Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nolongerlost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated my 720 via Home.

When I plan a route, it asks me "When will you depart". If I hit "Specific date and time" it takes me to the next screen where you can select the date and month with arrow keys, but the default date is set to Thursday 1 January 1970!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how to set the time via Change Preferences...Set Clock, but how do I change this date to the current date?
Maps: Western_Europe v905.4754
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the device has a GPS position fix and the date/ time will be correct - Mike
Nolongerlost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the very quick reply Mike.

I'm indoors, planning a route, so of course there's no satellite fix to update the device.

Now...why didn't I think of that!!! Embarassed

Prime example of why these forums are a superb resource...
Maps: Western_Europe v905.4754
bazelk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I down grade my TT 730 GO to the 8.302 firmware.(I have a copy that is posted in this topic).
The one and only reason I want to do this is because of the volume issue.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This Thread, the second post should detail what to do - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I met Anita who has a 720 which she describes as OK for volume after the update to 8.350. We put my 920 and her 720 side by side on a table and compared the sound. Mine was louder with 8.302, softer with 8.350. Not quantifiable, I don't possess a decibelometer or whatever, I just heard them that way. Another non-scientific test the other day was speaking to Mikealder on handsfree (through the 700) and he was able to hear the difference on my 920 between 8.302 and 8.350.

I really do not know what the answer is. But all day today (over 350 miles) I ran with my 920 deliberately on 8.350 and the volume was so rubbish that I hardly ever heard any nav instructions or camera warnings (fear not, the GO700 alongside is beautifully audible and the HTC with Nav6 at the other side on 2D is great!). All I can say is that for my normal driving style, 14 months old van, no speeding, no fat exhaust pipe, over 50mph the volume is utterly useless. On a poor road surface, it's inaudible at any speed for getting from A to B. With 8.302, at 68mph with Radio 5 set nice and loud, the nav instructions and Liz Whitaker camera warnings are perfect.

I did give it a try with FM, playing a Classical favourite, Shostakovich Waltz No 2. Strangely, the nav instructions were fine, but Liz was less loud than the instructions. With 8.302 (on internal speaker), Liz is at least as loud as the instructions.

Whether 8.350 is great or brown, it doesn't do the business for me. I'll spend some time giving the various solutions another try, but if I can't get it right, it'll be back to 8.302 for me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Today, I met Anita who has a 720 which she describes as OK for volume after the update to 8.350. We put my 920 and her 720 side by side on a table and compared the sound. Mine was louder with 8.302, softer with 8.350. Not quantifiable, I don't possess a decibelometer or whatever, I just heard them that way.

Having tested my 720 further, I would say that the volume on 8.350 is about 10% lower than on 8.302. 100% volume on 8.302 is quite distorted, while on 8.350 it isn't. Reducing 8.302 to 90% is about the equivalent of 100% on 8.350, and both are too loud for me, even while playing quite loud music.
Samsung Galaxy S21
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this entire thread, has anybody discussed what version of computer voices are installed?

I have Susan (US) at 6.91 and Kate (UK) at 6.93 on my 720 with 8.350 and they both seem loud enough for me ....
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
In this entire thread, has anybody discussed what version of computer voices are installed?

According to Home I have "English (United Kingdom) v700 - Kate" and "This item cannot be used with the current version of the TomTom application on your device"!

However, it works perfectly and is plenty loud enough for me although, as I said above, the volume seems to be reduced by about 10% using v8.350.
Samsung Galaxy S21
ahod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having waded through all 23 pages, I thought I'd add my twopennorth. I have a 720. I didn't do any fiddling with it to try and fix the stuttering issue, so all it contains are the "official" updates and voice versions. Since installing 8.350 the instructions volume is really low, even at 100% I struggled to hear it on the motorway (and my car engine is not particularly loud), whereas before 70% was plenty loud enough.

Speed camera warning noise is as loud as ever.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I did give it a try with FM, playing a Classical favourite, Shostakovich Waltz No 2. Strangely, the nav instructions were fine, but Liz was less loud than the instructions. With 8.302 (on internal speaker), Liz is at least as loud as the instructions.

DennisN

I get the same affect on my 720 with 8.350. I listen through the line-out on my car radio. the LizW camera warnings are noticably quieter than the navigation instructions, which don't appear to have changed all that much from 8.302 as far as line-out is concerned. I was going to "normalise" the LizW sounds to see if that helped- but didn't get round to it last night. Need to do it tonight as we are going to Scotland for a long week-end's sailing and on Thursday it's a trip to see Eric Clapton at MEN.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 720 nearly every day in my line of work and have always found it to be a brilliant piece of kit. I consider myself fortunate as I have never suffered the stuttering Kate voice, no delays in getting a GPS fix or any of the other annoying symptoms that some uses encounter.

When a new update comes available I always watch this forum and see what the opinions of other members are before I consider downloading from Tomtom.
Anyway, last evening I made my ‘Backup’ and then downloaded the new navcore. I must admit that my hearing is not perfect and the possibility of reduced volume as reported by some users gave me cause for concern.
However, the result? It downloaded and installed in two or three minutes and it runs just fine. No major improvements but no adverse effects either. It is so puzzling when one reads different users experiences over this matter.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the latest App from TT and it went on OK.
However, i now have the low voice problem which would seem to be a major bug with this download.
Does anyway know if TT are going to issue a fix for the bug and if so when.
I would guess that the only way to try and fix the current problem would be to reinstall a backup for your TT system.

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith

Be sure to log a call with TomTom. It's only if people complain and let them know the problems that they are likely to do much about it. Depending on how serious this is deemed to be would dictate when and if a new version is released to fix it.

Haven't used the new version at speed yet so not too sure how bad it is on mine.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I am not sure about the markers, if I am at home, the distance to GPS marker and the distance to Home marker can show very different figures when I would have expected them to be the same.

This is what I said previously about it seeming to be measured from somewhere on the marker itself.

You can see the effect by dragging your home location just off the screen at different zoom levels.
Because two markers cannot be in exactly the same place, the distances shown *will* be different at close distances and you can see the distances (and arrow directions) change as you move the map around and the markers "jostle for position", but the further away you drag the map, the less the difference will be.

Also, the differences in distance will depend on the zoom level of the map (because of the "apparent" size of the markers while sitting on the map at different scales)

But a picture is worth a thousand words...

So it is trying to tell the truth! Very Happy
(and I don't think we should take them too seriously anyway! All they are meant for is when you lose your bearings having dragged and zoomed the map around too much).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 24 of 39

Jump to: