Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Warning Sound Volume
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Warning Sound Volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: POI Warning Sound Volume Reply with quote

Is there any way to increase the volume on the POI warnings on a TTG 520?

Failing that, can anyone recommend where I can download some high pitch/volume sounds.

I find that although I can hear directions quite well above road noise and radio, I sometimes can't hear the speed cam warnings.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Liz version 2 with loud siren from here?
Edited to add: Assuming you're using the speed camera database from here and not the TomTom one!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Spiggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I was really looking for just the sound without the voice, but it might be OK. With the amount of cameras inour area the voice message might nt get a chance to finish Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volume is set as high as possible for all the file sets, obviously some voices will "cut through" a bit better than others, so try some alternatives.

I find they are just loud enough to compare with a "normal" navigation voice" but TT have done something sneaky to get the "text to speech" navigation voices louder (but horribly distorted to my ears), so if you set the volume OK for those, any alert sound is a bit quieter still.

I have been badgering TomTom about the volume inconsistencies for ages and it is getting much worse now that we have hands free, extra mp3 players, FM transmission, TTS voices etc.

Basically there is only the one "overall" level control (except for a "hidden" one for incoming hands-free calls incoming level). This REALLY needs to change...

What I'd like to see is a simple "volumes" page (like you get on PC sound cards) with separate sliders for
Navigation Voice, Sound Effects+Warnings, Hands-Free calls, mp3 player/audio books.
The normal volume control would then adjust ONLY the volume of the internal speaker.

If you agree, I'd really appreciate it if you *and anyone else*, could complain to TomTom about it. It's the only way that anything gets done.

So far, all TT have done as a quick fix for the poor FM transmission quality, is to completely disable the volume control on the mp3 player, so whatever it LOOKS like it's doing, the volume is actually fixed at 100% Mad
Spiggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the 'hidden' one for hands free please
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiggy, it's not really hidden, but you might not realise its there.

When you are actually in a call, the normal-looking volume slider is actually only controlling the incoming call volume.
But if you were hoping to increase it, I'm afraid it is usually on 100% already!

Also, I've just looked back over your previous post, and saw you were after JUST a sound for your camera alerts.
If that's the case, have a listen to some of the preview demo files of the voice sets on the PGPSW sound files page (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-ogg-files.php) and if there's a sound you like, I'll split it off the voice for you.
Spiggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Andy. I'm testing the files that you suggested and they don't seem too bad (even with the voice).

Watch this space.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I find they are just loud enough to compare with a "normal" navigation voice" but TT have done something sneaky to get the "text to speech" navigation voices louder (but horribly distorted to my ears), so if you set the volume OK for those, any alert sound is a bit quieter still.

Glad its not just me. I used my 920T for first time today and thought maybe the speaker was damaged. Kate sounded quite gravelly like there was distortion or a bit like a ruptured cone in an old fashioned speaker. Other sounds seem ok tho so presume nothing wrong with speaker. Certainly didn't sound as good as TT5 on my old Ipaq. Quite prepared to lose some reading out if other voices for standard directions are better. not had time to try these yet.

Jon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:

Glad its not just me. I used my 920T for first time today and thought maybe the speaker was damaged. Kate sounded quite gravelly

I eventually gave up on the "Simon" TTS voice and went back to ordinary "Tim" because of this "crunchyness" and my sensitive ears!

What I think has happened is the designers were told to "make it louder" but already had everything as loud as the design of the electronics allowed, so they've done a bodge to get the TTS voice to play TWICE at once, or out of two sound channels at once, which then get mixed together. Louder yes, but now TOO loud for the rest of the circuitry to cope with without distorting.
(No proof of this, just seems likely from some experiments I've done).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: