Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO AND POSTCODES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO AND POSTCODES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: GO AND POSTCODES Reply with quote

Hi, I am confused with recent posts on the subject of postcodes for use with GO.
Am i right in thinking we cant use the brilliant digitools database from Niels just yet?.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are wrong in thinking this. TomTom GO will not allow any third party developer tools to be used, which includes Digitools PostCode, GPS Assist, POI-Warner, CheckPOInt just to name a few.

If you want to use these, then you will need to sell GO and purchase a Pocket PC with TomTom Navigator 3 as this is the only way you can use these applications.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, What i was implying was that you cant use the postcodes, but reading some recent posts it got me cofused as it seems there are users who think this is possible. Although i have read somewhere on this site that this could be a future development if an SDK was released by the powers that be.
A case of dont hold your breath i feel.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcode support is in GO as it presently stands. This supports a 5 digit UK postcode, e.g. SO15 5??. This will in most cases get you to town/city level, sometimes to the suburb but not to street level. 5 digits is all that TeleAtlas currently support in their extraction layer.

Currently there are no support for add-on products. GO is on a different operating platform to what TTN3 is, and TomTom still do not suggest whether they will bring out an SDK for the new platform which also services the Palm TTN platform and soon to be PPC platform.

If you look at the feature set over the past two years that TomTom have been adding, they have been taking most of the features from add-on products and incorporating it into the major release of TTN. With that in mind, although the custom user community of TomTom is vast, it does make you wonder if the SDK will ever come out.
endoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the POI page there are some files with postcodes for areas of the UK. Has anyone tried these on the Go, and are they likely to give us a full searchable postcode facility?
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endoman wrote:
On the POI page there are some files with postcodes for areas of the UK. Has anyone tried these on the Go, and are they likely to give us a full searchable postcode facility?

I've tried those post codes, I tried them for the North West, I typed in my post code and it gave me my street. I found the only drawback was that when you type in a postcode that you want you are not given the option to enter a house number and will take you to the centre of the road.
endoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting down to street level has to be an improvement though, sounds like it's worth a try, thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: