Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost snail trail when leaving UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost snail trail when leaving UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexWatford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Lost snail trail when leaving UK Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a Satmap for Christmas after doing a lot of research as to what I wanted for a combination of cycling and walking. I've lurked on this forum for a while and the tips and advice on here has been excellent in helping me make my choice, so thanks.

I'm really happy with the Satmap. I have however had a bit of a glitch which I found when I was trying to log flights over New Year. I flew to Amsterdam and back and got good satellite lock, but halfway over the North Sea the snail trail went haywire, shooting off about 4000 miles North away from the blue GPS location marker. I assume this was something to do with it being the end of where the UK maps were, but it seemed odd that it happened. Having downloaded the gpx file of the flight it seems that the Satmap recorded my route accurately (looks really cool in Google Earth!), but it was just the actual unit that couldn't handle it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known issue that might be fixed in future software updates? Any idea why it might have happenened?

Cheers
Alex
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I have no idea why this happened,perhaps a phone call/e-mail to SatMap may provide an answer.

I would imagine that their reply would be something along the lines of that this is a UK unit designed for cycling and walking in the UK on the ground and what occurs during a flight is neither here nor there.

It may have been the aircrafts avionics that caused it,perhaps when it occurred the pilot had just switched something on.I can't see it being fixed in a software update whilst there are one or two other things that need attention.

Ian
lightshipman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be because you were on a plane and the RX got shielded from the Satellites, you would only have had a little window for it to see out of.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: