Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - From TomTom to Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

From TomTom to Garmin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it. I realised that I have to change settings to remove the adjacent cameras, so tried to launch the program again. Now, even when I run as Administrator I get a pink middle column, (and when I don't, all the columns are pink!).

What is happening? It worked the other day, and now it doesn't - and I haven't changed anything on my computer (Windows 7, 64 bit).

Should I uninstall and reinstall the program? It seems a bit silly to do that when it has worked before.

Once again, at the risk of being a nuisance, Help!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check that you have a complete matching set of files for what you require.

Those colours are just warnings.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been struggling. Then I realised that the program needs to go into the same folder as the camera files! I'm not sure how I did it before, because Ive been uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting, re-downloading, etc. In an effort to solve the problem.

Anyway, I put the Converter program into the POI loader folder, together with all the camera files, ran the program and unticked the "adjacent" and "un verified" boxes, as well as shortening the warning times and setting the overspeed times to "0" in all cases. Then I ran it, all columns went green, and....we'll see tomorrow! By the way, while processing I noticed Duplicates coming up. And on the device there are two lots of cameras. Is this normal? And if so, why?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the program doesn't need to go in the same folder, there is a menu option to set the 'working folder' which is where the files go.

Once you have it up and running, which is what you did once, all you need to do as required is download the latest PGPSW zip file to the 'working folder' and just unzip it into the 'working folder'.

1) Download the latest PGPSW file
2) Unzip it
3) Use the program 'Process' button
4) Use POILoader
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "working folder" is the POI loader folder! Would it be possible, or desirable, to create a separate sub-folder, within the POI loader folder, for the camera files and the Converter program? If the program and the unzipped files all need to be in the same folder, what is the issue of having a separate working folder?

I don't know enough about how these things work. I'm very interested, and am willing to try things out, but as I truly don't understand some of the logic I can get very frustrated!
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue, when I didn't have the program in the same folder as the camera files, it didn't work. When I moved it to that folder (the POI loader folder) it did work. So for me, it seems that it does need to go into the same folder.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a stab in the dark. I think (without checking) that Joy said earlier that she had a permissions problem with where she had the stuff. Could this be because she is trying to do everything in 'Program files' instead of somewhere that she definitely has full permissions for such as somewhere in 'My Documents' instead of a system folder? Or is this a 'red herring' just adding even more confusion to the debate?
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have "permissions" problems. I do have to run the Program as Administrator - not a problem. Yes, I do have it, and all the Garmin stuff, in my Program files.

On my journey to work this morning still got multiple warnings. Firstly, although I had unchecked the "Unverified" box, I still got repeated warnings about "Unverified speed check area" in one area, and then, on the North Circular Road with its 50 mph limits, where I had set the warning to 10 seconds, I got one warning about 30 seconds before the cameras, and another 10 seconds before. This happened whether or not I was driving above the speed limit. And in some places I got warnings where there is no camera, so I suspect that was to do with cameras in the opposite lane, although I had unchecked the "Adjacent" box.

It's better than it was, but still not perfect. Any ideas?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:
I don't have "permissions" problems. I do have to run the Program as Administrator - not a problem. Yes, I do have it, and all the Garmin stuff, in my Program files.
But I think that you do have a permissions problem if you have to run it as an administrator. You should not really put data in the Program files folder. But as I said. Probably a red herring, but I would like to see Kremmen's opinion on the subject.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right.

Win7 stops write access to the Program Files folder for non Admins. That's why I designed in a separate Working Directory that should be placed elsewhere.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: I think I'm there! Reply with quote

It seems that I've finally got there, within Garmin's constraints. I still get some repeated warnings, but I gather that this is due to the Garmin set up.

Thank you, Kremmen, for a brilliant program. Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to guiding me through this tortuous process. I've even downloaded the latest cameras and installed them, and it worked! I drove along a different route today and got nice voice warnings about various cameras. That is what I wanted all along.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From now on just:

1) Download the PGPSW zip file to the 'working directory'
2) Unzip it to the 'working directory' by using the dropdown menu within the program and only unzipping the camera files.
3) Hit the 'Process' menu option
4) Use POILoader

4 short steps is all that is required.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being able to unzip just the camera files is great. I have doubled the size of the icons, thus do not want them over written by each pgpsw update.

Would be great if an option was added to select the generation or not of the overspeed files. I don't find these useful so have deleted the overspeed.wav file. This means after my process I get a pink rather than green screen.

Thanks for the program, it certainly improves on just using pgpsw & poi loader.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joy,

You should not be getting duplicate cameras on your nuvi.
This is caused by either having the sample Garmin speed cams enabled on your nuvi or having two installed versions off the pgpsw files.

POI Converter program renames the pgpsw files, so it is likely that you have two sets on your device, one with the pgpsw file names and one generated by CSV Converter.

Now you have POI Converter program sorted, would suggest you use Garmins POI loader and select the option to remove all custom POI files. Remember they could be stored on the internal or SD card memory.

Also check on your PC, the directory where you store the POI files for upload to your nuvi, you only have the POI converter files and not also a copy of the original PGPS files.

Original pgpsw files have number in the file names, e.g pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.csv

The POI Converter files are changed to Gatso_Twenty.csv

Hope the above helps.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wibbley

You can stop the generation of overspeed by setting the overspeed column values to zero.

I have selectively done this on my screenshot, above, and the Gatso var 70's for example are set to zero because depending on the set variable speed I may or may not be speeding.

For me it works a treat.

If your happy to dig into the files to check, with a value of zero in the overspeed column the entries within the GPX file are unique. With an overspeed value set you will see 2 almost identical lines one with a @ and one with a #. The only other difference will be the 'proximity' value that determines where you get the advance warning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: