Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to Modify Garmin VPM TTS Voice file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Modify Garmin VPM TTS Voice file
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new version for TTSVoiceEditor v2.30. It should support VPM files for Nuvi models like 255W. You can post here your model number if it works to let others know. I have no 255W, so I cannot test it, but I used the same principles as for my 760. The buffer I use is somewhat smaller than the one available on the 760. I displayed the number of characters left in the buffer. The proggy won't let you modify a word if there is not enough characters left.

Edit: link removed. See further in thread for final link.

A big thanks to Tabs for his contribution to this release.

This is a beta for the 255W. If there is any problem, just put back the original file and let me know what happened.

Last edited by turboccc on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's version 2.31.

I corrected an issue with Dansk__Nanna.vpm.

I improved also my buffer allocation to re-use some unused locations when possible. It should make the buffer last longer.

edit: link removed. See post further in thread for final version.

Last edited by turboccc on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
sejtam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboccc wrote:
Here's version 2.31.
http://rapidshare.com/files/131247850/TTSVoiceEditor_v231.zip.html

Thanks for that tool.

I found that the TTS voice files do have a kind of dictionary built in too, to translate eg 'Lk' to 'Lake'.

Now, where I live they use 'Lk' for 'Link' and 'Wk' for 'Walk' instead of 'Week'.
So I would like to edit that dictionary too. For the two terms above a simple hexeditor will do as they are all 4 characters, but it would be nice if the TTS tool could allow one to edit the dictionary to use longer words in the replacement also.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest link with all my other tools. Get the latest version here:

latest download link
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Turbo's utilities deserve a sticky!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek wrote:
I think Turbo's utilities deserve a sticky!

done (although i thought i'd already made it sticky!!)

MaFt
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: update to v2.50 Reply with quote

Added Import/Export from/to text files. This can be used to share what you have done with friends. Doing an export/import to an original VPM can also be used to clean up some of the buffer if you made a lot of edits.

Use link from my signature.

NOTE: if you want to share your phrases in the forum, please do not post the entire file. Partial file with only the relevant strings are ok. You just need to keep the first 3 lines. I use them to make sure nobody will import from a wrong voice file. Here's an example below.

Code:
'DO NOT ALTER THE NEXT 2 LINES.
Voice Name: Jill
VPM Type: Nuvi 7x0/3x0 TTS
Voice Rate: 45
Voice Volume: 65
Screen Name: American English-Jill (TTS)

27-You are driving in the wrong direction. Make a u-turn ASAP.
68-We are lost, again!
70-Lost satellite reception. GPS are for outside usage!

Have fun. Careful if you tamper with the text files manually. Use Notepad or Wordpad to avoir screwing up with the funny characters. Otherwise, remove the problematic lines manually.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added support for model 350. in v2.51. Download link in my signature.
d_denny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: new on here with a nuvi 205W Reply with quote

Hello all! have recently purchased the 205W which i assume is the same as the 255 for downloading the voice link, but can i simply download this direct into the nuvi and open it in the nuvi ?I am worried about voiding the guarentee? but thanks, as street name feature(voice editor) is definately more user friendly!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This loads and runs from your computer, not on the nuvi. Just look at the read.me
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support for StreetPilot C310/C510 added in v2.60. Link in signature below.

Please post feedback and specify your model number. Thanks.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one turboccc Cheers!

At last I've been able to get rid of the annoying use of the word "ramp" and replace it with "slip road" in the English voice(s). Sounds much nicer!

Just a suggestion for something else. I copied the "Emily" voice from my 660 to my PC, took a backup and changed a few things. Then I copied it back to the 660. When I went to check the voice I was using on the nuvi I had two Emily voices to choose from. Inspection of the nuvi revealed that I still had the original Emily voice and a "Copy of.... " version as well. It would appear that the nuvi picks up the .vpm extension and uses an internal location in the file to derive the voice name. Could this be changed? I.e. Is it possible to alter the voice name within the file?
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh,

You are right. The Nuvi looks at the file extension. If you want to keep a copy of the original on the nuvi, use an different extension like ".vpm_". That will do the trick and you will not have twice the same name.

In one of the latest version of TTSVoiceEditor, I added the possibility of changing the "Screen Name". This means you can rename the modified VPM to a different name and it will not show up as the same name in the voice selection menu. PROBLEM: for some reasons, you cannot select the new voice name although it shows in the selection. It will select either the original file or the first file it sees (in facts, not quite sure how it selects it).

I have not investigate much more in that area for now. It may have something to do with the fact that each voice has a part number and we are using the same for both (unmodified and modified). There is also a link elsewhere between the voice name (Julie, Jill, Emily, ...) and their respective part number. Someday, I will try to use a partnumber and voice name from a less popular voice and see how it goes.

In conclusion, fow now, I have idea how to keep the original and modified voice avvessible in the voice menu. You have to rename the original voice and use the original file name for the modified voice.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Bump! Reply with quote

Wow! That last post is old.

Anybody is using TTSVoiceEditor to increase the GPS sound volume or modify the TTS promtps? If not, you should have a look at the link in my signature. Lots of fine tools to improve your GPS voices.

I have something else that is new, but I'll start a different thread.

Turbo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: