Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TfL to test GPS enforced speed limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TfL to test GPS enforced speed limits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikevaleriani wrote:
I'll be just very glad those people will not be physically able to go over the speed limit. Very Happy

but is GPS the best method to achieve this? i'm sure they could build sensors at entry/exit points of roads that the car detects and thus has it's limit forcibly reduced. these could be installed near accident blackspots and school zones during school hours - it would achieve the same without the risk of poor (or faked) GPS signals.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still extremely concerned about this idea.

As has been mentioned, you start an overtaking manoever and the car your overtaking speeds up at the end of the exercise.

You have nowhere to go, you can't speed up if you are on the limit so you are forced to brake.

If the car behind has closed the gap you still have nowhere to go.

Also, as we all know about technology, you are going to have a situation where a car is held at 20mph on a 60mph road because there has been a failure of some sort.

I reckon it won't happen.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post which refers to the Gizmodo site -

Quote:
...........new sat-nav technology is being tested that will tell drivers to slow down if they are going too fast.

Although not by HUD as shown in the picture i have already got this covered by the Drive Smart unit, where ever a camera 'POI' is listed it will speak to me, tell me that i'm going too fast, remind me of the max' speed and to slow down - when ever i exceed that camera's set speed limit. Under the limit it will inform me of the speed limit for that area.

The DS will also display a (+) reading showing how much mph over, or (-) mph under the designated limit reading for that area as a standard display. It will also show me a 'countdown' per 100yds (metric if set) to the camera position, this could easily be changed to the speed limit position if i was to input it.

This could be easily extended to cover the entire road system if MaFt spent the time to input the info into the next database update. Laughing Wink

OK, this isn't a Sat Nav with maps, but it is a GPS, a ready made unit that has been for sale for several years and covers the first two out of four parts of ISA - Informing and open warning.
This is a standard 'off the shelf' unit, no tweaking as on Sat Nav's and 90% of it is verbal, so i have no need to keep glancing at the screen.

There was also info published by SWOV (Dutch - Institute for Road Safety Research) which is more general fact sheet than the Tilburg trial by the AVV.

Quote:
Adaptive cruise control (ACC) systems are being developed which combine radar- or laser-based sensors that scan the road ahead with throttle and brake actuators, to maintain a safe, preset minimum distance between cars in the same lane

Mercedes Benz have I believe already installed this in a top end model.
Or was that a concept car?

I also believe that Mercedes are working on a true ISA trial car in tests, for a future saleable model, but I can't find any info' on it yet.

I would have thought that to get ISA working in full, numerous vehicles would have to work together so 'they understood each other'!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember something about the Mercedes test/ concept demonstrator, didn't it crash while being filmed by one of the motoring programs such as Top Gear? - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I seem to remember something about the Mercedes test/ concept demonstrator, didn't it crash while being filmed by one of the motoring programs such as Top Gear? - Mike

I can't find much on the Mercedes, although the model with ACC is the Mercedes-Benz S-class, but the new Honda Accord 2.4-litre Executive automatic has ACC & LKAS -

Quote:
Every Honda Accord has six airbags and anti-lock brakes while the Executive and Type-S models get traction control. It also has Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). The LKAS system applies steering torque to ensure the Accord remains safely in the centre of a road lane. A tiny camera positioned near the rear-view mirror monitors the road markings and steers the car if it drifts toward the edge of a lane, thereby reducing the burden of motorway (or main road) driving and enhancing driver comfort and safety. ACC uses a radar to measure the distance to the vehicle ahead and maintains a set speed.

As far as I can see, the other cars using ACC at present are BMW 3 series, Lexus IS IS 250 SE-L, Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.5 and Jaguar - XJ8 3.5 SE.

How the Honda’s Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) works on the Honda Accord (ADAS is both the ACC & LKAS together).
All Honda cars will be equipped with ADAS by 2016.

How the ACC works on the BMW. (From a US site, but same in Europe)

To quote a road test on the Ford -

Quote:
Pull out into the next lane and it hauls you back up to your original speed. It's not a new trick, but it's indicative of all that's great about the new Mondeo that it pulls it off with such aplomb.

Because, in a week of solid driving, the ACC didn't get it wrong once, sensing lane changes with almost spooky prescience and even thumping on the brakes with impressive force when needed.

Ford says the ACC will only stop with a third the force of a human emergency stop - a fact I discovered with mild alarm some considerable time after my legs-free journey. But it was good enough to get me from deepest Cornwall to well inside the M25 without touching the brake or accelerator, changing speed on the steering wheel-mounted buttons.

The next step -

It wouldn't take a lot to add GPS to inform the car computer to all the road speed limits available, to eliminate the existing manual work on the steering wheel controls, regarding changing the speed information.
Also the car would need to be auto gearbox, to cope with it's own required gear changes.

At present the car in-built GPS systems are not upgradeable, so that would have to change to keep up with speed limit changes.
Although it sounds a massive task any Company (PGPSW?) who was to build such a database and keep it updated, would be in great demand from all the Sat Nav companies.

Any database wouldn't require mapping as Lat/Long and direction is all that is required.
I would have also thought that this would have to be one heavily updated universal database as i can't see it working with lots of different systems.

I wonder who you blame if the speed info' input is wrong though?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: GPS system used to slow speeding cars Reply with quote

From theage.com.au:

"Car systems that tell drivers of speed limits and reduce vehicle speed if they fail to slow down are to be trialled in three states.

The NSW Centre for Road Safety will install 100 cars with GPS devices that will notify drivers of the speed limit and warn them when they are going to fast."

theage.com.au
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that in an emergency or if they need to accelerate, they can override the system, but I would have thought that this would need some pretty quick thinking to be able to act that quick!

But it is another step to cars being regulated by others, rather than the driver, so it will be interesting to watch.

Interestingly, this is now the route several Countries seem to be going!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: