Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that earlier too but the comment from Ditte no longer mentions a new Navcore.

Last edited by spook51 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I read that earlier too but the cooment from Ditte no longer mentions a new Navcore.

Indeed, someone hasd been using the edit function without leaving any trace of having done it, not very good news, I just hope Ditte still has a job and TomTom haven't fired him for posting the original message, only wish I had a screen grab of the original text but I can remember enough of what it said to have a go at TomTom on their own web site over the matter later this weekend - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
TomTom are now saying that to increase the range any further than 75 miles as it currently has will require a new Navcore to address the issue, this is complete crap as they turned down the range and claimed it to be an "Upgrade"
How long for new Navores to be released to cover all the Live equipped devices released to date, I guess we will be in for a very long wait to get this service back to how it was when it first launched - Mike

I didn't see that Mike, are we to assume it has been edited off again? (I looked, but no sign of editing - OOOPS I see you've already posted again on that score. Shameful misuse of their own admin facility if you ask me). But if they are going along that line, the simple answer is surely that they are not going to restore the service - as you say, very long wait, but I also agree it's complete crap - they didn't issue a new Navcore to throttle it down. It looks like they must have a poor level of esteem for Ditte if they pass that sort of junk to him. And the next Navcore will be for the next 11xx devices which are surely only just round the corner. Most of us will have experience that once TomTom introduce a new model, previous model owners cannot hope for much (if any) action regarding outstanding problems.

With their moves towards what I thought was restoration, I was reconsidering my idea of jumping ship, believing that a fully working HD Traffic service was worth having. Now I'm reconsidering reconsidering again!! It's mind blowing how they regard us customers.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Ditte's post of a week ago.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have just been in touch with the team that are working on the TomTom HD Traffic.

The increase to 120x120km TomTom HD traffic box was successfully rolled out to all LIVE devices. As Kenneth said in his post, this increase was just the first step. Updating all of the systems did take about an hour from start to finish, hence it is possible that you experienced some fluctuations during that time.

The increase to the older devices that connect to HOME affects both the effective traffic range and also the traffic range that you can browse on your devices.

The newer devices that connect to MyTomTom will already see the increase when they browse the map. The effective traffic range has improved; so the 40 minute traffic horizon is more effective. With that said, the TomTom HD Traffic team is continuously working on identifying further improvement to make sure we’re providing the best traffic solution.

TomTom have acknowledged the importance of this topic, hence we will actively work on further improving your experience. As to the extension to 160km, we need to do further testing on this topic, but we will keep you up to date on any progress.

As part of this constant improvement we may want to approach some of you guys to assist us with further field testing.

Thanks for all your feedback and have a great weekend!

What got edited?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post today which seems to have said they will need a new Navcore to overcome the throttling back of the service. But which was apparently amended to say "Thanks for all your feedback and have a great weekend!"

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Missed that. Obviously.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis (and others) - in my own experience during the past couple of weeks the change to Traffic has been noticeable. I've made a few long round trips and found the range to have extended significantly (to 124 miles in one instance).

As I've said before though, my needs are possibly unusual as I make the same journey fairly frequently; how are you finding the recent range change affects your trips?

I wholly agree that owners of older TT models should not be ignored by any further improvements to Traffic, I bought my 940 specifically because the service was so highly praised on this and other web sites.

Incidentally, Ditte is a girl's name, isn't it?
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditte's post originally said something like "further improvements will require an updated Navcore".

This could be quite correct for Navcore 3 devices which have always had the 40 minute traffic horizon. I imagine that they are working on improving those before worrying about obsolescent devices.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
.....obsolescent devices.

That's a VERY inaccurate term!

Models that maybe just a few months old (and are still for sale in some countries) and ones that have many more features than any current efforts can hardly be described as obsolescent!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
As I've said before though, my needs are possibly unusual as I make the same journey fairly frequently; how are you finding the recent range change affects your trips?

I have found that since we started the Facebook and TT Discussions threads, TT have taken notice and started to recover (on my 550 Live) some of what they took away - it looks like I'm getting 75 miles most of the time now, but it's difficult to assess - it could be 500 miles with no incidents en route. Rolling Eyes I don't know how they are doing it and they don't say how either - so frustrating and makes me feel like they treat me as a child, telling me what's good for me or otherwise. I remain convinced I used to get more than I do now and more than I thought I had paid for. If only they would treat us as intelligent adults they could surely draw us back onto their side.

Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a high mileage TT user I have noticed a greater traffic coverage. Also on Friday traffic had no outrages. I picked up in Flitwick and Stevenage going to High Wycome and then onto Hove. I left Flitwick at about 10.00 am I hit traffic around J10 M25 (M3) which showed up as 4 minutes while travelling down the M40 and increased to 10 minutes in it. On leaving Hove going back to Letchworth I was going back across the Dartford crossing what ever TT said but it saw the problems around J 8,9,10,11 M25 so it planned the Dartford route. I did use my knowledge to miss most of the tunnel tailback which TT wouldn't have. Traffic worked as it should though I was always within the 75 mile traffic radius.

For me if they increased it to 100 miles I would be happy as long as they make it as stable with no outrages.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem is since that last (edited) post by Ditte they have gone very quiet on the subject........

I can't see anything happening anytime soon now Sad

I would have thought that it was fairly obvious that the newer (MyTomTom) devices would require a Navcore update to get rid of the 'horizon' feature that seems to apply to POI's, Traffic and also (rather worryingly) the newly implemented Waypoints feature.

For the older (HOME) devices it seems to be all set from the server end so they should be fairly easy to put back to 100 miles radius.

I still can't find a screenshot of HD Traffic when it was first launched to see if it has always been 100 miles radius, or if it was further when the service was first launched.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

For the older (HOME) devices it seems to be all set from the server end so they should be fairly easy to put back to 100 miles radius.

I still can't find a screenshot of HD Traffic when it was first launched to see if it has always been 100 miles radius, or if it was further when the service was first launched.

I do know that it was the whole route as I have had my XL Live IQ for two years and it was only a month or so ago that it got crippled.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range is only one of the problems... I was stuck for 10 minutes on the way out (A724 towards J2 of M74) and 15 minutes on the way back (J2 M74/A724 towards Cambuslang. HD Traffic gaily reported no delays. I notice that the M74 is still not on the web version of HD traffic, but the A724 is!!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy wrote:
Range is only one of the problems... I was stuck for 10 minutes on the way out (A724 towards J2 of M74) and 15 minutes on the way back (J2 M74/A724 towards Cambuslang. HD Traffic gaily reported no delays. I notice that the M74 is still not on the web version of HD traffic, but the A724 is!!!

I suffer this regularly in the North West and have reported it to TT on numerous occasions - I gave up reporting when they gave up acknowledging, but it's very frustration sitting in a traffic jam or at road works watching my eta grow ever more distant whilst my trusty 550/ HD Traffic reports no delays Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 21 of 27

Jump to: