Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with memory map on Ipaq rx5720 and toughbook CF 27
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with memory map on Ipaq rx5720 and toughbook CF 27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: help with memory map on Ipaq rx5720 and toughbook CF 27 Reply with quote

I have an HP Ipaq rx5720 which i run memory map v5 on, i would also like to run it on an old Panasonic toughbook CF-27.
The CF-27 tells me it requires windows XP to run the programme and i have been told that CF-27 isn't capable of running XP Confused
Is there a way around this Question or could i use the CF-27 purely as a monitor screen to show what's running on the ipaq Question All i'm really after is a bigger screen for the memory map.

Any help is appreciated Wink
BTW i'm a complete numpty when it comes to computer stuff Embarassed , so please put any advice into easy terms for me Laughing
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Presumably the toughbook is running Wndows 98SE. You should be able to install and run Memory Map 2004 (v4.4.3) on that. v4.4.3 should still be available for free upgrade (or downgrade in your case) from the Memory map website. But it might be tricky to find now that their technical forum is deceased. Post again if you can't find it.

Your v5 license key (at least up to v5.1.3) should work with MM2004 and the maps are backwards compatible, except that they may need to be "cut" to ~400MBytes (in the same way as for PDAs). Note that Memory Map .MMO (overlay) files are not backwards compatible with 2004, so you need to export/import in .CSV format.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, yes the toughbook is running 98se and the good news is that i have a MMv4 disc, i never thought the maps would be compatible.

i'll give it a go, thanks Wink
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've got V4 loaded on, that's more than half the battle. i'll have a go at updating the maps a little later. Very Happy

Thanks lots Wink
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I succesfully put on v4 memory map.

I then tried to put an extra map on and the thing threw a wobbly Confused
it now won't boot up windows and shows an error message, Save to Disk file not found
Save to Disk feature is disabled.

Can someone help please Exclamation
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, but I'm not running MM2004/Win98SE/v5 maps on my own PC now. However, I can now confirm that the above combination works fine on an apparently lesser PC (166MHz Pentium1) than the toughbook, although with a larger Hard Drive.

The fault that you describe sounds more like a Win98 or even BIOS file handling issue - did you have plenty of free space on the HDD (and defragged it recently) ? I don't have any experience with the toughbook, but most versions of Windows seem to get rather flaky with less than perhaps 20% HDD space remaining.

The map files supplied with MM2004 were about 300MBytes each, which is as large as I find open satisfactorily on PPCs, so is the size that I cut the GB map, and have used in MM2004. I don't have any of the MM v5 regional products, and (not surprisingly) the whole 3GByte+ v5 GB map doesn't open in 2004/Win98. As I hinted before, a v5 .MMO (overlay) file can crash MM2004.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply Alan,

I believe you're right about it being a windows problem, hopefully a guy from work is going to re-boot it for me Very Happy i'm handing the laptop over to him tomorrow so fingers crossed.

cheers.
redneckWCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has taken a long time to get the toughbook working but someone put it right for me, apparently there was a hard drive error Confused but all fixed and working with gps/memory map now and running windows 2000 Very Happy

I have one small problem, the screen continually turns itself off after approximately 5 mins. I've set the power save options through the control panel to never switch off but despite this it still goes blank Confused

any ideas for a fix please Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: