Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NPR Rips Navteq Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NPR Rips Navteq Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: NPR Rips Navteq Maps Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5140674

I found this from National Public Radio today. I recognize that all GPS maps have some flaw, but I havent seen anything where I was supposed to drive through a sidewalk using the maps on the TomTom 300.

Interesting article, you can also listen to the NPR newscast.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: NPR Rips Navteq Maps Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
I recognize that all GPS maps have some flaw, but I havent seen anything where I was supposed to drive through a sidewalk using the maps on the TomTom 300

I have seen some pretty good ones. Routes that took me up farm tracks and one where I had to ford a river are my favourites. I did get there in the end though! Laughing

As for driving up a sidewalk - you have to say to these people, "If your GPS told you to drive off a cliff then would you?" Sometimes they take it all too literally and get mighty wound-up when it asks them to do something illegal, impossible or impractical.

Far from what Navteq claim, there are lots of errors in their maps (in the UK anyway). I could name 20 or more off the top of my head. Some of this is because roads change quite often but other errors have existed for years.

With the explosion of sat nav systems, the likes of Navteq have to raise their game and get these errors fixed promptly.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, while I am happy with the tele atlas maps for tomtom, i'm sure they are paying attention to this article and proactively upping the accuracy of their maps as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: