Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for walking - advice needed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for walking - advice needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: GPS for walking - advice needed! Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the most suitable topic as I am a GPS newbie, but here goes...

I want to purchase a handheld GPS device for walking, but need a bit of advice from the experts before I dive in. (I am buying the product as a present for a technophobe!)

Currently I am looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, with the GB Topo Map v2 data, but need clarification on the following:

1 - Is is possible to download 'walk routes' posted online by other users, to use with the device?
2 - If the above is possible, can the device be used to point out the route (i.e. like a car sat-nav does, telling you where to go next?)
3 - Are there any cheaper recommended alternatives? My friend uses a PocketPC + GPS Receiver, but I think this approach might be too complicated for the recipient...!

Thanks in advance!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick reply:-

1 Yes- you should be able to do this - depends on how the routes are stored (eg what format)

2 Yes - it should show the direction to the next waypoint (part of the route). It won't give detailed instructions - it's a point to point system and NOT a routing navigation system - you can't use that sort in the wilds

3 Not really. Pocket PC and associated devices work, but are fiddly, don't have good battery life and are not robust/weatherproof by default.

A cheaper method would be to buy a good non-mapping device (eg GPS60) and let the technophobe get used to using this along with his/her usual maps. You can still download routes/waypoints etc and you can still navigate point to point as with your proposed solution - but you don't have the electronic map - which may not show all the tracks and paths in the UK.

Alo you don't get a large amount of map displayed at any one time - if they are used to walking by looking at distant landmarks (eg hills) then the rangedispalyed may not e sufficient.
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi philpugh

Thanks for your reply - you've helped out a lot there! Smile

Quote:
Yes- you should be able to do this - depends on how the routes are stored (eg what format)

Do you know of any websites that offer this download service? I'd like to take a look at the files/formats etc to see how they work. I presume its a text-based file that the Garmin device can read??

Thanks again.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this site.

There are a number of free utilities ou may need to download to get the routes into GARMIN format. These are simple to use.
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. The GPSUtility software looks like it might come in very handy.

Quote:
Also you don't get a large amount of map displayed at any one time

I presume the Garmin device would let you zoom in/out to account for this (same as the TomTom sat-nav models)??
Can the map be scrolled around on-screen while in use, so you can see what's around you on the map?

Thanks again for your helpful answers!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - you can scroll around and zoom in and out - but the screen is still small Laughing

It depends very much on how used to walking with maps your friend is. Having done 30+ years of it with OS maps (first 1:63360 then 1:50000 and now 1:25000) you get into a routine of checking your direction/location against distant landmarks visible on the map. What you end up doing,without really thinking about it, is basic triangulation. With only a small area of map to look at this gets very tricky - as it is unlikely you can see both landmarks on the same view - let alone triangulate back to your 'position'. It's a very 'seat-of-the-pants' form of navigation - but even if you loose your compass you stand a chance of getting off the walk.

To be honest my GPS is basically used for recording the track for later use - but I do have the route(s) planned and if it's a more difficult walk I have an escape route or two in there as well. I still have paper maps (albeit printed from Memory Map / Anquet) and a compass with me when I walk.
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who this is for doesn't use maps when walking. Instead they usually sit down with a book beforehand (i.e. "Popular Dales Walks" etc) and look at the route, then try and remember it when they're out.

That sounds really bad when I read it back, but that's life I suppose...

They are now wanting to venture a little further afield and attempt some fell walks (Scafell etc), and hoped the device would keep them on-route based on designated footpaths.

Do you think the Garmin device is possibly not the best way to solve this little situation?

I did imagine them plotting the route using waypoints as you described, then setting off and following the Garmin. Again my lack of experience is really showing here.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by looking at basic map reading and compass usage before your friend gets too adventurous, there are course run by GPS Training that combine the above with GPS use and should relly be considered, there may be others that offer this training but I have had first hand experience of the GPS Training days and they are very well worth considering - Mike
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea, I never knew GPS Training events existed! I think I'll give the instruction manual a good read and then see if this course is going to be worthwhile. A trip to the map shop is definitely on the cards...!
wontolla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouchie!
PLEASE please please, do not let your friend venture onto serious hills without map, compass, gps whatever & the knowledge on how to use them!
As a serious walker myself (MLTB course) and able & authorised to teach & lead others, (mostly in the Scouting fraternity) I have had numerous occasions of meeting others on the hills without basic equipment & knowledge to get themselves out of trouble. Indeed, on several occasions having to lead them down an escape route, not something shown on a gps!
A GPS is NOT a substitute for map & compass & a good knowledge on how to use them!
However, used together they can be invaluable & gps has been a lifesaver in the past for myself & several of my collegues who are in Mountain Rescue teams.

PLEASE get them to think again about getting at least some basic knowledge on routefinding.
Baz.
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wontolla

Quote:
A GPS is NOT a substitute for map & compass & a good knowledge on how to use them!

Thanks for your concerns.

I have bought a book to go with the equipment, that explains navigation and GPS devices, and I will make sure that your advice is passed on.

Coming from a sat-nav background I can't quite envisage how the device will function (its a present that's still wrapped up and is hidden away). Needless to say as the recipient is a technophobe, it will be my 'duty' to figure the whole process out and translate into plain English.

I was also thinking about booking him onto one of those GPS weekends where you get shown how to use the devices in the proper environment...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: