Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 has trouble with some numbered addresses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 has trouble with some numbered addresses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: i3 has trouble with some numbered addresses Reply with quote

I've only had my i3 for a few days and am generally impressed with what it can do. However, when adding a few favourites I found that some addresses it can get bang-on, others it's way off the mark. This is entering postcode, house number and then selecting the street. Those that aren't precise don't display the entered house number at the end. I can only assume that the house number data is not complete for all roads? I'm entering addresses that I know (how would I know if they're incorrect otherwise Rolling Eyes ) and that have been there for years (not new build).
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is as much to do with the postcodes as the GPS, some postcodes cover quite a large physical area and so are fairly difficult to navigate to accurately.

Nick.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
I believe it is as much to do with the postcodes as the GPS, some postcodes cover quite a large physical area and so are fairly difficult to navigate to accurately.

I was distinctly under the impression that it would navigate to the door. Those addresses where the entered house number is carried through to the final result (screen with option to 'start navigating' etc) are very accurate despite the post code covering a wider area, those that seem to ignore the entered house number seem to centre on the street instead. Hence my assumption that the house number data is not complete.

Having said all that it's still a very impressive gadget for < £100.

I have found a solution for any of my favourites that suffer from this; Using EasyGPS and MS Autoroute I can get accurate Long/Lat readings and upload those.
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put my home postcode in the i3 thinks i'm on an adjoining road which has a different postcode to mine, so I was a bit disappointed with that too and these roads have been here well over 100 years.
deanos63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe garmin will come up with a fix for these problems in a download

i just ordered an i3 with version 8 city nav installed for £130 from ebay Laughing sorry just had to mention that!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
maybe garmin will come up with a fix for these problems in a download

i just ordered an i3 with version 8 city nav installed for £130 from ebay Laughing sorry just had to mention that!

It would require new mapping data that they won't be providing for free or soon as the V8 maps on the later i3s is very recent.

If you read the warranty information when you get yours you will note that there is explicitly no warranty cover for these when purchased via eBay or any other on-line auction where there is no proper receipt from the vendor, if it's a dealer/shop that can issue a proper receipt then you should be OK though.

Most likely it's an individual that snapped a bunch of these up from Somerfield, PC World or Currys for £99.99. I got mine from Somerfield for that price (well local stores had sold out but a friend got one for me in East Lothian). However, even at £130 I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to this topic, I've found an address that my i3 seems to barf on - and it's far from being a new address, either.

If I enter the postcode and then house-number, it gets the address wrong, and comes up with an address nearby. This isn't one of those scenarios with anything new, or anything other than standard house numbers.

If I don't use a postcode, though, and enter the town / city, house number and street, it finds the address quite correctly.

I never have any problems using the postcode and house-number either in autoroute, or any other postcode and house number search.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: