Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Carcomm x20/x30 Cradle - New Design Released with USB TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Carcomm x20/x30 Cradle - New Design Released with USB TMC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Carcomm x20/x30 Cradle - New Design Released with USB TMC Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWe've been using and reviewing Carcomm cradles for some years now and have always found them to be great solutions. I reviewed Carcomm's TomTom x20 cradle in December of last year and it has been my de-facto cradle of choice in-car ever since.

Not only does it give you an OEM type cradle that would not look out of place in any car but it provided suuport for the TMC antenna with a pig tail lead that allowed for a much tidier install.

Now Carcomm have gone one step further with a new revised design that loses a lot of the bulk of the original model and even better, they have added support for TomTom's HD Traffic accessory AND the new revised RDS-TMC antenna which connects via mini-USB as well as retaining support for the current antenna design.

Click here to read more...
MalcolmLLoyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed one of these in my car (for 920T) and I think it's brilliant. It's so easy to insert/remove the TT. In my opinion it's far superior to the Brodit alternative I previously had, which I found a pain inserting/removing the TT.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nice aren't they? I've been using the MkI cradle ever since I received it and this one improves on bulk of the original and adds the additional connectivity.

At under £50 it's also pretty good value considering it comes boxed with a gooseneck mount as well.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmLLoyd wrote:
I've just installed one of these in my car (for 920T) and I think it's brilliant. It's so easy to insert/remove the TT. In my opinion it's far superior to the Brodit alternative I previously had, which I found a pain inserting/removing the TT.

Agree, this looks good, I've been using Brodit for many years but recently their aftersales hasn't been that good, I've raised two questions regarding TMC & HD traffic connectivity and they basically wanted me to buy brand new units instead of buying spare parts.

I think I'll be investing in one of these myself, I couldn't see any mention of UK resellers, and CarComm do not appear to have an online ordering service.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalPDA are the UK reseller, although I can't see it listed as yet I understand they do stock it.
MalcolmLLoyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from TotalPDA.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Carcomm/Carcomm-CNM-167-Navigation-Cradle-TomTom-GO-x20-%25252F-x30-Series.7400.html

Its out of stock right now should be back in next week.
KiwiBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carcomm x20/x30 Cradle - New Design Released with USB TM Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Now Carcomm have gone one step further with a new revised design that loses a lot of the bulk of the original model and even better, they have added support for TomTom's HD Traffic accessory AND the new revised RDS-TMC antenna which connects via mini-USB as well as retaining support for the current antenna design.

Hi Darren,
I'm intrigued by your reference to a new TMC antenna from TomTom which uses a mini-USB connector. I recently bought the GO 930T, and it came with the 4V00.013 antenna, which uses the round, 2.5mm plug. I didn't know TomTom had a newer TMC antenna that uses mini-USB. Do you know if the actual antenna itself is newer/better/different in any way, or is it really the exact same antenna as 4V00.013 apart from the plug? (ie. same chipset or receiver or internal components etc).

I'm planning on getting one of these Carcomm cradles, so I'm wondering if the new, min-USB antenna is actually somehow better (eg. more sensitive to a signal), maybe I should buy one of those to use with my Carcomm cradle instead of using the antenna that came with my GO.

Cheers,
Jeremy
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Brodit and it is rather fiddly with the way the cables are permanently attached. Am I right, though, that the Carcomm is only for the windscreen or screwed to the dashboard. I do like that the Brodit allows me to attach it to a vent above the radio.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are vent clips available for the carcomm units as well.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the blurb 'The holder is delivered with a Click-On adaptor. The adaptor makes it possible to completely remove the holder and place it out of sight.' I'd be very interested to see this in action
MalcolmLLoyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
I've been using the Brodit and it is rather fiddly with the way the cables are permanently attached. Am I right, though, that the Carcomm is only for the windscreen or screwed to the dashboard. I do like that the Brodit allows me to attach it to a vent above the radio.

I've attached my CarComm to the Brodit clip I previously had.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! It looks, though, that you cannot attach a line out cable to the Carcomm to connect to the aux in on the car stereo. There is a new version, apparently due out next month, where it will have a connector. Looks like I will have to wait for that one.
dragon01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Carcomm Cradle with Sound Connection Model 168 Reply with quote

Following the release of the New Carcomm Cradle model 167 members may be interested to know there will be a newer model out very soon which will have three connections making it possible for the sound to be connected by a direct cable to the sound output. I had this information confirmed a few weeks back by an email from Carcomm. This model will be known as the 168. I understand from Total PDA that the price of this unit will be the same as the 167. Details of both units are on the Carcomm web site. www.carcomm.nl

Edited by Tim to correct URL, which was suffixed .com instead of .nl
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted a CNM168 and so far very pleased.

One thing though: other posters noted that it was easy to remove the TomTom from the cradle. I must be missing something here as I have to grab the top of the unit and squeeze/drag the thing out. Am I missing something obvious? Rolling Eyes - what is the required removal technique?
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: