Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie with a 2210 - advice for set up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with a 2210 - advice for set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Newbie with a 2210 - advice for set up Reply with quote

Hi all

Discovered this site when i'm searching for information on PDAs and after many late night reading, i have gone for the Ipaq 2210. Bought form whatadeal which i must say have the best price and good customer service.

Anyway, being a complete newbie to PDA in general, i would like some advice in couple of things (for now)

1. Install outlook 2002 and managed to get my hotmails on outlook. However, when i use activesync with the PDA, no emails shows up on the PDA. Have i missed anything??

2. Upload MP3s to PDA and is working fine. However, window media does not recognise Vid clips format such as AVI files. I can watch these clips using window media on my laptop. Advice please?

3. How do I set up my PDA so i can surf the net from there?

Also, what can I do with my PDA, i want to explore its potential :D

thanks in advance
andy
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to the forums.

1) I assume you want to transfer your e-mails to the PPC?
If so you need to set the options on the Active Sync on the desktop PC to synchronise with your inbox, then it will transfer your mail form the desktop PC to the PPC and vice-versa.

2) Not 100% sure on this but you may have to convert the avi files to the PPC format to play them. Usually transferring files via Active Sync converts them. I dont have access to Windows media Player on the desktop at the moment to check but if you read the help files it may explain there.

3) If the PPC is Active Synched to the desktop PC and you have an internet connection open on it then you should be able to surf the net from the PPC once you have Internet Explorer on the PPC running.

As for what else it can do... well more or less anything with the right software.
You can even use it as a remote control for all your TVs DVDs VCRs and any other gadgets ! :D
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply icsys

i've done that sync with ppc but it doesnt pick up the emails.

andy
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By bringing up Active Sync on the desktop and then selecting 'Options' Click on the tab 'Sync Options' you should then get a list of applications which you can tick... Ie Calendar, Contacts, Tasks,Favorites, Inbox, etc...
By ticking these, and clicking OK Active Sync should then look for changes on each device and synchronise the PPC to the desktop PC.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are your Hotmail emails within Ouutlook? ActiveSync is only able to synchronise mail contained in your personal mailstore profile, I seem to recall that as Hotmail is a web service, using Outlook to retrieve them means they are not stored in the same profile and so won't be synchronised.

WMPlayer on the PPC will only play .wmv files, you can use Windows Media Encoder (a free download from MS) to convert them or better still convert them to .mpeg and use the excellent PocketTV app available from http://www.pockettv.com/.

How do you plan to connect to the Internet on your PPC? If you wish to do this using your home connection whilst it is docked in its cradle then in ActiveSync, GoTo, Tools | Options, Rules and ensure that Pass Thru is configured to use 'The Internet', you can then browse the web on your PocketPC, use it's Messenger client, configure email retrieval etc.

If you have a BT cellphone with GPRS data service you can connect via this (additional costs apply, check with your SP) or insert a WLAN CF Card and connect via wireless wherever a Public AP exists.
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice gents, i will give it a try.

Much appreciated.
andy
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Hotmail is currently stored in hotmail profile, how do i put them in outlook personal profile.

andy
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can - not in any way that will work with ActiveSync.

I've no experience of it, but I think Pocket Hotmail is the product you need.

David
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Download Pocket hotmail to the PDA and it doesnt recognise the application. It wont open.

please help
andy
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this particular program, but is the installer a .exe file? If so, it's near certain that you run it on your Windows machine with your Pocket PC connected to ActiveSync, and it installs through ActiveSync.

David
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The [size=34]big [/size]problem of course is the manual.

Most of these issues can be searched on the manual - there is one with your PPC but it is in electronic format hidden on the Activesync CD (well, usually if you know what I mean)

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader on your desktop in order to open the electronic manual.

Last time I looked, there were 2 versions of the manual - nowt like keeping it simple?

There you are m8 - a manual covering most (if not all) of the things you seek guidance on is available but it is (usually) on CD

Hard reset - soft reset - bluetooth - syncing (sync'ing? sinking?) - text entry... are all covered.

One bit I overlooked - Notes. You can record audio notes just like on a digital recorded using the PDA mike - it is a rather lovely if not egocentric feature but it does work wonders when u need to use it

I hope this helps

I have a PDA - bought from Global Positioning Systems. I don't know how I got by without it, 2210 too. Great kit, shame about the manual tho' but if we want lo-prices I suppose summat has to give

BTW some great mini-pc's on the go at R&D level. Not much bigger than a PDA - acts as a PDA running full versions of Windows XP, slot it into one arrangement and the PDA becomes a laptop, slot it into another arrangement and the PDA becomes a desktop. Fits in a pocket too

can't w8 meself

Bcube
andy888
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
Thumbs Up
andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: