Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SentrySoft releases new version of GPS Sentry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SentrySoft releases new version of GPS Sentry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieCassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: SentrySoft releases new version of GPS Sentry Reply with quote

SentrySoft today released the latest version of GPS Sentry, a GPS monitoring Today screen plug-in for Pocket PC 2002 and later PDAs. GPS Sentry provides users of NMEA capable GPS units a compact way of keeping an eye on their GPS from the Today screen.

To get more information on GPS Sentry or to download a 15-day full function trial, visit http://www.sentry-soft.com
CharlieCassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SentrySoft is pleased to announce that GPS Sentry V1.3 is available for immediate download. Version 1.3 has the following changes:

• Added display of position in UTM and USNG/MGRS coordinates.
  • Added automatic display rotation. This feature is enabled and the time interval set in the Configure Screens dialog.
  • Fixed bug in calculation of HDDD format.
  • GPS is now disabled after Serial Port open failure. This will stop the recurring error dialog after the first time.
  • Logging is now disabled after open failure. This will stop the recurring error dialog after the first time.

The new version of GPS Sentry can be downloaded from http://sentry-soft.com/GPSSentry.exe. As in previous versions, this file is a fully functional evaluation copy which can be evaluated for 15 days.

To upgrade a previous version of GPS Sentry to V1.3, simply run GPSSentry.exe then soft reset your Pocket PC. You should not need to reenter your registration code.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

Can GPS Sentry display the position format of “British Grid”, i.e. Ordnance Survey of Great Britain?

For details on the Ordnance Survey format please see:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk
http://www.gps.gov.uk/

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
CharlieCassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SentrySoft is pleased to announce that GPS Sentry V1.6 is available for immediate download. Version 1.6 has the following changes:

V1.5

. Time is not gathered from 3 different NMEA sentences rather than just the $GPGLL sentence. Some users with GPSs that did not output the $GPGLL were not displaying the fix time.
    . Added a visual indicator of GPS Disabled and No Fix available. Clear display when GPS is Disabled.
    . Fixed bug in calculation of position in GML log format (same bug as HDDD fixed in V1.3)
    . Added Copy Location to Clipboard function. Copies location and time in current display format to clipboard.
    . Fixed help file issues.

V1.6

. Extensive changes to Options Dialog. Now it is implemented as a Tabbed Property Sheet with tabs for GPS/Display, Screens, Log, Registration and About.
    . Added option to disable GPS if no input seen. Time delay is set on GPS/Display tab.
    . Added drop down to set GPS Baud rate. Navman 3450 needs 57600, others should be set to the NMEA standard of 4800. In any case, setting must match GPS.
    . Added option to log position periodically, instead of every NMEA sentence. Option is set on Log tab.
    . General refactoring of code and code cleanup.

The new version of GPS Sentry can be downloaded from http://sentry-soft.com/GPSSentry.exe. As in previous versions, this file is a fully functional evaluation copy which can be evaluated for 15 days.

To upgrade a previous version of GPS Sentry to V1.6, simply run GPSSentry.exe then soft reset your Pocket PC. You should not need to reenter your registration code.
CharlieCassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
Sorry this took so long. I generally don't get here often.

I'll take a look at adding the British Grid. Shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,
Charlie
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for looking into adding the British Grid.

I guess that GPS Sentry uses the WGS84 Map Datum. Unfortunately Ordnance Survey (OS) paper maps use a different one called OSGB36. The full description I’ve taken from an OS paper map is: Base map constructed on Transverse Mercator Projection, Airy Spheroid, OSGB (1936) Datum Vertical datum mean sea level (Newlyn).

Would it be possible to add a user switchable function in the settings of GPS Sentry to add (or remove) a “shift” on the co-ordinates to allow for OSGB36 when using OS paper maps and thus keeping maximum accuracy in transferring your indicated physical position to the map and vice versa?

Also when using a GPS unit you will get a 10-digit reading (not including the 2 letter 100,000 metre grid square identification) and a theoretical accuracy of 1 metre. However when using a paper map, the best you can hope for is an 8-digit reading with a theoretical accuracy of 10 metres. If you’re using a smaller scale map then you might only have a 6-digit reading with a theoretical accuracy of 100 metres. The following are all the same location but different accuracy:

ST 12345 67890 (10-digit, down to 1 metre)
ST 1234 6789 (8-digit, down to 10 metres)
ST 123 678 (6-digit, down to 100 metres)

Could you also provide a user option of 6-digit, 8-digit, or 10-digit display of the OSGB format?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
CharlieCassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've got to compute the OSGB36 anyway to give an accurate British Grid reading, it will be easy to have the option of displaying the L/L using the OSGB36 datum.

Ditto on the accuracy issue. The only reason I didn't do that when I implemented the UTM/MGRS display was I was running out of space in the options dialog. I needed to implement property pages there first. Now that I've done that (V1.6) adding more options like this is a lot easier.

- Charlie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: