean to be pedantic but the idea of the speed warnings or camera database is to warn against unintentional driving above the limits set.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am not a cautious motorist, and I don't spend all my time looking at the speedo. A good driver should be aware of the speed they are doing without having to constantly watch the speedo! As for exceeding the speed limit of course I do and if you're talking about exceeding the speed limit by 2 - 3 mph, its a myth that you get prosecuted for this as speedos by law are set to read high (ie must be within 5-10% and above actual speed) hence the guidance to the authorities of 10% + 2mph for prosecution.

However, I do have sympathy for Gypsy666, if there were no signs warning of the new speed limit then you will have a justified case to contest the prosecution. In this case though, I don't think any speed warning device would have saved you as you say that the limit had only been in force for a month and I suspect that this would be too early to appear on any databse!
diadema
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichXDA2 wrote:
its a myth that you get prosecuted for this as speedos by law are set to read high (ie must be within 5-10% and above actual speed) hence the guidance to the authorities of 10% + 2mph for prosecution.

If only that were the case! ACPO guidelines are simply that, GUIDELINES. They are not law and do not have to be implimented. There are in fact several cases of people being prosecuted for 34, 33 and even 32mph in a 30 limit. My father being one of them!

Nath.
gypsy666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments.......and got me thinking......

Wouldnt it be nice to have the speed limit show up in tomtom as you drive along...all the time

There are times i'm that busy looking at traffic & driving in the rain , that once the road is clear , i want a sign to be able to tell me what speed i can do , and there not there !!!!

I'd like an add on that shows me the speed limit 24/7 , wherever i am , you would think it would have to be free as well !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: