Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Shorter/Fastest Route - which is best?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Shorter/Fastest Route - which is best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Shorter/Fastest Route - which is best? Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been covered before I have done a search but got little back.

I'm still getting to grips with my SPi3. I wonder if any of the ol' pro's here can tell me which works the better for them whether it be the Shorter or the Fastest Route setting? Or if there isn't much in it...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"shortest" is generally reserved for special occasions like scenic bike rides where you want to avoid highways. Most of the time "fastest" is what you want.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent questioned answered. Thanks :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lutz. I sometimes use shortest in heavily built-up areas or when I hit heavy traffic or for short trips in town.

The problem is that it can take you through some odd places. Mine took me down a series of country lanes in Cornwall and I ended up having to ford a river at one stage. It does get you there though! Laughing
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy i'll bear that in mind when im nearing a river. Laughing
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"OLD" Yes! "PRO" NO.
If you have a read through my post at "I3 Routing" thread I have made some points there about the two options.
Basically fastest route takes you on faster roads. Around Leeds,London, Plymouth and Bridtol I found staying on fastest route had I3 routing me to ring roads and by-pass routes and could actually take me out of town around motorways and DualC's and drop me in the other side of the destination from the point I started from. It works some times being faster, but I factor in city traffic flow around rush hour peak times as it can take you furtefer than you need to go. (This is OK if you know a bit about where you are going ).
As said before, I find a quick look at the chosen destination on say multimap and then pair with I3 route and decide if switching to shortest route maybe a better option when you get to the motorway exit nearest to your chosen destination.
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Great thanks for the tip. Wink
Minx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Ta crazylegs.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that for city driving or heavy traffic conditions, you want the shortest route.

For longer journeys e.g inter city, or in a rural setting, you want the fastest route.

I think it is a good idea to compare the summary of time/distance for both route types.
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it know the quickest vs shortest, is this based on road type. ie motorway/A road/B road etc.

I ask because A roads roads are most prone to congestion and having speed cameras.

My route into Leeds if I followed the Garmins advice is littered with speed cameras and congestion, so I go my own way and save about twenty mins (8 mile journey)

I assume it must go on road type, otherwise it would have to know all speed limits to calculate and could optionally warn if you are over.

I love the I3, and rely on it for getting me to places I have never visited previously, but I would never take it's route around where I live!!

Did anyone see the Top Gear episode where someone used the AA Planner for a journey of about 20 miles, I think it was somewhere in the midlands, but asked it to avoid (I think) the M5? It took them via Northern Ireland and France!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you either trust them or not!!!

Are the units that know of traffic jams etc more reliable?
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does it know quickest versus shortest?
I think the shortest route function simply ignores road speed considerations in the calculation, and comes up with a logical route.

The quickest is simply a calculation choosing the fastest roads, but ignoring the distance.

Both methods are valid, see my post earlier on which I would choose and when.

As an example, I tried Exchange street, Sheffield to Rotherham interchange. On my C320, shortest route is 7M in 17:41. Fastest route is 9.8M 14:28. In this city driving example, fastest route is inefficient, as you would queue in traffic for an extra 3 miles!

are traffic units more reliable? I am not convinced, have a look at the forum on TMC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: