Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database for NDrive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database for NDrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watchmaker wrote:
Have you actually tested an Android/NDrive yourself?

I don't have a functioning version on Android. I was given it and asked to provide my IMEI to unlock maps. The maps never unlocked and they never bothered replying after that. Doesn't paint a great name for their customer service when they can't even be bothered getting a review copy to work.

In a similar vein they never actually sent a PND for review either like they promised. After a bit of badgering they said "oh, it must have been lost in the post" and never even followed it up or sent another one out.

I mean, we're only a small team of 4/5 but we have hundred of thousands of visitors on a daily basis so we're not a site to be sniffed at when it comes to reviews...

Anyway, the point being, I have no way to test it myself and cannot afford to purchase the software off my own back just to test installation when the developers have already assured us it should work. But then again they assured us they were sending a device to review and some maps for the Android app...

By the way, I'm not saying that you are wrong - just that the data is there before transfer and not after so it has to be an NDrive issue - and one that we are unable to test directly. Sorry for the rant!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - just wanted to add that NDrive were the company who's iPhone app had so many bugs and issues that Apple removed it from sale. It never returned with the forest fixes - how's that for customer service?!

MaFt
Watchmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: M25 cameras missing! Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,

This evening I have tried editing the single camera file, concentrating on the section of M25 between A3 and A245. Cameras 14664, 14663, 14293 & 10704.
The entries are like this (as you know!)

GATSO:14664@70
speed=70;units=mph;type=fixed

(HTML tags deleted)

I have tried all manner of numbers in the place of the 2 speed statements but whatever I do to them 10704 shows all the time and the other 3 never.

I have examined the entire statement for 14664 and 10704 and apart from positional detail I can see no difference between them.

I shall have another look on Saturday evening when I will download a fresh file.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Frank.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: M25 cameras missing! Reply with quote

Watchmaker wrote:
This evening I have tried editing the single camera file, concentrating on the section of M25 between A3 and A245. Cameras 14664, 14663, 14293 & 10704.

I have tried all manner of numbers in the place of the 2 speed statements but whatever I do to them 10704 shows all the time and the other 3 never.

Any thoughts?

Yes, please do humour me. Can you delete EVERYTHING from the file EXCEPT for the 4 cameras you mention?

I'm wondering if their import process can only handle a certain number of POIs? ID 10704 is the 4,809th POI and 14293 is the 5,449th. I'm wondering if there is a '5,000 POIs per file' limit. If there is then that's terrible. But it's worth testing!

MaFt
Watchmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: M25 cameras missing! Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,

It is quite a job to delete several thousand entries so I first tried importing the pmobile file that comes with the single file, as I reckoned there could only be a few hundred entries at most.
Result: no change except that 10704 has disappeared, but interestingly all the other UK cameras were still there. I expected them to disappear.

Next I extracted the 4 cameras from the single file together with the header and tail and imported that. Exactly the same result. ALL the old cameras were still there but not the 4.

I now think that my NDrive is not importing anything even though it claims it is. I have some history here. Some time after I first installed NDrive I changed the memory chip from 2 Gig to 8 and copied all the maps across. Thereafter NDrive began to refuse to run, inviting me to pay for the maps before continuing. I had no intention of paying again and emailed the NDrive team. They told me to delete the maps and re-download them, which I did, free of charge. I have now had to do this 3 times. NDrive now runs OK but I am still concerned that it may be faulty. I have so far been unable to work out how to download NDrive's camera file which seems to be free. I am happy to continue testing but I think I need to talk to NDrive again and see if I can get them to arrange for me to remove NDrive from my Wildfire and re-install without payment, something they have so far resisted, always telling me to download the maps again.

I will pursue this with the NDrive team and come back to you.

Would you like to give me your email address and I will contact you directly when I have some results?

Regards, Frank.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt AT pocketgpsworld.com - but possibly better to continue in forum where it may help other users?

MaFt
Watchmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: M25 cameras missing! Reply with quote

OK, but I can't help anymore until I have info from NDrive.

Regards, frank.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got NDrive on my Desire HD so will do some testing to see what I can come up with. Is there anything specific you would like testing?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a quick test and found the following:

1) The NDrive supplied speed camera database appears to be located at sdcard/ndrive/alerts_db/alerts.version_number. The current file is alerts.225 and contains 5284 cameras.

2) The imported PGPSW speed camera database is at sdcard/ndrive/alerts and is a much smaller file than the KML file (744K instead of over 3M in the download). It appears to be a SQlite database and contains 10404 entries.

3) Importing a new PGPSW database overwrites the existing alerts SQLite file so there is no reason to delete it when updating. The file size stays at 744K though and it does mean that the separate pmobile alerts will need to be added to the main file before importing. When both are combined (I think I did it right) I get 11480 entries in the SQLite DB and it is slightly larger at 821K

4) The variable speed cameras with a speed of 0 do not seem to show up at all. I will do some random checks of others but have found at least 1 camera that is in the SQLite DB but does not show up (camera 88150 which is in line 10074) so it appears not all cameras show up.

Edit to add - Only the first 10000 entries show up and any cameras with a speed of 0 do not get imported at all.

5) I made the mistake of adding some alerts as personal KML favourites and have not been able to find where this data is stored to delete it. Just deleting the KML file has had no effect so I will need to speak to NDrive to resolve this.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Edit to add - Only the first 10000 entries show up and any cameras with a speed of 0 do not get imported at all.

This appears to be the main limitation then. If I change the variable speeds to display as, say, 1mph instead then these should alert. However, we are still stuck with the 10,000 limit (same as Navman...) so not a lot we can do with that...

I'm guessing from what you say then that we need to put all the pMobs in the same file as the main database as an actual single file?

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
This appears to be the main limitation then. If I change the variable speeds to display as, say, 1mph instead then these should alert. However, we are still stuck with the 10,000 limit (same as Navman...) so not a lot we can do with that...

I'm guessing from what you say then that we need to put all the pMobs in the same file as the main database as an actual single file?

I haven't tried changing any of the variable speed limits to 1 yet but suspect that will be the case. Also the limit appears to prevent using the full database and would cause issues if the pMobile cameras are added to the main file - potentially lose some confirmed locations and get unconfirmed in their place.

Also for anyone tempted to add the cameras as personal favourites, I would suggest not doing so. Favourites are stored in a SQLite db file called appdata which is stored on the phone itself in a location like /data/data/com.ndrive.androiduk_ireland/ (I guess this would change if the version installed is Europe etc). This file keeps a record of all the users personal settings in the app as well and is only accessible if you have rooted your phone. So far the only 2 ways I have found to delete them are to manually delete each one inside NDrive or to edit the db using a SQLite db manipulation program on a computer. Neither are particularly easy for most users to do.

I have a support request in with NDrive to try and clarify these findings so will report back when I hear more (or have more testing results). If you want anything else testing etc then let me know.
FmTroll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: NDrive on Android Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've read the string with great interest, thanks for helping me out even without asking Smile

Just got a SE Xperia Arc, bought NDrive 11 (Android Market), installed as it should. Maps for Scandinavia.

Yesterday, I subscibed for the speed cam database. Downloaded European database. Unzipped, connected the phone via USB, copied the file "pocketgps_eur_pmobile" to the phone, disconnected, started up NDrive, imported the file.

Cameras show up in NDrive, but no warnings!
(Speed Cam warnings activated in the program)

Am I missing out on something?

Thanks in advance!!
Watchmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: NDrive/Android Reply with quote

Hi MaFt,

I succeeded in erasing NDrive and re-installing it. I installed NDrive 10 from the Android Market and NDrive recognised my already purchased maps and downloaded them free. I thought that was quite impressive. Only problem is I am now running NDrive 10, with no idea how to upgrade to 11. It seems to work OK so I think I'll leave it alone!

So, at the moment I have a virgin installation with only NDrive's cameras installed.
Before I import a PGPS file it would be useful to know of a brand new gatso on your database that will not be on NDrive's. Only then can I be sure it is actually importing.

It's good to see there are now 2 of us willing to test. Instructions please!

Regards, Frank.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had NDrive 10 on Android I never successfully got the PGPSW cameras to import and NDrive support told me that it was impossible when I queried it - I hope your luck is better than mine.

I have also had a reply from NDrive

Quote:
On the NDrive main menu select "My NDrive" "Settings" "System" "Restore Settings".
With this reset will delete all information that was imported into the equipment.
After this you can re-import only the information that you want.
We can not confirm if the number of speed cameras is limited to 10000.
The software NDrive is not prepared to recognize speed cameras with variable speed limit.

The initial part was explaining how to delete all the favourites I had imported but I have also covered another way to do this in an earlier post since the method NDrive suggest will also remove all custom settings.
The remaining 2 parts are self explanatory but not that helpful (especially the one about 10000 cameras). If they cannot confirm it then it would be nice if they had confirmed the actual amount. I still suspect it is 10000 as my testing showed that the 10000 camera was present but the one at 10001 wasn't.
Watchmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This thread appears to have stopped. Has MaFt lost interest?

I cannot get any further with this without the info from I requested from MaFt but as NDrive appears to only handle 10,000 speed cams and there are more than that on the PGPS database maybe there is nothing further to be done and the NDrive database might as well be abandoned.

I have been round the M25 twice recently and tested Cameralert on my Wildfire and it crashed both times. It has crashed around Brighton as well. As neither the Ndrive database or Cameralert works for me I might as well cancel my subscription when if falls due in August unless a solution is found or if TomTom arrives for Android.

Any thoughts MaFt?

Best regards, Frank.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: