Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card copy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card copy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: SD card copy Reply with quote

Whislt flicking through your splendid pages some weeks ago, I came across a topic on copying an SD card to back up a map. As many will know if you do a straight copy, some data is not transferred.

I have just purchased the USA maps for my 720, and would very much like to make a back up copy, in case of failure of the card whilst over there.

I have searched and searched and can I find the topic again!

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find all the information you need on the FAQ page which can be found by clicking Here - Mike
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Card Copy Reply with quote

Mike,

you are a gem! the very thing I was looking for.

Thank you

silvo
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: SD card copy Reply with quote

Silvo wrote:
As many will know if you do a straight copy, some data is not transferred.

Do we? Please advise....

The only issues I thought applied were:

1. The "show hidden files and folders" myth(?).
This was first suggested as a "something you might like to do as well" when setting "show extensions for known file types" using Windows Explorer, but it has now become part of the established wisdom as something you MUST do.
As far as I'm aware, there are normally NO hidden files or folders involved when copying/backing up TomTom devices! Laughing (But always eager to be proved wrong!)

2. Whether we should be using a dedicated SD card formatter (eg http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html) rather than the generic Windows formatting routine, especially for SDHC cards?
That site says "Generally, SD/SDHC Memory Card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with the SD Memory Card specification."

As for actually "straight copying" via Windows, I thought that DID copy everything. It is what I've always done, and, of course, it's the basis of the advice always given here for making and restoring Explorer-derived backups.

Discuss?
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: SD card copy Reply with quote

Andy,

I have tried to back up Tom SD map cards before and they dont work, so I assumed something was not transferred across on the copy, although I always assumed in Windows, a copy was a copy.

I remembered seeing this posting, and thought I would give it a try.

There is nothing sinister in it by the way, I do wish just to back up the card in case of mishap.

Ian Silverton
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last post reminded me there should have been a #3 in my list...

3. Since v710 (I think) maps supplied by TomTom on SD card, have got the copy prohibit flag set, so you CAN'T copy those.

But my experience has been that any Map that I've bought or been assigned by TomTom for download has been freely copyable to and from my PC, the Go's internal memory and any SD cards, using Explorer (so long as it only gets USED on the same unit of course).
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Your last post reminded me there should have been a #3 in my list...

3. Since v710 (I think) maps supplied by TomTom on SD card, have got the copy prohibit flag set, so you CAN'T copy those.

But my experience has been that any Map that I've bought or been assigned by TomTom for download has been freely copyable to and from my PC, the Go's internal memory and any SD cards, using Explorer (so long as it only gets USED on the same unit of course).
My understanding was that you could Copy it to the PC and, if you have a problem, then Copy the Backup to the same SD Card.

The Copy protection works with the SD Card Device ID so as such would not copy to another Card.

But then ..... I've been wrong before. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: SD card copy Reply with quote

Richard,

Maybe thats why I had no luck before. I was just looking for an easy way of backing up my purchase, without going back to Tom Tom for another copy, should I ever need one.

Plus,it would have been nice to have a spare on holiday, should I have needed it.

I do realise you cannot use maps between different units.

I will experiment, and if I have any luck, will post accordingly.

Thanks for your reply.

Ian Silverton
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Card Copy Reply with quote

Further to my last post on the copy card issue. I have followed the instructions from the post on PGSW and the card appears to work. Very Happy

That is, a map of the USA comes up after switching maps, and an attempt to navigate to a destination begins, however this obviously cannot be completed.

There is however, a red flashing warning on switching back to the home map(Europe), something about failure to write or update the map card, which would backup an earlier comment about recognition of the SD card.

Ian S
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, what size is the card you have put the map on to, you often see that error if you have put the map on a card of 8GB or higher capacity as the device is SDHC compatable but only works fully with 4GB cards.
8GB and larger are fine for read only files such as music, documents and mp3 but maps need read/ write access from the device which the TomTom cannot do correctly with the larger cards - Mike
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Copy SD Card Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Its a 1GB Dane Electric mini SD in a SD adaptor, brand new in a bubble pack, it was a spare I never used before.

Ian S.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the read/ write lock switch on the addapter isnt set to lock, then make sure the map folder and mapsettings.cfg file contained within the map folder isnt set to read only - Mike
Silvo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: SD Cars Copy Reply with quote

Mike,

Tally Ho!!

You were right, the lock was on the card. Doh!!!!

Thanks again.

Ian Silverton

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: