Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I set up GPRS between Nokia 6310i & iPAQ 3970?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I set up GPRS between Nokia 6310i & iPAQ 3970?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: How do I set up GPRS between Nokia 6310i & iPAQ 3970? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the following:
Nokia 6310i and O2 monthly contract, tariff is O2 400.
iPAQ 3970 running PPC2002 with ROM 2.10

I’ve had a look through the O2 website, and quite frankly it’s awful. It’s as useful as a chocolate teapot for giving you clear and concise information on setting up GPRS on your phone and connecting it to a PDA.

Up until today I haven’t wanted to connect the two together, now TomTom have released TT Traffic I want to join in the fun! Happy

Thanks,
Robert.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the orange web site for some info

http://setup.orange.co.uk/home.html
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Traffic was actually released yet - or am I mistaken?

As I've upgrade my 3970 to Pocket PC 2003, and things are somewhat different on the newer OS, I can't give step by step instructions. Even more frustrating, Compaq UK's web site used to have a PDF file on how to set up this combination (6310i, Pocket PC 2002 Bluetooth iPAQ), but it's no longer online.

Firstly, you need to start up Bluetooth on both devices, browse for and pair your 6310i. Enter the same numeric passcode on both devices. You should then set the 6310i's visibility to "Hidden" to prevent bluejacking. You may have to select the 6310i in the Bluetooth Manager as the dial-up modem - I can't remember, and it's probably automatic if it's the only mobile phone paired anyway.

With Bluetooth still switched on on both devices, you need to go into Connections (Start, Settings, third tab), and create a new dial-up connection. The modem is something like "Bluetooth Dialup Modem" - if you're asked to select port settings, use 115200bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. The phone number should be *99***1# and the extra dial-string command (which you'll only find by pressing the Advanced button) needs to be:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","APN"

(you could try adding ,,1,1 to the end to request compression - but that may cause problems).

Note - the use of the 1 Context ID is a Nokia thing, as the 6310i and many other Nokias only support one CID. On some other brands you should use a different CID, as they support multiple CIDs and using CID 1 can, I believe, disrupt some on handset functions that use GPRS.

The CID is the number after the = in the 'extra' command, and the number immediately before the # in the 'phone number'.

For "APN" substitute the name of your network's GPRS Internet APN. For Vodafone Contract it's "internet" - and the user name and password are both web

So far as I know, for O2, it's "mobile.o2.co.uk" with a user name of username and a password of password

You will need to find the dialing rules under Pocket PC 2002 (under Pocket PC 2003 you can work round this usually useless feature) and set all three settings - international, national and local to G (for mobile phone use, just put everything in the "Phone Number" field and ignore the rest). Failure to do this results in the special GPRS phone number being mangled when it's sent to the phone and you can't get a GPRS connection.

I did find these instructions on the O2 site. They imply that you also need to enter the DNS servers manually - and suggest 193.113.200.200 for Primary DNS and 193.113.200.201 for Secondary DNS. If you can't resolve names without entering these, enter them, otherwise don't bother. (Vodafone GPRS doesn't need any DNS server IP addresses entering - they're picked up over PPP).

A good web page to test once you've got things set up is http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm - the low graphics version of BBC News Online, which works really well in Pocket Internet Explorer, especially if you set the text size to Smallest.

If you use GPRS on your Pocket PC, I do recommend Spb's GPRS Monitor.

My apologies for the potentially quite garbled instructions - do reply in the thread if you need any more help, and feel free to provide more "step by step" instructions than I have. I think this is going to be a very frequently asked question soon!

The 6310i, like most phones, only supports one Bluetooth connection at once. Your Pocket PC will not be able to connect to it if you already have another Bluetooth device connected - even if that is a Bluetooth audio device.

GPRS can malfunction on 6310i firmware versions lower than 5.50 - entering *#0000# on the phone's keypad displays the firmware version.

David
Wizzo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer,

Have a look at connect2internet
http://www.2Kdevelopment.com
For a one click setup the software supports all UK phone networks.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all of you who answered my pleas.

I managed to get it working of sorts (I eventually found the right area on O2’s website) on the afternoon of Wednesday 12th May 2004, which was very useful as I had a trip planned for that evening and I wanted to try TT Traffic.

Well, I saw Traffic working live for my journey and I have to say I’m impressed with it. I hope that TomTom are able to release it to us end users as soon as possible, and perhaps more importantly I hope that their servers are able to cope with all of us using the service.

DavidW, As always, your reply was very helpful. I’ve tweaked my GPRS settings in accordance with your instructions. However I think that I have a problematic Bluetooth connection with my Nokia 6310i (v5.51 firmware). It tends to often drop the Bluetooth connection with the iPAQ 3970. I’ve found that it does the same thing with my Bluetooth Nokia HDW-2 headset.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: