Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Leeds to London route - HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Leeds to London route - HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Leeds to London route - HELP Reply with quote

Hi all

travelling from Leeds to London. i3,AA and RAC recommend m1 route.

Autoroute recommends a1/a1(m) and has a significantly shorter time even when I slow down all driving conditions.

Dont know how I3 and websites work out the time but RAC says it assumes 30mph on normal roads and 60mph on motorways.

Just wondered if any travel this route often and can advise on best.

ps. need to arrive london 2:30 so prob need to set off about 10:30
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing Leeds to London, my autoroute (2005) gives the M1 (taking just under 3 hours)... I guess it means you're borderline as to which route you could take - are you coming from East of Leeds and/or headed to the East of London?

Sounds odd about the times - can't see how an A-road could possibly beat the motorway over that sort of distance. A-roads are full of problems - if there's no major motorway prblems (like oil depots exploding and causing them to be shut again) I'd say your better off with the motorway.

I don't regularly drive this route though...
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from NE Leeds (Otley/Harrogate)

I think a lot of sections are motorway standard and it avoids most major townscities on way to london, so it could be quicker.

I had a mate that worked at BP (I think in Hemel Hampstead) and I am sure he used to travel this route as it was quicker, but then again that was about 15 years ago.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of going down the M1 at the moment. Traffic is going to be slow past the burning oil depot (less than a mile from the M1) and if it takes a turn for the worse then the M1 could close which would cause chaos. Check the traffic reports before you go.

Adding a Via point at Stilton and it should take you via the A1(M) route which appears to be pretty fast road and roughly the same journey time.

Good luck!
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have always found A1 and A1M a problem as is the M!, it is a lottery.
I'm a seriously high mileage business driver and I have family in leeds and work and customers that way. If you are going to central london, west or south, take M! 15a onto A43 past silverstone to M40 jnc 10 and cut out the M25. M25 south of Milton K is a nightmare even if Total are not trying to BBQ the local traffic.
A43 route adds about 7 miles but has saved me dozens of hours over the years, even leaving the M40 on A404M road past Maidenhead to M4 and taking option from there to avoid M25 and west and north london and the M25 from Heathrow around to M11 are a good option at times.
People look at you as if you are mad when you mention the A43 route, but loads of people no that it is a far better option 9 times out of ten. Beware Mr Plod acting as laser gun larry on the M40 though!!!!!!
mcintyre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm near Leeds and travel to London occasionally - trust me the A1 will be a lot quicker than the M1
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks all, went for the A1 route, was about same time as M1 but obviously missed the goings on because of the petrol depot.

Returned on M40 as I had meeting in daventry next day, from Daventry got back on to M1. That journey was a bit quicker combining the two legs and avoided the M25!!!

By the way, anyone have similar funny routes like the one on top gear that went via Ireland and France for a forty mile or so journey????? 8O 8O 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: