Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So which way must I turn?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So which way must I turn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BikingBud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: So which way must I turn? Reply with quote

So what do you suggest for someone who's yet to take the plunge. I have always been a comitted map man and enjoy just poring over maps and getting a general feel for an area. However with GPS and Satnav this all changes. Although I'm not certain that I will completely leave maps behind as the few times I have used a Satnav I find the very limited field of view quite difficult to get used to. Maybe I should just start to trust the machines rather than querying where they take me.

Anyway I live in Munich, S Germany but will be returning to the UK next year. So I want something that covers as much of mainstream Europe as possible without having to worry about changing files over etc. Also I want something that is small and easy to fit to the bike, the waterproofing, the ability to record and play back where you have been, (great when you decide to just ride and enjoy) as well as the differing options for grid references convince me the Quest is the way to go.

Then everybody confuses the issue again by saying the Quest 2 is out and how good it will be etc, how much better.

Come on some clear cut advice on the best solution ie value for money, availabilty and ease of use, both on a motorbike and whilst setting the routes up. The recent POI implemntation seems like a nice to have but is not mandatory.

Also what options are there for exporting the Satnav to somewhere like New Zealand and still getting a service of any sort?

BB[/i]
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quest2 is good value for money. And, there are Garmin routable maps for New Zealand for NZ$ 180,-, so the Quest2 will not be lost there. ;)

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: So which way must I turn? Reply with quote

BikingBud wrote:
Also what options are there for exporting the Satnav to somewhere like New Zealand and still getting a service of any sort?

BB[/i]

Welcome BikingBud

I still look at paper maps from time to time but normally I plan complex trips on the PC using Mapsource and then load the route and waypoints into the Quest.

The small screen is odd to start with but you get used to the fact that it's not so much showing you a moving map (which you can't really read on the move, especially not on the bike) but rather it shows you the distance to next turn and exactly where to go when you reach the turning which is what matters!

Yes, it will take you on a few slightly odd routes but the value of having directions outweighs the occasional strange detour. There is nothing to stop you ignoring the directions for a while if you don't like the route it is sending you on! The Quest will recalculate and pickup your new route.

If you don't want to upload maps then definately get the Quest 2.

As for the POI alerts, you may not see them as important while you are living in Barvaria but I can assure you that you will appreciate having them when you are back in the UK, there are cameras EVERYWHERE here.

Eh? New Zealand too! You get around a bit, mate!

Elsinga, are you sure the New Zealand maps are routable? Last time I was there I got some maps but they were not routable. Can you check and give me a link if you can find one!
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NZ maps are now in a couple of versions, one if routable as it seems. Link is on my www.elsinga.net/links page.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
BikingBud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Getting around Reply with quote

Cheers for the responses chaps. Then it seems I might wait for a while as the recent good prices for the quest will not provide the best product.

As for the travelling, i will be coming back to the UK next Jun, I may be going to NZ at some point in the future so I want to make sure anything I buy will function there as well as it does in Europe.

180NZ$ seems quite a lot for the maps but if i will only need them if I go.

Top info on you site Rob. Thanks again.

BB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: