Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good time to buy Active 10?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good time to buy Active 10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Good time to buy Active 10? Reply with quote

I think I already know the answer here but wondered anyway.

I'm looking at buying an Active 10 after Xmas, hopefully in the sales and I just wondered if anyone has anyone inkling of any sort of hardware revision/new model on the horizon?

I haven't read a word of it and have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks but thought I'd check before I spend a large amount of money that I'm not buying something that will be usurped/improved on the next week.

Cheers
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can tell by the website, where the latest news is the announcement of V1.16, Satmap are not very interested in keeping their customers informed. Surprising really, as being a small innovative company, you would think they really wanted to establish a good reputation in the marketplace. It's the same as all the empty promises about the route planner; I can understand that there may be delays, but having announced that it would be ready in november, you would think they would let their loyal customers know what the current situation is.
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in Outdoor World in Warrington the other day and noticed they were in the sale there, priced at £251.95. Not a bad price, that.
Here's the link http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=satmap
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activator wrote:
Was in Outdoor World in Warrington the other day and noticed they were in the sale there, priced at £251.95. Not a bad price, that.

And if you had walked about 200 metres down the road (away from Warrington) you would have had a chance to spot the infamous PGPSW car sticker in my car! I work around there.
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bit of a tangent from my original question but looks like there is no sign of any sort of Active 20 to usurp my purchase!

I've seen the Active 10 is in the sale at Amazon and that is now matching the price (To within £2-3) it's been at a few outdoor websites for a while. Don't think I'm going to get one for cheaper than that so about to make the jump and order it from Amazon.

Now for maps - I'm looking at the whole UK 50k one and have heard of Satmap doing sales themselves before. Can anyone say what sort of discounts Satmap have done previously? No guarantee they will do it again as a January sale but there has to be a chance surely?!
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the flurry of activity around the new Update and the fact it seems the Route Planner may (may!) be close I've gone for it.

Thanks to this forum for the 20% off voucher for Coltswold Outdoors as that saved me £10. I went with Navanti for whole of GB mapping and the power pack.

I shall no doubt be bothering you good people over the next few weeks as I get to grips with it. Hopefully many gripes I have read about will be gone due to the last couple of updates seemingly fixing them...

I shall see!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll not be disappointed, if you've seen the screen shots of Garmin's OS mapping on the Oregon you'll be delighted at the quality of the display and mapping on the A10 in comparison.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post so hi to all.

I've just received my Satmap unit, having trawled various forums for an answer to my navigational aspirations. Many thanks to the users of this Forum for a very informative pre-purchase research experience. I have to say I don't think I'd've bought without you as the dealers I went to see (Blacks and Cotswold) knew next to nothing about the unit. I've had a couple of minor glitches, but so far I've found the answers here too, and they may have disappeared since updating to v1.3.

On the subject of this thread I bought from Foot-Steps Direct. They were fantastic, answering all my e-mails promptly, and keeping me in touch with the delivery.

Their prices are among the cheapest that I'd seen with 20% off for Jan, although postage seemed expensive at £13 so I e-mailed them before placing my order:

"Hi, I'm interested in the Satmap Active 10 and National Parks Map (1:50k), but will eventually need the power bundle, bike mount and whole of GB map (1:50k). Can you offer me a discount if I buy Satmap + Power Bundle, GB Complete Map (1:50k), and Bike Mount all in one go?"

This was there reply:

"Many thanks for your enquiry.
Could we suggest that you purchase the Satmap bundle (including free Carry case and Power pack), together with the full UK Map and Bike Mount? The Carry case is free as part of the promotion.
The total price for this bundle is £458.70, including shipping
"

So knocking a further £40+ off. That swung the deal for me. They sent me a promotional code to get that, but I haven't permission to pass it on, so out of politeness to the company you should just try this for yourself. BTW I sent a similar e-mail to equally competetive companies, but they replied saying the prices were as low as they could go.

Just thought it might help someone in return for all the help you've given me.

Here is the link.
MarchHare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Looking for a Satmap bundle ? Reply with quote

If you are looking for a Satmap bundle may i also suggest 'navanti.co.uk. The basic unit is not the cheapest around at £259.99 but with that you can purchase power pack, screen covers, carry case and bike mount all at a reduction of 40% and a 1:50000 map with a 35% reduction well worth a look, i was pleased with it and you get a good service. Hope this helps some one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: