Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C310 - advice please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C310 - advice please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrispiiDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Garmin C310 - advice please? Reply with quote

Hi folks

Please be gentle with me. I'm trying to get up to speed with my new StreetPilot, but I am slightly confused!

For some reason, when it is in our Zafira, it takes at least a couple of miles before it's "Ready to Navigate" compared to my Punto where it seems to acquire more quickly.

Is there some sensible explanation for this as it's driving me (and DH) nuts??

What would be the expected time for acquisition please? I'm not sure what to expect and whether it's doing the job properly for me?

Many thanks in advance - I've been reading in this forum and it seems like you guys REALLY know your stuff.

Any advice very very gratefully received!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain types of windscreen that are not as 'transparent' to the low power GPS signals that the C310 (or any other GPS) acquire. I think that certain Vauxhall, Renault and Peugeot models have heat absorbing (as opposed to heated or tinted) windscreens that aborb some of the GPS signal before your C310 can receive it and in my experience there's only one way around it - an external aerial which the C310 can accomodate. I have one on my C-Max which has both a heated and tinted windscreen but not a heat absorbing. You can buy the Garmin aerial at £60 or so or a unbranded one off eBay for £20 or so. I've not heard any negatives about the latter.

Personally, I think the external antenna is worth the money just for maintaining a signal in urban canyons and reduced signal acquisition time.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Zafira - running an i3 - and found that a cheapo external aerial from eBay (£14) - stuck to the underside of the sunroof - works a treat! 8)

Aitch
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake - it was even cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5859018943

Aitch
KrispiiDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks both for taking the time to reply.
We'll certainly investigate the antenna option! And there I was thinking we had a duff unit!

Would anyone happen to know if it would be the same fitting for an i3 as my c310 please?

Cheers!
Cheers!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of my knowledge all Garmin external antenna connectors are the same...
KrispiiDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You!
That's a great help.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrispiiDuck wrote:
Would anyone happen to know if it would be the same fitting for an i3 as my c310 please?

Yes - they both use the MCX standard fitting.

Aitch
KrispiiDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: One more whilst I'm on a roll please???? Reply with quote

Just noticed in the "system menu" that there is an item called GPS mode.

Should this be set to WAAS or normal please??

(told you I'm new at this game!!)

Thanks again - you're all stars!!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: One more whilst I'm on a roll please???? Reply with quote

KrispiiDuck wrote:
Just noticed in the "system menu" that there is an item called GPS mode.

Should this be set to WAAS or normal please??

WAAS will give you slightly better positional accuracy, but it's still in the development/testing stage in Europe - plus it drains the battery quicker.

If your not bothered about battery life (ie: using car adaptor), then there's no harm having WAAS selected - it will fall back to regular GPS if it isn't available.
KrispiiDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Thanks again guys!

I've got a new antenna and it does the job perfectly. Very impressed!!
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin I3 back in September. My mum was so impressed with it that she went and bought one too. She had £120 of Halfords vouchers so bought it there. For £199. When I found out. I told her how silly she had been £199 for an I3 (had V7 maps too) when yopu can get I3 + v8 maps for £99 now. Said best thing she could do is take it straight back and exchange for a C310 as there was nothing else in Halfords she wanted except a GPS.
OK another few quid but Halfords are at least reasonably competitive on the C310. Selling for £279 (rrp £350 isn't it?)
Anyway, think she should be returning it today. Said if theres no benefit to her having the C310 over the I3 she can have my I3 and I'll give her the diference and a bit more.

Now I assume I did the right thing. Can someone tell me what she will get with the C310. I know its only UK maps like the I3 but does it come with a cut down Mapsource CD/DVD of just SD card like the I3. Are all C310 v8 maps ? Can you extract POI details from a C310 with the software provided. I know the I3 laks the software.

P.S. Regarding reception. I have the same problem with reception on my Peugeot. I find that the I3 when attached to the windscreen will not work but even if it did work I could never reach it their anyway.
However when attached to the quarterlight at front of drivers door , it gets adequate reception. I also find it a much more convenient place.
This might not be so good with a C310 because it is bigger but the I3 is best on the door (if you have a quarterlight) It sticks to the glass better because the glass is flatter. It only once fell off, but it cannot drop and hit the road because it is attached to the cable which lies across top if steering column. In the Pug 307 if it falls it will only swing and hang in the foot well without hitting anything.
On the C-Max the quarterlight is not part of the door so thats even better. An I3 would attach to the small C-Max quarterlight and get reception through it. A C310 may be too bulky however, but you should try there. If you dont get reception immediately dont assume it is no good. It may be the location or the fact that reception is slightly impaired. It may still get reception after 60 seconds or so. So just try driving withit there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: