Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ITIS Traffic Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIS Traffic Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had confirmation from Smooth that the west Midlands will be covered by Sutton Coldfield transmitter. So same power and location as the Classic FM transmission. Will it therefore improve coverage in the area?

I don't know ..... Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of transmitters within the list that ae used by more than one radio station, WnterHill will be transmitting on 100.4 Smooth FM and 105.4 Centuary FM, The Croyden transmitter is also used by two London based stations (I cannot remember which ones from memory though).

It might be different radio stations will transmitt the RDS data a different tims, it is also quite probable the different stations will have different patterns of coverage, not all transmitters radiate in a true circular fashion. - Mike
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There are a number of transmitters within the list that ae used by more than one radio station, WnterHill will be transmitting on 100.4 Smooth FM and 105.4 Centuary FM, The Croyden transmitter is also used by two London based stations (I cannot remember which ones from memory though).

It might be different radio stations will transmitt the RDS data a different tims, it is also quite probable the different stations will have different patterns of coverage, not all transmitters radiate in a true circular fashion. - Mike

Possibly, but there are legitimate questions about coverage. TM uses a network of local stations and, even then, there are areas not enjoying coverage.

I am a bit disappointed that iTIS isn't going to use a more comprehensive network of local stations.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean about patterns of coverage, Mike. But if, for example it is possible to pick up the Classic FM signal from Sutton Coldfield, say, 15 miles away, I imagine we might only be talking about an extra mile (or one less!) for Smooth. It actuallly seems a bit pointless to duplicate on the transmitters.

Still, as I said, I have no technical knowledge so maybe it actually makes lots of sense and I just don't understand! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect considerably more range from the Sutton Coalfield transmitter than 15 miles or so. The main Classic FM transmission from this mast is listed at 250KW so the new RDS-TMC unit from TomTom should be capable of picking up a signal from around 60 miles away - the Navman T1 will work just as well IMHO.

My devices can work with the Classic FM broadcast from Home Moss which is 250KW and located around 60 miles from my home - I appreciate local terain will have a bearing on this, the newer receivers are much better at picking out the signal and working with it - Mike
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 miles is about what I get with my "old" antenna From Sutton Coldfield. I have no idea about how the new one will perform because I am still waiting for my box from Tom Tom' almost 2 weeks after filling in my details on their web site (i.e., well be fore the postal strike).

I will interested, too, to see how it improves reception from Blunsdon, near Swindon. This is a low power transmission and currently I only get a signal within 1 mile! (though once the signal is acquired, the unit hangs onto it as I drive away for about 3 miles).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice a significant change in reception with the new receiver, this one simply works in areas previously devoid of signals. You still get the occasional orange ball rather than a green indication, all this means is the device is tuning though and once it finds a station transmitting RDS data it locks and receives information very quickly. For an idea of what the new unit looks like see my post Here - Mike
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would expect considerably more range from the Sutton Coalfield transmitter than 15 miles or so. The main Classic FM transmission from this mast is listed at 250KW so the new RDS-TMC unit from TomTom should be capable of picking up a signal from around 60 miles away - the Navman T1 will work just as well IMHO.

My devices can work with the Classic FM broadcast from Home Moss which is 250KW and located around 60 miles from my home - I appreciate local terain will have a bearing on this, the newer receivers are much better at picking out the signal and working with it - Mike

Mike, I've looked for information on the new TT receiver but all I can find are form factor descriptions.

Could you say something about what it is that makes the new TT receiver better and whether or not there's anything that can be done for owners of non TT hardware who want to enjoy similarly good reception?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty, I have used a number of RDS-TMC receivers and the new one from TomTom is a major step forward in the right direction, for example where live (Blackpool) I very rarely obtained any data from the previous receivers without resorting to opening them up and soldering a connection to permit the connection of a good quality aerial. Even these drastic measures were not ideal and did not result in reliable data on the TomTom units, it was better but not by much!

The newer device simply works in areas where previous devices did not, the new receiver picks up a signal and supplies reliable data within a few seconds of switching it on, bearing in mind I am some 60 miles away from the nearest currently working transmitter, this is a major step forward. The same has been borne out in drives through Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Cumbria, the new 4V00-013 receiver works where the others didn't.

If you are using non TT hardware such as the Navman T1 receiver this has an external aerial connection point so I would connect an external aerial (mag mount) either a Sky Scan or Mini-Scan style to the unit. The addition of an aerial external feeding into the car can have seriously good improvements in terms of reception for RDS-TMC, and is a cheap addition to boost reception (if you want an adaptor cable to go between the BNC socket of the Maplin aerial and the Navman T1 PM me with address details and I will put one in the post as I have a couple of spares left over).

If you have another product such as Garmin the aerial feed wire can be connected to an external aerial to increase reception with limited results in my experience - if a receiver is not designed to accept an external aerial there is limited improvement gained by fitting one, the Navman T1 is about the only "properly" designed device in my opinion as it fully caters for different connections. - Mike
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Retty, I have used a number of RDS-TMC receivers and the new one from TomTom is a major step forward in the right direction, for example where live (Blackpool) I very rarely obtained any data from the previous receivers without resorting to opening them up and soldering a connection to permit the connection of a good quality aerial. Even these drastic measures were not ideal and did not result in reliable data on the TomTom units, it was better but not by much!

The newer device simply works in areas where previous devices did not, the new receiver picks up a signal and supplies reliable data within a few seconds of switching it on, bearing in mind I am some 60 miles away from the nearest currently working transmitter, this is a major step forward. The same has been borne out in drives through Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and Cumbria, the new 4V00-013 receiver works where the others didn't.

If you are using non TT hardware such as the Navman T1 receiver this has an external aerial connection point so I would connect an external aerial (mag mount) either a Sky Scan or Mini-Scan style to the unit. The addition of an aerial external feeding into the car can have seriously good improvements in terms of reception for RDS-TMC, and is a cheap addition to boost reception (if you want an adaptor cable to go between the BNC socket of the Maplin aerial and the Navman T1 PM me with address details and I will put one in the post as I have a couple of spares left over).

If you have another product such as Garmin the aerial feed wire can be connected to an external aerial to increase reception with limited results in my experience - if a receiver is not designed to accept an external aerial there is limited improvement gained by fitting one, the Navman T1 is about the only "properly" designed device in my opinion as it fully caters for different connections. - Mike

Mike, thanks for the information - it's appreciated.

Reception with Mio devices is really very poor indeed. Not sure what to do but to look in with increasing jealousy at the quality of the TomTom device :-)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure iTIS may well reply to your concerns, but can I ask you to do something for them - monitor your unit for the next few weeks, and every time it gives incorrect information, note it down (the start and end points of the traffic, the delay listed, the true situation whether better or worse, and the time and your approximate location). Then provide this information in the forum - that way iTIS will be able to better answer the complaints - whether they were straight data errors, entries that took too long to be removed from the system etc. etc.

With the correct details, iTIS may even be able to use your observations to improve their systems (as commented on in this topic before).
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam45 , if you read some of my previous posts you will see that I agree 100% with you. I have never trusted the ITIS derived traffic info (when i could receive it) which is why I continue to rely on my satnav for directions whilst I use my Trafficmaster Freeway for the hold ups!
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam45,

Just out of interest how often do you request that your traffic info is updated?

Depending on the journey I'm doing I set it at 15 or 5 mins. Even with O2 rates I don't find the cost too excessive on doing a 2 hour journey for example. I realise it depends on the data available.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question to the brave man from ISTIS:

Do you expect that duplication of transmissions from the same transmitters, e.g., Classic FM and Smooth Radio both on Sutton Coldfield, will make a real difference to coverage?

Is there any liklihood of further transmitters being added beyond those already planned? It is clear that there are large swathes of the country where reception is likely to still be very poor or non-exisitent when the planned stations come on line in January.
ttquattroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: M4 traffic information Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been travelling up and down the M4 from reading to Swindon, my Tomtom720 + TMC constantly reports lane closeure between Juntion 15 & 14 and Junction 15 & 14. Unfortunatley when you get to these junctions there are no lane closures.

Can anyone shed any light.

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: