Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crackpots going over the edge!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crackpots going over the edge!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
multimap, even has it shown as a nice usable yellow road

So why aren't the media slamming multimap and the road maps that show it?

Quote:
If you don't have a proper 4x4 and know how to use it you won't get up

I often stay in that part of Swaledale and have driven that road and many others of a similar nature, mostly in a VW Polo. If you're sensible and drive carefully you'll get up it.

I think the people who live there are just trying to deter people - which is fine by me! And I'm sure if the place had a different name the media wouldn't have been so interested.
jonajuna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said i havent physically seen it but having driven 3500 miles across the aussie outback inside 2 weeks, i still suspect that if there is a gravel track, its navigable.

steepness has a limit of approx 1:2.5, any steeper and youll need a plane, anything less and any 4 wheeled vehicle will get up it, the limit comes on engine grunt and strength of your clutch. although traction is undoubtedle an issue, gravel unless very loose, tends to be fine for 2 wheel drive, its mud, grass and big holes for when awd is required (unless you want to go fast of course, then awd will help on any surface)

sheer drop or oncoming traffic at 70mph+ the outcome and risk is the same, its only the perception of danger that changes.

if its wide enough for chelsea tractors and landies, its wide enough for a car

i suspect the main factor in why people cant navigate it successfully is because 90% of the drivers on our roads, shouldnt be

;)
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only just caught up with this news item so I am sorry if it is old news but I feel I have to comment.

I agree with most people here - it takes a very special kind of prat to take this route given the obvious problems which must be clear to anyone using it long before they would be any danger BUT

I live on a road which is also 'difficult' for anything larger than a transit van but TomTom uses it as a route betwen two largish towns. It is true to say that , while TT encourages a driver to use this road, there are signs which warn of impending doom if you actually go any further on the road - but most people do - particluarly foreign drivers in big trucks.

I also drive a largish MotorHome and tend to rely on TT whilst away on holiday. I try to apply a fair degree of sceptism to any suggested turning which looks a bit dodgy to me but I have to say that sometimes it isn't always that obvious that the road will , eventually, become a problem for my vehicle and on several occasions it has been necessary to reverse up quite narrow, twisty lanes to get out of trouble.

I think that it should first be acknowledged that there are limitations in the current SatNav technology. I see it admitted here all the time but I guarantee that you wont get TT to admit it - I have tried.

One day, when either the mapping improves or the routing algorithms are improved the problems will go away but at this point in time thay are really only a solution for people in cars but little benefit if your vehicle is larger than that.

Roy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:
I think that it should first be acknowledged that there are limitations in the current SatNav technology. I see it admitted here all the time but I guarantee that you wont get TT to admit it - I have tried.

From the Garmin i3 Product Information Sheet, enclosed with each unit:

"When navigating, carefully compare information displayed on the unit to all available navigation sources, including information from street signs, visual sightings, and maps. For safety, always solve any discrepancies or questions before continuing navigation."

"MAP DATA INFORMATION: One of the goals of Garmin is to provide customers with the most complete and accurate cartography that is available to us at a reasonable cost. We use a combination of governmental and private data sources, which we identify in product literature and copyright messages displayed to the customer. Virtually all data sources contain inaccurate or or incomplete data to some degree. This is particularly true outside the United States, where complete and accurate digital data is either not available or prohibitively expensive".

Seems like an acknowledgement of the limitations to me. I'd be surprised if TomTom didn't include something similar in their literature.

Trouble is, we're all too eager to play with our new 'toys' to stop and read such information first. Wink
Samsung Galaxy S21
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita - I accept that, and you are probably correct in saying that TT probably say something similar but it's a bit of a 'cop out' really. I am not sugesting that one should do without a paper map completely but it is unreasonable to expect someone to check every electronic route on a paper map before embarking on it, although it is not unreasonable to expect someone to read a sign.

The paper maps aimed at road navigation would , in any case, not carry adequate data to indicate non navigable roads and one would have to carry a fairly extensive range of O.S quality maps for everywhere you visit to do that anyway.

As it happens I love TT and even though I understand it's limitations I still get benefit from it when driving the MotorHome. But I can understand how one could find oneself in 'unnavigable waters' very easily because of either inadequate electronic maps or suspct routing algorithms - I have been there myself.

As a matter of interest I mentioned earlier that I live on a road which should not really be included in any route and is adquately marked as such by road signs but many ( usually foreign truck drivers) either choose to ignore the signs or think they can push their way through and every week we get at least one large truck stuck in this road requiring a recovery by a haulage company locally. I have seen brand new caravans virtually ruined by using this road and on one occasion serious injury was caused.

In the case mentioned above the teleatlas maps do appear to indicate a problem with the road but TT appears to ignore this in it's routing algorithm. I have had contact with TT who blame Teleatlas but in this case the maps are actually correct and it certainly gives me the impression that TT are not too bothered.

I only own TT so I cannot compare it with an y other Satnav product - maybe one of the others is better - if so I wish I knew which one because I would happily change.

It would really be nice if the product reviews on this site paid attention to'this aspect - i.e. the routing problems of larger vehicles but they don't. I
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:

It would really be nice if the product reviews on this site paid attention to'this aspect - i.e. the routing problems of larger vehicles but they don't.

We certainly would do if we came across them. the problem is that 99.99% of all routing is perfectly fine, giving acceptable and navigable (is that a word?) routing. It is only the odd 1 or 2 routes that will show these tendencies.

As SatNav becomes more popular we will likely see more and more of these impassable route calculations. I have come across a few when in Europe and these were reported. The same is true of the early mapping and routes. We reported errors as we found them.

Our main problem is that we are not able to record all these strange combinations. Maybe we should start a forum for badly calculated routes and then use these for benchmarking routing algorithms.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mike has said it is a problem as bad routing only comes through experience and using a product over time unfortunatly the site cant provide me with every satnav product going (as currently im the only one drive anything bigger than a car on a daytoday basis and then recording the route is night on impossibledue to various reasons that affect only veihcles my size ie weight restractions) to try out to test as im usually working but could just be on a motorway runs all week have alook at the copilot smartphone id did a while back Wink
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/copilot6smartphone.php

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we getting so many stories now of people being sent on incorrect routes by Sat Nav systems. Just over a week ago there was the story of the ambulance using VDO Dayton equipment being sent over an incorrect route.

I am used to my Sat Nav system trying to send me down farm tracks, unclassified roads etc but have always blamed it on the maps not having been updated for a few years - it is almost cheaper to just buy a new GPS.

If I selected "shortest route" then I would understand it but surely "fastest route" should find the fastest route on main roads and only use unclassified roads when there is no alternative.

I have used Autoroute for many years and it is quite capable of giving priority to main roads.

Is it lack of memory capacity in Sat Nav units? Poor quality map data? Poor quality software?

It is too easy to blame the driver but I want accurate directions that are easy to understand. I sometimes wonder if there has been too much concentration on all the fancy features in a competitive market and not enough on the core function of a Sat Nav unit.

MB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: