Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520/720 Firts Aid Guide / Other Guides not working.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520/720 Firts Aid Guide / Other Guides not working.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: 520/720 Firts Aid Guide / Other Guides not working. Reply with quote

Please see the screen below and if possible please help me how can I restore these features to be working correctly as for now it says "No information avalaible"

Thanks.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a backup of your device from when this feature did work? - if so try copying the "help me" folder from the backup to the root of x20's storage/ memory, if there is already a help me folder in the root of the x20 right click it and post back with the folder size - Mike
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you got a backup of your device from when this feature did work? - if so try copying the "help me" folder from the backup to the root of x20's storage/ memory, if there is already a help me folder in the root of the x20 right click it and post back with the folder size - Mike

Unfortunately I can't do any backup using vista ultimate and tt home 2.0 as it crashes during this operation.

There is no folder called help me
duffer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Help Me" is only showing the nearest hospitals. Al the others, Dentist, Doctor, Police Station, Pharmacy are all somewhere in Southern Ireland. Has anyone any ideas???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Police, Doctors, Dentists etc are all dependent upon the supplied POI files that came with the device, at best these are described as poor resulting in something that is nothing short of a gimmick. As supplied the device indicated my nearest Doctor in Northern Ireland, the route it offered included a ferry crossing!

The use of Map Share will go some considerable way into increasing the POI file content, however I have little confidence in updates being disseminated to end users. For example (and to quantify this statement) I updated the Doctors POI file, uploaded a number of local additions via Map Share/ TomTom Home quite a number of weeks ago, nothing is showing as yet in way of a downloaded update to my other devices.
I even went to the trouble of including telephone numbers so they should have been able to tell the updates I sent were genuine - its not as if I was closing off access to a motorway or such like for example. Time will tell, but IF TomTom are in fact serious about people using and participating in Map Share then they need to improve the situation considerably from where it currently stands - Mike
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Mike i have updated all the help categories with local information including phone numbers, have even received an email in response.
Dear Graham58

Thank you for your Map Correction(s) which we received when you last connected to TomTom HOME.
Your contribution to the TomTom Map Share community really makes a difference and helps to improve the quality of navigation for you and every other Map Share user.
Our dedicated Map Share team, who verify corrections, will ensure that other TomTom users benefit from your correction(s) as soon as possible.

Thanks once again,

The TomTom Team

If you wish to stop receiving these notification emails in the future, please start up TomTom HOME.
Select MapShare preferences then Feedback on corrections in the Preferences menu. To unsubscribe select No.

So If you and others have updated their help categories then I would have expected to be seeing yours on my device. That is not evident at the moment.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike / xda... Doesn't this depend on your "trust" settings for Mapshare?
We've done some tests and Mapshare definitely IS updating.
Someone had added his doctor and it wasn't showing on a friends unit. I temporarily altered my settings to accept "corrections by a few", and it appeared on my next update.

However we have rudely hijacked zYx's original problem...

zYx.. you CAN do a backup, just don't use Home. Instructions are in the TomTom FAQs thread in the "sticky" topics.
Even though it looks like you have lost the Help files, DO THAT BACKUP NOW, efore anything else goes astray.

While doing that backup, have another look for that folder.
If it's not there, can you think of anything you have done to lose it?

Finally, is this actually a 520 or 720, or is it a ONE XL that you have updated to v7 software?
If so you won't have the guides at all.
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Someone had added his doctor and it wasn't showing on a friends unit. I temporarily altered my settings to accept "corrections by a few", and it appeared on my next update.

However we have rudely hijacked zYx's original problem...

zYx.. you CAN do a backup, just don't use Home. Instructions are in the TomTom FAQs thread in the "sticky" topics.
Even though it looks like you have lost the Help files, DO THAT BACKUP NOW, efore anything else goes astray.

While doing that backup, have another look for that folder.
If it's not there, can you think of anything you have done to lose it?

Finally, is this actually a 520 or 720, or is it a ONE XL that you have updated to v7 software?
If so you won't have the guides at all.

Well, I keep having a problems with my device, 520 after it was taken off the usb holder. When I put it back on usb holder the internal memory was unreadable/corrupt etc... at one point my vista system stack so I had to format the internal memory on my friends PC with Win XP. This is not a first time when I Have problem with my device after it was taken off the usb cradle. Maybe third time I had to format both internal and storage memory. It works fine now, I've got the helpme files from Mike (thanks) but what if that will happen again when I take the 520 off the cradle. The memory might me corrupt again... I know I have to wait untill transfer to the device is finished.

Anywayz, I haven't got my original backup, would anybody be so kind and help me with his backup (without map) so I could restore my device to factory state as I've got feeling that my device doesn't work properly. I remember when I first connected the 520 to TT HOME so i could check updates avalaibility and anytime I did that there were some file to update i.e. speed cameras, gps fix and some more, now I can't see anything and I know that my files are not up to date. Haven't got any speed cameras POIs or gpsfix etc in my device. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zYx wrote:

Well, I keep having a problems with my device, 520 after it was taken off the usb holder. {snip}... I know I have to wait until transfer to the device is finished.

Never remove it from the cradle with out clicking on "Safely remove hardware" in the system tray near the clock, and waiting for the PC to say it is safe. (That's on XP, I assume there's something similar on Vista?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I have lowered the settings for inclusion of everyone for updates, fully untrusted and still I wait to see my own submission appear on the other device. I have received lots of updates - it would appear they (TomTom) are taking far too long to process submissions - Mike
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
zYx wrote:

Well, I keep having a problems with my device, 520 after it was taken off the usb holder. {snip}... I know I have to wait until transfer to the device is finished.

Never remove it from the cradle with out clicking on "Safely remove hardware" in the system tray near the clock, and waiting for the PC to say it is safe. (That's on XP, I assume there's something similar on Vista?)

yes, there is such thing in vista as well, but I've never used this before, either on XP or Vista and everything seemed to be working fine. Anyway, I'll give it a go for a while and see what will happen.
Thanks.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nearest POI for Doctor and Dentist are in France, 180 miles away, and I have accepted all mapshare updates since purchase which has not changed any POI.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the box, I only had Doctors in Dublin or on the continent.

Now 20 of the 24 nearest me are in England. (I can't easily check exactly how many there are in the UK in total, due to TomTom's STUPID 24 entries limit they have now on searches.)

But I'm definitelly getting mapshare downloads.

I've also got more categories coming in, because I'd trimmed down my user POI categories to allow all the Mapshare ov2 files and still keep all the PGPSW speed-zoned camera files, but then noticed one of the SPECS categories had vanished. Sure enough there were two extra Mapshare files which had grabbed another two of the 100 available slots.
They have GOT to sort that out!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to see them coming through now on mine, I see some one has added to the Police POI for Bournemouth and Poole.
I have just added another 30 covering Police, Doctors, Pharmacy, Hospitals etc. The only down side I see at the moment is as more are added, so the file size increases, using available storage space on your device.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
lyngarth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Starting to see them coming through now on mine, I see some one has added to the Police POI for Bournemouth and Poole.

Hi
I added some police for Poole and Bournemouth a couple of days ago, which show up on my 720 fine, but my brothers 720, doesn't show them, he has the POI's ticked on the unit and has downloaded the updates but still not showing??

Can't understand why this is??

Lyngarth

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: