Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3 Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3 Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed traffic it works brilliantly with my maps of GB, but it really screwed up my maps of Europe!

They (1) lost all their favourites. (2) turned all the 'modern icons' into what I can only describe as - square spirals. (3) lost all the properties settings.

I had to go into ALL the installed different maps of europe that I have and reset everything to 'default' then change them to what I was used to.

Bloody hell.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oisky wrote:
When I installed traffic it works brilliantly with my maps of GB, but it really screwed up my maps of Europe!

They (1) lost all their favourites. (2) turned all the 'modern icons' into what I can only describe as - square spirals. (3) lost all the properties settings.

I had to go into ALL the installed different maps of europe that I have and reset everything to 'default' then change them to what I was used to.

Bloody hell.

I had this only worse (I think). I got the sqare icons but then once I'd done the same routine as you I ended up with no way of accessing the 3rd (icons) screen as the second didn't have a "more" arrow just an additonal check traffic icon. So I could get to the properies screen via navigator only from map view. I then tried to reset to default all the multiple entries I had (ie 6 "navigate to"etc) but nothing I tried including reinstalling over the top made any difference - including just installing ttn3 without traffic - I still had the bloody traffic icons everywhere!

In the end I unistalled everything todo with tomtom and then reinstalled it but I think the error related to the fact that the safety screen was somehow set to zero when traffic got installed. I also got complete mumbo jumbo in the 3 boxs which normal show arrival time etc.

My fresh install is ok but I had this with the early release of traffic but this time it was much more severe.

looks like some bugs need to be addressed.
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had exactly the same thing as you. Safety speed set to 0 and voice turned off etc... I never bothered writing it but I also had to do a hard reset the first time I installed traffic because my iPAQ 5550 just completely froze up. I'm touring europe this summer and I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling traffic for this, just in case it all crashes when I'm away from my computer.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a trip to France next month and was thinking of doing exactly the same - the thought of getting to Portsmouth and then losing all my mapping info would seriously dent my enjoyment of my trip.

Last year I drove approx 4000 miles around France and down to Spain (twice on holiday and once working) and didn't look at a paper map once - I hope ttn3 is as robust - think not at the moment.

I always have my laptop with me so could do a full install if required - don't think the missus would be too chuffed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have room on your storage card or a spare CF/SD card you can always perform a full backup to that. That way you don't need access to a laptop, in the event of a hard reset you can restore from the backup in a couple of minutes.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If you have room on your storage card or a spare CF/SD card you can always perform a full backup to that. That way you don't need access to a laptop, in the event of a hard reset you can restore from the backup in a couple of minutes.

You know what, that is a great idea that I had never thought off. A 128mb card is maybe £20 nowadays, and that should hold the whole thing. This could then be left in your glove box or something. Top idea Thumbs Up

Anyway, now to my questions about Traffic. This is obviously quite an old thread, mainly before Traffic was properly released. So, my questions -

1) What are peoples thoughts now? Are the updates more to Traffic-I's speeds?

2) As I have a BT car kit for my 6600, am gonna be knackered as for using the updates while out and about?

3) Can I get Traffic to update before I set of and then turn off the updates? Granted, I might not have the most accurate data, but if there are major roadworks on the M1 causing massive delays, Tomtom would likely know. Alternatively, I'm guessing I could just disconnect from the car kit and connect to the iPaq and then ask Traffic to get an update, it wouldn't be too much key pressing.

4) How do you get your free 3 months? Does it happen automatically when you sign up to Traffic? Do you have to enter your Tomtom 3 serial code somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Quick replies to your questions.

1) Yes it works, but I probably don’t use major trunk roads or motorways enough to warrant the expense. It has notified me of traffic problems but you’ll need to wait for the heavy users of TT Traffic to reply.

2) Yes most likely. I have a BT headset (HDW-2) for my Nokia 6210i and I can’t connect to the BT headset the same time as to the iPAQ with the phone. Also the 6210i will lose GPRS signal whilst using the phone. Obviously this is only when a passenger is using the phone! Thumbs Up

3) Yes you can down load the Traffic info once and run the whole journey with that information “as is”, although in reality if you can, it is best to update every 5 minutes or so. 8)

4) The free three months was only until 1 September 2004. However the TT website says “We will have a special offer where if you download before 1 September 2004 you will get the first three months free”. Read into that what you will. Confused

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what the hell, I'm gonna give it a go anyway. I'm downloading it now, it said I have a trial period (although it didn't mention how long yet) and I have read this on the same page as the download -

Quote:
If you have already installed the TomTom Traffic Plug-In (version 3.02T), we strongly recommend you install this version.

What's new or improved in TomTom Navigator Plug-In 3.04T

On some GPRS networks, TomTom Navigator could no longer connect to the TomTom Traffic Server after requesting traffic updates a specific number of times. This version solves this issue.
On some GPRS networks, TomTom Navigator would receive less traffic incidents than it received over other Internet connections. This version solves this issue.
Some GPRS networks would not always forward a traffic update to the TomTom Traffic Server, but instead would return old information. This version solves this issue.
When opening a second map after installing traffic, the navigator menu could become mixed up. This version solves this issue.
After installing the Traffic Plug-In, starting up TomTom Navigator 3 with certain maps, could take much longer than before installation. After Installing this version, the first time you start up TomTom Navigator 3, it will take as long a before. Starting up TomTom Navigator 3 after that will be faster.
The Plug-In 3.04T also includes the following improvements:
Faster searching of street names in Find Address.
New: When a GPS position is available and you have entered a destination, but you are not near a road, a route is planned from the nearest road to the destination..

Does this mean this is actually a patch to v3.04 of Tomtom...or just 3.04 of the Traffic plugin?

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.04T is the same version as 3.03 but with added traffic plug-in Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: